mt_skydiver

Bat Hang Exit from a 182

So I have been working on really nailing the "bat hang" exit from our Cessna 182 (you know, the exit where you hang by your feet upside down from the leading edge of the wing). I have perfected getting my feet up there but I just can't seem to "hang on" for more than a second after I let go of the strut with my hands and hang free. Are there any tips out there? I have been really focusing on pushing down with my toes to apply pressure to the wing but it hasn't been working so far. Any help would sure be appreciated! Thanks and blue skies!

You'll never find me Jew gold!

Did a 3 way with a bat exit The hanger found it grippier using duct tape around the toes believe it or not..
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Point your toes!

Seriously,
How much do you weigh? Are you in good shape with strong legs? Can you do it on the ground while the plane is parked?

It also takes some good upper body strength to get up and in position before you let go and hang.

I did this many times when I was younger and a bit dumber and it really does take some practice. It may take a few tries to get it down.

I used to be able to do it on the ground and hang by my toes with a parked airplane. Not for very long mind you, just a few seconds. I would let go, hang, and then grab the strut before I fell on my head just to make sure I could do it before trying it in the air.

But, it is actually easier in the air once you get into position because you have the relative wind holding you into place.

If you can't do it on the ground you will not be able to do it in the air.

Make sure the pilot is cool. You don't want the safety police after you.

If you can't do it on the ground you will not be able to do it in the air.

Not true.. it is much easier in the air.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I have never done one but have video'd a couple. He just told the pilot what he was going to do and when he went to put his feet up the pilot had cut to a low airspeed until he had his feet hooked. Then he gave it full power and I guess it just held him there until he wanted to release. He held it for a good 5-10 seconds.

Righto... case of the last line of a communication being the one that sticks in the mind. My bad..

You are right, if you can't pull your feet up there on the ground you won't be able to do it in the air.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Very cool! In that picture it looks like you are by the wing strut. I saw on a video where on a 182 exit the guy gets out on the step, reaches around and hangs off the leading edge by his hands (his back facing the wind) then he shimmies out to the very end of the wing. I'm just curious to how much yaw would be produced by a person hanging off the leading edge of the wing and the end of the wing.

No, I'm hanging from the wing, and I'm pretty sure that was in my no shoes era. I used to jump barefoot.. till I swooped the top of my foot off.

I'm right at the end of the strut, and the pilot said really it wasn't that bad.. but keep in mind these guys are used to 4 way teams and tandem + video hanging off the side of the plane.

saw on a video where on a 182 exit the guy gets out on the step, reaches around and hangs off the leading edge by his hands (his back facing the wind) then he shimmies out to the very end of the wing.

I have done that and it is a very fun exit. Any moisture on the leading edge in the morning makes it very hard to hang for any length of time. It is surreal looking into the plane and being that far away.

Now if you want to see a really fun exit try climbing underneath and up the other side of the plane. It is hard but not impossible. It messy with your head a little bit since everything is reversed. The pictures don't have anything done to them for the non believers. I own a racer and for the people that know racers you can't get a pillow handle for the reserve and you can clearly see my orange cutaway on the proper side. It took me a long time to figure out a way to do it with just using my hands and legs.