mhcook

seeking opinion on advice given

Hello all, please review and comment on advice I was given 'cause second opinions are useful. Anyway, I've been having trouble flaring my Student rig at the DZ, same size, but different rig than I used to finish my aff jumps. I asked my Instructor for AFF jumps to video my landing and give advice.
He did and I promply bounced on my ass for the camera. After reviewing the film he suggested I wrap some of the steering line around my hands to shorten the steering line and get more travel out of it. He was my instructor so while I trust the advice, let me know what you think, please. Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Its called taking a wrap. when you evenly circle the steering lines around your hands. Making the stearing lines "shorter".

Your instructor saw it so take his word. But if thats the case the DZ should shorten the steering lines so all the students won't have to take a wrap.

It also *could* be the fact that its a different canopy so it behaves differently. The canopy your jumping now may have heavier toggle pressure than the one your used to jumping. You may not be getting a full flare. If this would be the case than taking a wrap isn't the ultimate solution. Get to know your canopy.

but what do I know I'm not an instructor.

your instructor knows best.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Our student rigs have lengthened steering lines so students cannot stall the canopy (without wraps, obviously). They can still land fine, neing able to stall a canopy is not necessary for a good landing. Sounds like either you're not flaring all the way (very common) or the steering lines are too long for you. Anyway be careful when taking wraps: you just attached your canopy to you now what if you need to chop?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

hello,

You should not have to wrap the lines at all.
Try flare a bit higher. Take it up 5ft and hold it.

There are more issues that can go wrong with wrapping than just learning to fly the canopy.
You can half drop one on landing and have a lopsided landing.
Play with the brakes up high. Flare till you cannot flare anymore and gently release. You should beable to fully flare to your groin and get snouth lift on the canopy.
You have not mentioned how big it is or what make.
If the canopy is old technology, you won't get a decent flare any which way you try.

Ensure you are jumping good gear and then there will be no need to start playing with wraps. They hurt your hands anyway.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

My understanding is at the DZ you are learning at there are very good instructors available.

You need to listen to your instructor’s.

No one here knows what your progress has been, what your body type is or what kind of gear you are jumping. There is no way for anyone here to offer sound advice to someone over the internet concerning this issue. Everywhere you go opinions will be different because there are so many configurations of equipment and various methods of training techniques.

One of the hardest things to do for an instructor is to work with someone who insists on doing things they way they learned from some stranger on the internet. So do yourself a favor and work with the individuals that are there keeping a watchful eye on you.

You may already have a good technique for your
canopy-type/WL/elevation/conditions/etcetera
and if you decided you are going to flare higher because someone gave you landing advice without knowing anything about you, it could result in a potential hazard for you.

To answer your question directly, I have witnessed very good experienced instructors have students use the wrap technique over the years. Many.

Just make sure you communicate with them concerning issues of safety like when to take the wrap, how it affects EP’s etecetra…

Hope this helps…

Edit to add:
Get advice from more than the one instructor, perhaps get a couple different instructors to look at your landings and see what they have to say.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Your instructor saw it so take his word. But if thats the case the DZ should shorten the steering lines so all the students won't have to take a wrap.

That's not necessarily true. This guy might have short arms, there may be something configured differently on this rig like shorter risers, etc. I wouldn't go around changing brake lengths because of a single student.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm new too. That being said . . .

After reading Brian Germain's book, I started working on slow flight/stalls w/ my slow, big, first rig canopy. I found I could not stall the canopy, up at altitude. After taking a wrap, I could stall it and my landings got better too. I guess my brake lines are a little long, but this works for me.

Stan

Everyone, Thanks for the advice and good tips. I have tried to stall the canopy I was working on and had my toggles to my belt. I'm a big boy at 230# and flying a 260 rig. Next jump I will take a wrap up high and see if I can stall and go from there. Again, thanks to all who read and replied. Blue Skies!