Akey

Cheating the students?

First, you've jumped to a conclusion that the tandem students are being cheated, without knowing all the facts.

Second, your extrapolation of concern from that tandem exit altitude to other serious matters goes way too far to be automatically justified.

I am going by the testimony of the above poster. Since there isn't an actual dropzone listed I am considering this a hypothetical situation.

The poster says the tandems are being told one altitude, and being dumped short of that. Even if it is for saftey, clouds above, the student should be informed. If they aren't then they are being cheated and managment is unethical in my book.

Shit rolls down hill. People who act unethically in one area, will do so in another. Why do you think public accountants do such stringent background checks of managment in the post enron era? If managment has poor ethics and judgement in one part of their life, then they tend to act the same way when running their company.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I know! I let YOU take my cousin, remember?

I do remember even though that was 3 years ago. That was a fun jump, it was out of a CASA wasn't it?

AOT 2004, and a skyvan I think. BTW thats awesome that Morgan is already going for her AFFI. That girl is kicking ass! :)

I am going by the testimony of the above poster. Since there isn't an actual dropzone listed I am considering this a hypothetical situation.

The poster says the tandems are being told one altitude, and being dumped short of that. Even if it is for saftey, clouds above, the student should be informed. If they aren't then they are being cheated and managment is unethical in my book.

You are making a judgement based upon only one side of the story, and therefore don't know all the true facts. You don't know if they encountered clouds, and whether or not they were informed of that problem. Note your own use of the word "if" in your reply, above. So I think it's premature for you to use such strong language in condemnation at this point.

People who act unethically in one area, will do so in another.

Not necessarily.

People who act unethically in one area, will do so in another.

Not necessarily.

But VERY likely. Sounds kinda like a pointless argument to me, as you can't be certain about anything, except death and taxes, as they say. [:/] But DougH has a perfectly valid point...

Edited for spelling
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

In my quest to visit all the DZ's on GB I did visit one that jumps lower than 10K. To their credit they let me know in advance what altitude I could expect.

If they are telling the students what to expect and that's OK with them then where's the harm.

I've seen tandems spend money to get to 18K and forego the video for the extra freefall. Not what I'd do, but it's not my money. Out of curiosity an interest in promoting my sport, I talk to many of the tandem students to find out why they are jumping, who's idea it was, and what they thought of the experience. They seem to choose a drop zone for a number of reasons - with very few exceptions, altitude isn't one of them.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

...They seem to choose a drop zone for a number of reasons - with very few exceptions, altitude isn't one of them.

VERY good point. Come to think of it, I have never heard that reason stated. Usually it's:

1. Something I've always wanted to do.
2. My friends idea
99 My bitch of a wife set it up for me.
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...They seem to choose a drop zone for a number of reasons - with very few exceptions, altitude isn't one of them.

VERY good point. Come to think of it, I have never heard that reason stated. Usually it's:

1. Something I've always wanted to do.
2. My friends idea

When I did my first, it was a matter of being in Vegas and wanting to do it.

Second time around, with a choice of several Bay Area DZs, it was most definitely the 18k that sold. (though a different question is how high does your 18k DZ really go over the usual 14-15k).

Third time around it was pick a nice new scenery. And I thought #2 was poorly organized - we were out there half the day. (little do I know then...about #3 and most of the busy tandem sites I'd later see. )

Though the various places weight policies also came into the equation. Those that would do 220 will always win over those who would suggest a HnP at 201.

We rarly have them exit above 9k, this is standard practise over here (for all DZ's). Weather sometimes dicatates 7k, this is still a "normal" altitude. Video goes along until 8k, after that we ask them what they want.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

$1 per pound over 200 up to 250. The students know they are getting out at 6k. Tandems at Lodi are $99...nothing to complain about;)

You have that a little wrong... it just $1 per lb. for anything over 200 lbs. there is no max.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

I do not wish to discredit the dropzone as it could well end up becoming my local. It treats fun jumpers very well, it has an excellent atmosphere that i have not found elsewhere, I did not meet any skygods or any other snobbery for that matter and everyone was very helpful. In all honestly i think it was one of the friendlist DZ i've been to, its only really the tandem thing i find a bit wiered. I mean in all honesty i do find myself asking if it actually matters, i mean would any student be bothered? At the end of the day, they still got to jump out an airplane...

It treats fun jumpers very well, it has an excellent atmosphere that i have not found elsewhere, I did not meet any skygods or any other snobbery for that matter and everyone was very helpful. In all honestly i think it was one of the friendlist DZ i've been to, its only really the tandem thing i find a bit wiered. I mean in all honesty i do find myself asking if it actually matters, i mean would any student be bothered? At the end of the day, they still got to jump out an airplane...

Wrong wrong wrong wrong .....wrong. If the dropzone does as you states they are mis-leading those who keep our sport just a tad cheaper. This sport should revolve around tandems and AFF. We should buy THEM their beer at the end of the day. We have all been there.... some worse then others. I appreciate the students who pay upwards to 250 dollars to make a jump, I appreciate that look in their eyes as they are getting ready, and I appreciate that they are taking thousands of their dollars to go through AFF (if were lucky ) at a dz that I feel deserves business because I respect the owners and staff.

Personally a DZ could treat me like gold, give me cheap jumps and free gear rental with a steak dinner every weekend, and I would love it, but let me see students treated as less and screwed out of their hard earned money because the management is buddy buddy with the fun jumpers and I would walk away and never come back....

A students jump helps support many of our friends in this sport, from video to manifest, TIs and dzos etc... if they dont respect themselves enough and want to shit where they eat, I aint sitting down to dinner with them...[:/]
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Wrong wrong wrong wrong .....wrong. If the dropzone does as you states they are mis-leading those who keep our sport just a tad cheaper.

How are they misleading anyone? They clearly state what the deal is at the outset. Lodi misleads no one about the service they provide and they do it cheaper then anyone i've ever heard of. Thire student gear is new and the instruction good. I know your responding to a post on DZ.com but it sounds as if you are badmouthing a DZ you haven't jumped at. If you think they are providing poor service you are wrong.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Did you read the first post in this thread?

IF they are charging for 10, pretending the student is getting 10, and then giving 7 are they not lieing and cheating?
=P

IF they are charging for 10, pretending the student is getting 10, and then giving 7 are they not lieing and cheating?

If that was the case, yes. It is not the case though.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Did I miss a retraction by the original poster, or is the original poster wrong?

I feel like I am missing something here, if this is wrong:

visited a dropzone the other day (shall remain undesclosed) and was rarther surprised to find that they were charging full price for altitudes of around 5-6k to tandem students. On seeing one of their videos i heard it mentioned that they would be going to 'around 10k' however they didn't appear to even get 10sec of freefall, i think i counted around 8...

then I apologise and I will shut my yap. I don't care where the toss the meat out, as long as it is on the up and up. B|
=P

The other posts refrence different specific dropzone, and I wasn't refering to them at all. I was refering to the first post in this thread. So you are saying that the original poster was wrong.

I am fine with that.
=P

You are correct sir. I was referring to other posts and have realized he is not talking about the same DZ. That part about reading the entire post/thread elludes me on occasion :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Please don't call me sir. ;) ;) :ph34r:

I just didn't want to seem like I am bitching about sending tandems out at 6k if they are told that upfront, and I wanted to know if you knew something that I didn't so I didn't end up with my foot in my mouth. :P
=P

Please read the quote you yourself quoted me as saying and notice I stated "If the dropzone does as you state",were in regards to the original poster, on his original thread... I do not begin to think that just becasue someone comes on here complaining about a dz means it is true. I stayed out of it at first because it just seemed like another upjumper pissed cause they and their 20 dollar lift ticket arent worshipped....until he decided to downplay students in our sport, and therefore I found it "wrong wrong wrong wrong" , I could give two shits about a a disgruntled fun jumper wanting to defame the dz they no longer visit because in the end the rightful party will prevail, if the dz sucks people wont go, if the person sucked then next month he will be on here about another drop zone ...but its not right for one to negate a students place or the need for them.

As far as "cheating the students" I could care less what altitude they get as long as they are being told the truth or weather exceptions etc.... want to throw a tandem out at 5 grand for a clear and pull fine by me ... just means turning more loads... but its a different ball game when a student is lied to.... and thats what he implied was happening. He also implied that after thinking it through it wasnt a big deal. Students to me are, and every dz Ive been to has given top notch service to those willing to make their first leap, because it is a big deal. A first time tandem as most of us know first hand, usually fights alot of fears to do this, and on top of that they spend alot of money on something that the world has them thinking will kill them....

And as far as people coming online to defame a dropzone for personal motivations associated with drama and he said she said bull shit... people see through it usually and the person outs themselves...

I know your responding to a post on DZ.com but it sounds as if you are badmouthing a DZ you haven't jumped at

Im sorry you read it that way, once again I ask that you read his post on how he feels on students and then re-read what I wrote. It would take alot for me to defame a dz. Im also going on a long time with no sleep and if I didnt have to stay awake id have no reason to read things from up-jumpers degrading the heart of our sport.

So since this turned into a noval, I will summarize just incase like me, are getting adhd and need a point. My point is that I think the original poster had other motivations then students safety in his need to post. I think that anyone who degrades a dropzone under false pretentions is a jack ass. And i may be a 100 jump wonder but no one will ever hear of me bitching at or about a student, the students whose fees help make my ride to altitude cheaper. Im to tall to be in 182s the rest of my skydiving time... and thats what we would be without the student. Jeesh even my summary is to long [:/]
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this