Grips

How Much Tunnel Time for AFF

So I finally made it to the DZ today, I got to do 1 jump on the last load of the day. It was my 3rd attempt for AFF 3.

I'm still struggling with it, and need to do that jump over, again. Which is fine, I still had fun.

I'm struggling with my turns, and a little bit of stability. I felt pretty good through most of the dive though, and think it went better then my last.

Anyway, we don't have any Wind Tunnels in Perth, the nearest one is in just outside of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. So, we might be heading up that way for a few days to log some tunnel time.

Question is, how much tunnel time do you think (ballpark figure) for AFF student to help them get through these stages? I'm thinking of booking about a half an hour.

Also has anybody been?http://www.extremesportscafe.com/skydiving_tunnel.html

How was your experience with them?

Thanks.
;)

my wife had the same problem, after 10min in the Tunnel in Genting she was fine. The instructors in the tunnel are very nice, but they are non skydivers. It is useful to take a skydiving instructor with you.

You can do some basic training in the tunnel so there is no waste of money...

blues,
Marcus

Don't go with Extreme Sports Cafe. I have been cheated by Mr. Northcott (trying to do a AFF course with them). They are just reselling the tunnel time anyway, so you end up paying less if you book directly.

http://www.genting.com.my/en/themepark/skyventure/index.htm

[email protected]

Mail to them what time you will come, and how much time you wanna take, and they will get you a reservation. Most of the time it is not a problem to extend (when their schedule permits) or shorten your flying time on site, you pay just the time you fly.

I found that for the first tunnel experience 30 minutes is a pretty long time (tiring), so if you stay a few days you might want to break it to more sessions than one.

I did the the same thing after my Level 4 and it helped me alot. The prices there are so cheap so you can just play a bit. Note that there a no skydivers with the instructors, so you should know yourself about what you want to practice. They are very comptent in tunnel flying, though.

Overall a great experience there, I have been there 4 times already, sometimes just for fun.

PM me and I can give you some more tips regarding hotels etc.

edit: to make link clicky

Good call from Voltage.

I echo what the rest have said - my girlfriend was having some AFF-3 issues, and went in for 10 mins tunnel time...then split another 15 minute block with me. Her next 3 jumps have been stellar. She's glided right through them, according to her instructors.

And my tunnel time has helped me immensely recently - I've been working on sit-flying since getting the license, and the tunnel skills have kept my belly-flying in good shape.

I would also echo what Voltage had to say above about getting a 30-minute block at once: you will be exhausted if you do it that way. Might be better to do 2 15-minute sessions, if you can.

Have fun!
Signatures are the new black.

"The instructors in the tunnel are very nice, but they are non skydivers."

Most, if not all, tunnel instructors in Denver are skydivers and/or AFFI's...I've flown with two of them on my AFF jumps. Maybe we are just lucky!

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Hey, I got 180 jumps and did my first tunnel time today (17 1/2 minutes). I'm bruised all over, aching like I've been run over, and feel more crap at RW than I did before. Having said that, I did all my time in 2.5 minutes on 2.5 minutes off rotations, so by the time the fifth one started I could barely hold an arch I was so fucked.