azureriders

What to do, What to do, Accuracy??

I know some people want nothing out of skydiving more than an occasional fun jump, but I think most of us have been faced with the what to do question, four way, camera, CRW, Instructor, etc.

Red (Mrs. Azureriders) is coming up on her 100th jump and asking herself that same question. She is very interested in learning Accuracy. Given both our limited experiences, and never being to an accuracy meet, there is a lot of questions to be asked.

Where do they still have accuracy meets? Are they all 'style' and accuracy? Any links to some good begining reading material? Any other input on the subject?

Our DZO has done some accuracy in the past and has offered to coach her. Any other advice or info would be appreciated.

Great resource to contact in the states is the crew at www.skydivericks.com. Most of them are serious about accuracy and they are one of the few centers in the US to have their own inflateable accuracy pad. Not to mention they are a great group to hang out with too :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It's a bit far for you, but there are regularly accuracy meets up here in the Northwest and British Columbia. There's an annual meet at Skydive Snohomish (the Al Zilk meet in May), that has both sport and classic accuracy. Then there's a group of folks that move around from DZ to DZ in Washington and BC and hold smaller meets (both sport and classic) over the course of the summer (I attended one of the meets which was at Northwest Skydivers in Mt. Vernon this year - what a blast to watch!). I think the classic accuracy tuffet used in those competitions is owned by a guy who lives up in BC.

It's definitely alive and well up here in the Northwest, though I suspect that may have a lot to do with our weather and the fact that accuracy is the perfect thing to work on when all you can get are hop & pops. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Next spring Spaceland in Houston will be having the Sanborn meet, which includes accuracy. Whether or not you find a regular place to work on it before then, please do come out -- it's a chance to compete with a great bunch, and you can talk to some of the regulars.

And you can get D1 in your logbook :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)