stormpoint

1st jump coming up...nervous

Hello all,

I am currently considering my first (and only) jump in Switzerland next year in Interlaken, with Scenir Air.

I have always wanted to do this, since I first saw the skydiving scene from the film Point Break and had to rewind it 3 times in admiration and awe...

I'm sure that it is something i want to do, I do not fear flights or hights but I certainly do fear death like any normal person does... But I think it's more then that... It's also because I have found my soulmate and possibly lifetime partner in a few years to come.... I've also just started a professional career after many years of study and growing up. Do i dare take the chance at never having kids?

Also, anybody know if this company is reliable? low fatality rate? very safe? secure? good parachutes? good tandem instructors?

http://www.skydiveswitzerland.com/en/skydive/welcome/

Thanks very much guys,

-New guy from Aussie land

I do not fear flights or hights but I certainly do fear death like any normal person does...

I don't dear heights, I fear the sudden stop and splat at the end of the fall. ;) :ph34r:

A lot of those questions would be best anwsered by the dropzone you intend to go to. They can tell you all about the skydive, the risks involved, and the saftey precautions that are taken to help mitigate those risks. They should be willing to to discuss any accidents that they have had, and explain what they learned or changed as a result.

Try to keep in mind that this isn't jogging...
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It's also because I have found my soulmate and possibly lifetime partner in a few years to come.... I've also just started a professional career after many years of study and growing up. Do i dare take the chance at never having kids?

Do you realize that a predominate amount of this audience is exactly as you described? We have Executives, Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots, Physicists, Engineers, Professors, Police Officers. And, we have those with one child, multiple children, some children who come to the DZ, some kids who go on to become skydivers, some whose grandchildren have gone on to be 3rd generation skydivers?

Having said that, let's talk a little about Gambler's Fallacy. You have just as much risk on your first jump as you do on your 10,000th. You have a personal decision to make and it shouldn't be based on a movie.

Good Luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Good point you make there about all of you guys having just as much to lose.

In regards to the earleir question, I want to skydive in Switzerland because I've seen the youtube videos over Interlaken and was blown away by that scenerey. Australian DZ's looks nice but nothing at all like this.

I figure, if I'm going to do it just once... let it be in the nicest possible place?

Anyone know anything bout that company i listed?

Any info is much appreciated...

thank you all

Why and how are you so sure that this will be a one-time thing? If you are really as intrigued as you said you are, what makes you think a one-time fix will relieve that desire? I would venture to say lots of folks on here made their first trip to the DZ as a 'one time, just to experience it' type of thing. Keep your mind open to the possibilties of the future.

Why look at it as a one-time thing... unless you're pretty certain you will bounce :P.

hehe well i just figure that I only want to risk this once, get this major life goal accomplished and remember and treasure it for a lifetime..

yeah, I can remember saying that "once."

Yeah, just "one" for me too; boy, that got out of hand in a hurry...

hehe well i just figure that I only want to risk this once, get this major life goal accomplished and remember and treasure it for a lifetime..

then again who knows? I know i've got an addictive personality :ph34r:

I am new in the skydiving sport as i made my first tandem(and only tandem) jump jsut yesterday. I am in the military and about to go to iraq. I told myself that i wanted to do it at least once before i die....lord forbid something happen over there. yeah that mentality changed while i was freefalling. I realise right then and there that i will have my class A license before i ship out to iraq. And this coming from someone that grew up hating rollercoaster and was deathly afraid of heights. 90% of poeple that say its a "one time thing" revert and at least do it a few more times..with most going on to making it a hobby or a new sport. Like i said before..i am brand new to the sport and i love it already and it will onloy get better as i gain more instruction and experiance!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I said I probably wouldn't do it more than once. Now I've got 10 jumps and one away from finishing AFF. Hoping to have my own rig within the next 6 months.

If it's something you want to do you just have to have faith in your gear and instructors and say "fuck it" and tell the fear to kiss your butt. That's what I do and I've gotten to the point now that I'm not very nervous anymore when it comes time to exit that door.

Although, when I get to the door I still have that fear of "falling out" somewhat and tend to not stick my head out far enough, but once it comes time for me to jump with no supervision I'm just going to walk out and worry about being stable later. :P Instead of standing there waiting to check in and out and letting that "fear of falling out" come in.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

In regards to the earleir question, I want to skydive in Switzerland because I've seen the youtube videos over Interlaken and was blown away by that scenerey. Australian DZ's looks nice but nothing at all like this.

I'll be surprised if you can tell anyone what the ground looked like while you were in freefall. I think your brain will either be on information overload, or you'll be too busy geeking the camera to realize that it's there - or a little of both.

If you want to look at pretty mountains and lakes in Europe, go buy a scenic flight.

If you want to skydive, go somewhere with good staff, good people and good gear and just do it. I don't know where you are in Australia, but if you're anywhere near Brisbane, I'd suggest Ramblers out at Toogoolawah. There are other places elsewhere in Australia. Do some searching on here or on Google. If you want people's advice, do a search, as in the short time I've been here, I've seen a bunch of "Where's good near XXXX, YYYY" threads. If there's not one for where you are, then start one.

Also - I, like many people, never thought I'd get hooked when I went for my first time one-and-only tandem skydive. Don't assume that you won't like it too much, also.

Oh - anxiety is normal. If you want to see the range of emotional states you might go through, check out Skydivergirls.com episode 3. This reminded me so much of my first tandem.