orribolollie

Dropzone Pilot on a PPL?

Can anyone help with the above question? Can you pilot a jump plane with just a PPL?
If 'no' what ratings do you need?

I am contemplating investing in the PPL and imagine it would be a great way to get your numbers up..if you can.

Thanks in advance.
Ollie:)

No. You MUST have at least a Commercial Certificate.

Further, unless you're planning to own, operate and self-insure the aircraft, you'll probably need at least 500 hours before most people will hire you.

All that said, the Commercial Certificate is one of the easier to get. It's basically a tighter tolerance Private Certificate. You'll have to fly to tighter tolerances and know a bit more about genrally flying in VFR conditions, but it's pretty easy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There is an exception process that a DZ can go through for the use of PPL for jump operations for their club. However, the number of PPL only pilots that a DZ would *want* to have for a jump pilot is pretty low. Flying jumpers isn't like flying somewhere for a $100 hamburger.

On the flip side, even if the exception was filed, the insurance would most likely not cover you in the airplane. Get your PPL, then work on the requirements for you commercial, all the while (depending on the plane) sit right seat and learn in the jump plane.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok thanks guys. How the hell do people fund the flying hours from PPL to commercial pilot?

The same way people suck it up and get enough jumps to become an instructor with a D-license. Packing. Ok, well, there's no packing to be had for flying, BUT you can ask the flight school if they need someone to wash planes, answer phones, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I take it from your home DZ that you are in the UK. If so I believe you can fly jumpers with a PPL but cant get paid for it. Have a look at the Ops manual on the BPA website. Should be something in there.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

I am starting my instrument rating tomorrow. I charged my way through my PPL and it hurt. Now I am getting a low interest education loan along with my Veteran's benefits to pay for my follow-on ratings including commercial and CFI.

Good luck though. Flying is as good or better than skydiving. I learned to fly a plane first. Skydiving came about 5 years later.

Good luck!

David

I think that in order to fly skydivers in the UK, you require 100 hours and a PPL, unless you hold a skydiving A licence in which case its (unbelievably) only 75 hours.

I think youd be very lucky to find anyone who would hire you with such low experience though.

In my opinion they've got it right in America. I don't know if its the decision of the DZOs there or the insurance companies but 500 hours is a much better number.

In Australia you need a PPL with at least 10 hours on type as pilot-in-command.

If you have a D license (200 jumps), then you have at least 120 hours total flying time, with at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command.

If you don't have a D license (200 jumps), then you have at least 200 hours total flying time, with at least 100 hours as pilot-in-command; or you have a commercial licence for that aircraft.

APF OpRegs 3.7
http://www.apf.asn.au/Documents/Publications/OpRegs.pdf
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

You can get a restricted commercial and be legal . You need 10 hrs complex time as if any jump plane you would fly would be retractable. You are restricted to 25 mile radius to do your climb outs so you might be restricted on some demos. Just land and start your 25 over again. You have all the cross country and manuevers of a full commercial and need the same medical only with a tether. Any way the license your refering to is a private pilot license. in a SEL catagory Single Engine Land. Hope this helps

No. You MUST have at least a Commercial Certificate.

Yes, IMO for what he meant, but not what he asked.

Can you pilot a jump plane with just a PPL?

I thought you do not need more than a PPL to fly a jump plane provided that it is not for hire. For example I could legally fly a jump plane as long as all aboard are not paying for the flight, or we all shared the cost of the flight.

He may not fly for hire, or even for hours since the FAA sees hours as compensation. So it would have to be for free for all, or he would have to share expenses.

Or did I miss understand the regs?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I thought you do not need more than a PPL to fly a jump plane provided that it is not for hire. For example I could legally fly a jump plane as long as all aboard are not paying for the flight, or we all shared the cost of the flight.

Sharing the cost is the operative phrase. Any argument for private pilots flying for clubs is a grey area at best. Weather or not you are being paid as the pilot really doesn't matter. You still have customers paying money to be on that flight. Also, I have heard of some FSDO's claiming that the hours you are building are "compensation".

In the US the commercial ticket requires a minimum of 250 hours. The insurance requirement is usually commercial pilot and 25 hours in type. I have never heard of a 500 hour requirement to get into a 182 or 206.

Skydive Radio

He may not fly for hire, or even for hours since the FAA sees hours as compensation.

This stems from a fairly old Legal Interp about a similar situation with glider tow pilots flying for clubs. Even though no money changed hands, the FAA Office of Legal Counsel saw the hours as a form of compensation. When I was a CFI, I used to keep a file of wierd Legal Interps, that was one of them and this was years before I ever thought of skydiving.
quade -

Yep, one of the the larger multi-plane operators has a 700 hour requirement to fly their planes due to insurance requirements.

I don't doubt that is the case for larger aircraft ie turbine or multi. But if he is just starting out he will probably be looking for a Cessna operator. I know we have put several pilots on our insurance over the years with fresh commercials and well under 500 hours.

Skydive Radio

The FAA has violated pilots for flying jumpers w/o a commercial license.

Jane F. Garvey (FAA) vs. Robert R. Rawlins.

Docket SE-14006
August 21, 1997

The private pilot's license was suspeneded for 90 days for flying jumpers. The FAA argued that the DZ, even though it was a club, was being paid. Not all of the jumpers (tandems, students, etc) were members of the club and the club advertised like a business. Even though the pilot was an unpaid volunteer, they were not sharing expenses with the passengers. The shared-expense exception is only valid where the pilot and pasengers share a common purpose in the flight and does not apply to parachutist operations.

Derek

So what if you owned the plane, or ultralight (which is not yet under the FAA untill 2008), and simply wanted to take your friend up for a jump? Class E airspace, US, middle of no where, like over BLM land? Is this legal?

So what if you owned the plane, or ultralight (which is not yet under the FAA untill 2008), and simply wanted to take your friend up for a jump? Class E airspace, US, middle of no where, like over BLM land? Is this legal?

Ultralights ARE under the jusidiction of the FAA right now.

Specifically FAR 103.1(a) would prohibit such an operation out of an ultralight (although it has been known to happen anyway).

As for a person sharing the expense of operating the aircraft, yes, I suppose that could be legal, but the pilot would REALLY want to know what he was doing and have all his ducks in a row when the FAA Ramped him.
quade -

Ultralights ARE under the jusidiction of the FAA right now.

Specifically FAR 103.1(a) would prohibit such an operation out of an ultralight (although it has been known to happen anyway).

As for a person sharing the expense of operating the aircraft, yes, I suppose that could be legal, but the pilot would REALLY want to know what he was doing and have all his ducks in a row when the FAA Ramped him.

I understand that the FAA classifies aircraft, such as ultralights, and even sets the flight limitations. What I ment was the the pilot does not hold an FAA license, so its a grey area at best. The FAA is requiring all ultra light pilots to become at least sport pilots by Jan 2008, and N-numbering the ultralights. Then, the FAA has complete control, right now, its like someone begin told how to drive a car, yet not beign issued a license.

So FAR 103 classifies the ultralight, but does it, FAR 105, or any other FAR prohibit a non compinsated ultralight jump. We are not talking an organized DZ. 103 states the ultralights may be flown by single person only, but if you are a BFI ( Basic flight instructor ) or a sport pilot with an N-number ultralight, you can carry passengers. I am asking because I get the answer "it is ok" from a ultralight instructor (now called S-LSA FAA instructor). Trying to get to the truth....yeah, this is always fun with FAA rules. In the ultralight world, they are changing by the minute.

thanks