flyinchic

Sore after 1st IAF

So, after 7 tandems, I finally had my first IAFyesterday. I wasn't as nervous as I thought i would be. I was, however, anxious about the landing and flared a little too soon - resulting in a butt slide...the butt hit the ground a little harder than I would have liked and now I'm feeling it. I was wondering if I should be this sore all over. I guess all of my muscles tensed up just prior to landing because of my nerves...maybe that is why I am sore? I wore a hard helmet this time (as opposed to the frap hat) and the back of my head is sore. Not sure what that is about (b/c I thought the helmet fit fine). Just wanting to make sure that this soreness is normal and I couldn't have done something or injured myself and not really known it. Even with the soreness, I'm ready to go again & can't wait to do my next jump. I don't think I"ll be so anxious about the landing next time!
Christie

it's pretty normal.

I'd get used to being a little sore, especially if you're not an extremely active person already. Skydiving is a pretty physically demanding sport.

I've been jumping pretty much every weekend for the last 2.5 months, and usually something is sore each monday morning.

My arms are sore today from playing with front-riser dives all weekend... also the mystery cuts, bruises, and scrapes never fail to appear a few days after the weekend. (Some from jumping... others from the drunken activities afterwards B|)

I got sore after my first AFF too. I don't know if it was caused by my landing (I flared too high as well and tumbled a bit) or just because I was using muscles that my body wasn't use to using. I felt just like I did after my first couple attempts at snowboarding and just like snowboarding the sore ness went away after a couple more times.
Fly like a girl

It is normal to find bruises later on in the week, and not have a clue where they came from. :D

Try to avoid getting into a habit of sliding in on your butt when your landings are less than perfect. It is very easy to damage your tail bone or your back that way. A PLF might not look as pretty, but it is much safer.

Edit: it looks like some one else already mentioned this to you. :$ Congradulations on your first solo jump, it only gets better from here. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It is normal to find bruises later on in the week, and not have a clue where they came from. :D

Ha ha! That happens to me too! I came home with a huge bruise on my knee after jumping on friday and I have no idea where it came from. I even stood up all my landings:S:D

Fly like a girl

i've been finding a bruise on my upper left thigh the day after i jump. i'm thinking it's probably due to a leg strap that's too tight - but it's never on my right leg, just my left. strange.

you probably initially lean to the left on openings. So your left leg gets the majority of the opening force and then after full inflation, you move around and distribute the weight evenly.

That's what I tend to slightly do, it is not noticeable to me under my sabre 150 since the canopy is pretty much fully inflated by the time i'm able to look up at it (and it's not REAL sensitive to harness input), but after jumping a slow-opening elliptical canopy this past weekend, I was able to see how the harness position affected the opening and how I really had to actively fly the canopy throughout the opening to keep it on-heading.

i've been finding a bruise on my upper left thigh the day after i jump. i'm thinking it's probably due to a leg strap that's too tight - but it's never on my right leg, just my left. strange.

you probably initially lean to the left on openings. So your left leg gets the majority of the opening force and then after full inflation, you move around and distribute the weight evenly.

i'll have to start paying attention to that. i think you might be right. or is it left. :)