skydiverek

No more Relative Workshop...

1) Mach Reflections

Def:Mach reflection (NASA Thesaurus)
The reflection of a shock wave from a rigid wall in which the shock strength of the reflected wave and the angle of reflection both have the smaller of the two values theoretically possible.

2) Vernal Parachute Technologies (VPT)
Definition of vernier engine (NASA Thesaurus / NASA SP-7, 1965)
A rocket engine of small thrust used primarily to obtain a fine adjustment in the velocity and trajectory of a rocket vehicle just after the thrust cutoff of the last sustainer engine, and used secondarily to add thrust to a booster or sustainer engine. Also called vernier rocket.

3) Virtual Gravity Systems

definition virtual gravity (NASA SP-7, 1965)
The force of gravity on an atmospheric parcel, reduced by centrifugal force due to the motion of the parcel relative to the earth. The virtual gravity g* is

g*=

where g is the magnitude of the acceleration of gravity; V is the parcel speed; a is the earth's radius; and n is the component of the earth's angular velocity vector normal to the motion of the parcel.
For reasonable atmospheric values, the correction terms are of the order of 0.01 percent of the magnitude of gravity. The identity of g* and g is implied by the assumption of hydrostatic equilibrium

Yes, UPT sounds like a sop to military procurement officers.

Besides the old "Relative Workshop" label is so 1970s.
Back when Bill Booth started the company, relative work was the hot new skydiving discipline, popular with the long-haired, dope-smoking, baggy pant hippies of the day.
The FAI dropped the term "relative work" a long time ago, so it is no longer relevant.

If you want to sell to the military these days, you need either a vague "big corporation" name or something including the words joint, special operations, covert, etc.
Like wow! Man! Like deja vu all over again!
The word "Joint" had a special meaning to all those long-haired, dope-smoking, baggy pants hippies back in the 1970s.

There is another more significant importance that everyone including the lawyer types seams to be missing here. If Bill buys only the assets and not the liabilities of the other companies and forms this new company which is what I bet he did, then he just shed all future liability of about 45,000 containers. I give Bill credit as it is a smart business move.

What is better than being "uninsured"... being non-existent and having no assets!Wink Can anyone say check mate?Tongue

If that is the reason of the name change, I think BIll wants something totally different than RWS, to go sure that the liability thing can't get "mixed up"

Can anybody tell me some more about the "uninsured" part of the name, please...
Somebody wrote that RWS first had an insurance and was getting sued, often. Then they cancelded the insurance and addet the uninsured to the name. so the lawyers stoped sueing the company because they knew that they wont get any money ???????????

Hope s.b. can understand my bad english :-)

N24

Almost a must in the modern world of commerce and manufacturing.

Not at all.

In the world of military contracts I think you find that response lacking.

But that's not what you said is it?

ISO certs are fun and all B| but most industries are comming off that buzz.
Remster

Hey, Bill.

Back to the suggestions for a new name...I'm only a year in the sport, but gotta say, 'The Uninsured Relative Workshop' is the name that stuck most in my head of all the rig manufacturers...followed closely by Sunpath.

Maybe it was because of the demos on the Skyhook. Maybe it was beacuse of reading around here. Or (and this is where I think it really is) maybe it was because it's just a darn good name.

Nonetheless, it did make me wonder if Vector's were freefly-friendly for a while, but that was just me being a bit green. :)
So here's the thing - I think the reason your company name stuck so well (aside from its quirkiness factor) was that it conjures up an image - a clear, distinct mental image that any skydiver, from AFF student to pro, can picture. Sunpath does the same thing - there's an image (sun) to tag onto it, which helps a person remember it.

And with 'United Parachute Technologies', there's no image for my mind to latch onto besides (duh) a parachute. Which doesn't set you apart from any of the other manufacturers out there, on a 'remembering-your-name' level. My mind has nothing to distinguish 'United Parachute Technologies' from 'Parachute Concepts' or something like that. It sounds too...generic.

I personally have a penchant for quirky names, so if you're looking for a 'legit' name, I'm not going to be really good at suggesting anything. But I will second the person above who recommended making 'Skyhook' the cornerstone of your new company name. It has a great mental image - I've remembered it since I visited your website back in February and watched the video for the first time. It has enough edge to keep me interested...and it's professional enough to get some square people interested (military, for instance).

So for what it's worth, 'Skyhook Technologies' is my vote.

Whatever you choose, though, from an advertising standpoint, I'd say you should run it past the 'mental image' litmus test. We need more colorful names in the sport. Keeps it interesting. ;)

Anyway, best of luck, and thanks for all you've done to advance the sport. I'm looking forward to getting a Vector, when I can save up enough to get my own rig. :)

I really like the above post but have to say that Bill Booth has done alot more than just the skyhook for us, and then the skyhook is not exactly the biggest thing in skydiving at this present time (sure it will gather alot more momentum once it is on other manufacturers products).
So calling it \ 'Skyhook Technologies' iis really limiting what the product for sale is.
As you are new in the sport you may not know but the three ring system was perfected by Bill Booth as well.... something that is one of the biggest things in skydiving.

I think some excellent names have come out of this thread and the more i see the name Bill is going with the more it gives me a picture of machines clicking over like a mechanical workshop or smething. I really do hope Bill does not stick with that name as it just takes all the omph in sports parachuting out of skydiving.

If Bill is changing his name for military contracts, i myself believe he is doing the wrong thing.. No other companies are changing their names and they have military contracts in parachutes and the name 'relative workshop' is a winner. I am sur any agency looking at bulk parachute equipment are going to have a parachutist weather they be in the military or sport side of things as a consultant and most of the skydivers in this world today have grown up with 'relative workshop'.

If you can Bill, stick with the name you gave your baby and be loyal to it. If you have to change your name, what a hassle, i sure hope it is worth it in the long run for you.

Good Luck with the new venture you are persuing.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Almost a must in the modern world of commerce and manufacturing.

Not at all.

In the world of military contracts I think you find that response lacking.

But that's not what you said is it?

ISO certs are fun and all B| but most industries are comming off that buzz.

You right, companies doing business with the Federal Government are probably not all that modern. And while "most industries are coming off the buzz" Uncle Sam is still insisting on sticking to it. At least they did on the last few contract/programs I work on.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>>Back when Bill Booth started the company, relative work was the hot new skydiving discipline, popular with the long-haired, dope-smoking, baggy pant hippies of the day.<<

I'm so tired of modern day jumpers misrepresenting the past with tripe like the above. We never wore baggie pants . . . it was baggie jumpsuits!

NickD :)BASE 194

How bout Raravis Technologies. haha that first word is a short version of a latin word for a rare bird. Then you have your nice RT acronym. Just a thought. I would believe that most of us got into skydiving to get away from the norm so a name that sounds like the norm is no fun. But then again what do i know im just a lowly Whuffo! haha Blue skies...
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I'm very sad to see such an honorable and respected name go away for just another bland corporate moniker. But time marches on and the move and all that goes with it probably do make a lot of sense.

I remember a time when the Wonderhog rig was advertised in Parachutist magazine with cartoons of two pigs fucking in a barnyard. I'm NOT making this up either. And they used to call their revolutionary single point cutaway system a "3 Ring Circus". God, those were the days....

But here's all the best to you Bill Booth, after all it's your company and you can do whatever you think best. Especially after all you've done for us !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

>>Back when Bill Booth started the company, relative work was the hot new skydiving discipline, popular with the long-haired, dope-smoking, baggy pant hippies of the day.<<

I'm so tired of modern day jumpers misrepresenting the past with tripe like the above. We never wore baggie pants . . . it was baggie jumpsuits!

NickD :)BASE 194

Nick,

Riggerrob ... um ... started jumping in 1979 or so......

But you're right about the pants. ;)

I am sad to see "Relative Workshop" pass from the present day vernacular. But, United Parachute Technologies is wa-a-a-ay better than Formation Skydiving Workshop... (God I hate the term Formation Skydiving>:()
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I am sad to see "Relative Workshop" pass from the present day vernacular. But, United Parachute Technologies is wa-a-a-ay better than Formation Skydiving Workshop... (God I hate the term Formation Skydiving)

If you have 2 or more jumpers in the air together they are doing "Relative work". They can call it anything they want they can't change the fact they are trying to fly "Relative" to each other.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals