skydiverek

No more Relative Workshop...

Relative Technologies (i like this one)
Phoenix Parachute Systems (rising up from the flames in new life)
Booth Systems Inc. (BSI) good looking abv BSI would look good on mud flaps.
Three Ring Innovations (TRI)

there is my little contribution good luck =)

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Relative Wind Solutions (if you want to keep RWS but want to change the name).

Booth Parachute Solutions
Complete Areal Engineering
Booth ParaSystems Engineering
ParaSystems Engineering
ParaSystems Solutions

SwampWater Tactical (ok, that's a joke take off of BlackWater).

Then the obvious variations of those. A shiney new rig to any possible "winner?";)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Suggest: RWS, LLC

Just the initials, so you don't lose the branding.

IBM used to be...
EDS used to be...
AT&T used to be...
ABC used to be...
CBS used to be...
CNN used to be...

Dammit! Your gonna put consultants like me out of business!

Frikking people coming up with thier own idea... B|

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

I like the new name, it sounds Corporate, more umpfh for that type of world. I'm sure it'll help with Military contracts and such. Plus it will help when Bill decides to hang it up and retire, makes for a better sell,,,,,which is want we want for a guy that made our skydiving world better and safer !! Go Bill and thank you !
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

All right...Give me a better one. You've got one week.

One option: Keep selling the Vector3 as the "Relative Workshop Vector3". Keep the website and email addresses (auto-forward them to UPT addresses if you wish). The fact that the invoice says "United Parachute Technologies (the home of Relative Workshop)" won't bother anyone.

Personally, I think the Vector and Sigma brands are at least as strong as the Relative Workshop brand. However, I also feel that The Uninsured Relative Workshop has an appealing quirkiness that United Parachute Technologies lacks. I know that when I was a brand-new jumper, the name really stuck in my head.

Best of luck with the transition.

There is another more significant importance that everyone including the lawyer types seams to be missing here. If Bill buys only the assets and not the liabilities of the other companies and forms this new company which is what I bet he did, then he just shed all future liability of about 45,000 containers. I give Bill credit as it is a smart business move.

What is better than being "uninsured"... being non-existent and having no assets!;) Can anyone say check mate?:P

A rose by any other name .........

When was the last time you bought a piece of skydiving gear because of what it was named?

I have always thought that "uninsured" was the cool part anyway.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

All of these need "The Uninsured" stuck on the beginning and "LLC" or "Inc" or whatever stuck on the end. I also haven't checked any of them for possible collisions with existing names, trademarks, etc. You could expand the ones like "Foo Systems" into "Foo Parachute Systems", or "Foo Parachutes" into "Foo Parachute Technologies", etc. Having said all that...

"Miracle Pig Technologies"
(inspired by slightly buggy automated translations)

"Distant Relative Workshop"
"Unrelated Workshop"
(silly variations on the current name)

"Debounce Systems"
(you might have to be a bit of an electronics geek to understand this one)

"Skyhook Systems"
(make the hardware the name, like three-rings)

"Stronger Parachutes"
(I can't think of anybody who could possibly object to this name)

"Hirsute Parachutes"
(hopefully self-explanatory?)

"Vector Delta Systems"
(current product name plus "delta", meaning a change - unfortunate acronym though. Not "Sigma Delta" - that sounds like a fraternity.)

"Slot Perfect Systems"
(you might have to pay off one of the moderators on here a little bit)

For any company name, a possible tagline: "Pre-Second in Parachutes"

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

"Complete Relative Workshop Solutions":)
I have a feeling that sport market sales are not the driving force behind the name change. And world wide it contributes a relative, no pun intended, small percentage to the overall gross sales. :P Just a guess.

Skydivers have an over-inflated view of their importance in the larger scheme of things.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There is another more significant importance that everyone including the lawyer types seams to be missing here. If Bill buys only the assets and not the liabilities of the other companies and forms this new company which is what I bet he did, then he just shed all future liability of about 45,000 containers

I didn't miss it.
Can you say...game...set...match!;)

And I'll take Slot Perfect for $1,000 Alex.;)

The problem is - I can't think of a better one... Relative Workshop was the first name I knew in the sport, because when I was reading books learning about the sport, it was the name that stuck in my brain. The others slipped away...

As sport skydivers, we know just about every container out there by model name, but knowing the company that makes the container is more difficult - I still get confused who makes the Wings and Javelin. Both have the sun in their name, but I don't identify with those names...

If you asked me who makes the competitors rigs, I honestly would have a hard time with some models... The names are not catchy.

If the RWS name change is indeed for those lucrative military contracts, the sport business can still DBA (Doing Business As)...

Someone else had a line I like:

"United Parachute Technologies
Home of the Relative Workshop"

Someone else said something that I disagree with... That people don't buy rigs because of the name... I call BS. I have seen you write and say on skydive radio - something to the effect of - skydivers don't care about safety, but follow fashion trends (in reference to belly bands and the change to smaller three rings). Names, teeshirts, logos, and who jumps the rigs - do sell rigs... Want proof - go to different DZs. Some DZs you see more of one brand, because maybe that was the student rig brand so students knew the name, or maybe the gear store pushes that brand more or the instructors jump that brand... Without naming brands, I can think of two that I don't see at home but see in Florida and Eloy a lot.

This change reminds me of the 1985 move Coke made to the "New Coke" flavor. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209828/ I still remember my grandmother's stash of the "good old stuff" that she stockpiled fearing Coke Classic would never come back.

Some might say that there is no such thing as bad marketing, and the "New Coke" was just a marketing stunt - and others claim that the "classic" that came back was really a 3rd flavor that was cheaper to produce (change in sugars used), and the "new coke" was just a distraction... Whatever, it was a major change of the best known product in the market.

I just remember thinking when I read the new name... "That is a tongue twister, I don't see people putting that on their car or teeshirt unless the logo is real cool."

I think when companies like "PD" are changing their logo to be more "trendy" - and go from "Performance Designs" to "PD" - the posters who have commented "RWS" may be a good name, might be right???

I just like the name "Workshop" - as it means to me, "innovations", "freedom", "change", "ideas" - etc...

I agree "Relative" = normally belly flying skills, which a lot of people don't identify with (freefliers) - although we are starting to see RW work in freeflying...

I don't know, I am stumped... ;-)

But, I tend to agree, my heart is not in the new name for a sport rig. You don't see snowboards, shoes, clothing brands, sunglasses - without catchy names these days... You said yourself on Skydive Radio that you like selling rigs to sport jumpers because they choose your rig, where as military jumpers are issued your rigs... I think, despite what we would hope, that there is a lot of "fashion" in rigs these days, and brand identity sells rigs just as much as the safety aspects behind the rig.

You GOTTA kep the "Workshop" part of the name! It sounds like there's a bunch of leading-edge but anti-corporate Yodas of skydiving toiling night and day to ensure that nothing better can be built. It sounds like constant work and rework... something that definitely influenced my purchase of a Vector 3.

The "Relative" part definitely sounds good and interesting, and was the first name I recognized in skydiving... because I had no idea what it meant at first.

I could see some updating to 'Relative', but gotta keep 'Workshop'... GOTTA!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

I like the new name, it sounds Corporate, more umpfh for that type of world. I'm sure it'll help with Military contracts and such.

Ding ding ding!

I think you've got the idea. When competing against the big boys for lucrative military contracts, you don't want a company logo with your name in it - it makes you sound like a small unprofessional garage operation. The new proposed name is more professional-sounding for the business world. So skydivers, naturally, will hate it. But if it keeps Bill in business making good products for us, so be it.