Zeppo

What's Your Minimum Exit Altitude?

IF the ground speed is high, I guess I would have jumped out of 1500. But then maybe have taken my PC out of its pocket and held it in my hand, if possible considering how the exit door is. A big tail door I would have held it in my hand, but a small Cessna-door, no.

If you have to go out at 1500 and you have an AAD, you'd likely want to go straight to silver to avoid 2 out. Even if you don't have an AAD, if you have a main that snivels for a while, coupled with sub-terminal speed, you might not have a good canopy over your head until you're only 400-500 feet AGL. Not a good scenario.

I will get out with my alti floating around 2000. Because the altimeters aren't perfect I have probably gotten out as low as 1800-1900 before. I am only willing to do that because I can exit and be stable as I am exiting. There is no point I am not stable so I can throw as soon as I am clear of the tail. I typically leave with my hand on the hackey (still stable) so that I don't have to bother with reaching for it.

I have done a lot of hop n pops though and have a canopy that doesn't tend to spin up or do crazy stuff like that. When I downsize next I suspect the altitude I am willing to get out will increase.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Even a snively canopy will take a lot less time on a clear and pull then it will from terminal. The first few seconds out the door you barely have any vertical speed so that helps. I've willingly exited sub-2000 and still had a full canopy above 1700 and that was with a delay of over a second. If you have a 800 foot snivel at terminal you are looking at probally a 300 foot opening on exit of a 182, it will be a faster opening if you have more airspeed to work with like a Otter or King Air.

A CYPRES will not arm until 1500 feet. To fire a CYPRES you need to exceed the speed threshold and altitude, not just the altitude.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

IF the ground speed is high, I guess I would have jumped out of 1500.

Air Speed... Ground speed doesn't matter a whole... you could have 80 knot winds while flying downwind at 70 knots and though the ground speed would be reasonalby high (@ 150 knots...) your isn't all that high (in fact its kind of low...) :D

personally I don't like to get out of a plane below 3000 ft... even though I know I can be stable enough from a cessna step to throw just as I'm clearing the tail... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Do you just follow the USPA recommendations, or do you just follow your instincts?

A few things, yes you should follow the USPA BSR’s. They are there for a reason and plenty of people paid a high price for the information that they were garnered from.

Your minimum container opening altitude is 3,000 for an A license holder. Thus it is not wise for you to exit at 2,900 feet as you can’t possible open your container by 3,000. ;)

That said you do need to get comfortable doing low level exits. When I’m jumping I do at least one hop n pop a week. I check my altitude before I exit and pitch as soon as I pass the tail of the plane. As soon as I’m open I check my altitude. It takes 800 feet for my canopy to open at terminal but less than 400 from exit to open canopy on a hop n pop, from a high airspeed plane such as an Otter.

I’ve pitched at 2,000 at terminal any number of times out of necessity (I like 3,000 on a normal jump). So knowing that I can get a good canopy in 400 feet on a hop n pop I am comfortable doing a non emergency exit from 2,000, in an emergency as low as 1,000 going directly to silver.

Practice doing hop n pops they give you confidence and information. Plus you get time to work on your canopy skills in clear air!

Blues,
Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I'm comfortable with 2500 under a main because I've done it before.

I would be comfortable with anything that would allow a reserve to open before I hit the ground vs a crash landing.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Several answered that at low altitude exits they would go straight to reserves; am I missing something, I don't quite see the point. I have half a dozen reserve rides, not nearly enough to be as comfortable with it as my main canopy. For myself, when time counts, I would rather have an opening sequence that I'm very comfortable with. I also think exits above 1000 feet leave room (for those with quick reflex) to still get a reserve out...

(and I'm not condoning low exits, but if you spend a lot of time in aircraft you should know your limitations and plan for all possibilities)

Even a snively canopy will take a lot less time on a clear and pull then it will from terminal. The first few seconds out the door you barely have any vertical speed so that helps. I've willingly exited sub-2000 and still had a full canopy above 1700 and that was with a delay of over a second. If you have a 800 foot snivel at terminal you are looking at probally a 300 foot opening on exit of a 182, it will be a faster opening if you have more airspeed to work with like a Otter or King Air.

A CYPRES will not arm until 1500 feet. To fire a CYPRES you need to exceed the speed threshold and altitude, not just the altitude.

Good to know. I would have thought that a snively canopy would take longer, not less time, because you're moving more slowly, not faster. I know the Cypres arms at 1500, but if you're exiting at 1500, wouldn't that mean it's armed give or take a few feet?
I've had a couple dumps below 1500 and found myself concerned that my Cypress would fire, because my second canopy (PD 9cell) would snivel forever, so I was ready to chop in the event of a 2-out scenario.

Depends..... Is the plane on fire/crashing?

B.T.W - You did the right thing b y staying in the a/c. because it was right for you. - Good Job.

P.S my lowest (twice) was 60metres Static-line modified T10.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Good to know. I would have thought that a snively canopy would take longer, not less time, because you're moving more slowly, not faster.

I believe most canopies are likely to require less altitude to open when you are doing a subterminal exit out of a moving aircraft. Though it might actually open slower (take more time) then at terminal deployment.

The lowest I've gone is 1500' which is the minimumexit altitude by the regulations here (if airspeed is above 60 knots). I will probably do it again sometime, but I'll only do it if I'm current and have a canopy I know well.

For this one I had my cypres switched off. The reason was that we were flying and dropping another guy off for a demo in a nearby town. I'm not sure if if hoovering above and below 1500' for some time can confuse the cypres. This is the first time I have turned my cypres off, though the odds of a misfire is probably lower than a save in case of a nopull.
I jump with a RSL equipped rig, so I have a little aid in case of a low cutaway ;)

I see myself as barely experienced enough to do a 1500' jump. It seems like the more jumps I get, the more inexperinced I feel. That's probably a good thing :)
You have set yourself some limits, and is sticking by them. You also proven that you take independant decitions and follow your plan even if others decide to jump. These are trades that will help you have a long skydiving life B|

Plan the dive. Dive the plan.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Depends on what kind of main I'm jumping. I jump a small (107) eliptical (Katana), 2500 on that one, but on my CRW rig PD218 with a mesh slider, 1800. On really crappy days we used to do highspeed hop&pops from around 2000. Beaver highspeed is around 120 kts max. Get out and track up, hang with the plane for a couple of seconds. Cool visual:)

Could you describe tracking "up"?

he's refering to tracking "up" the line of flight... and since the relative wind is more or less horizontal the hope is to reduced the amount of altitude lost.

I figured he was talking about up line of flight. So you exit in a track facing toward the front of the aircraft and you pop up due to the relative wind... pretty cool. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Why don't you get the training you feel that you need in order to make a jump from lower altitudes, since this does occur occasionally.

Did you pay for those rides to altitude when everyone else made a jump ?

Kevin

I did my 3,500ft hop n' pop this weekend and that was the lowest I've ever jumped from. I would be comfortable jumping from 3000' but, probably not lower than that unless it is an emergency. I was more nerves about how to exit the cessna than I was about the lower altitude. I had only jumped large airplanes previously and the wheel right outside the door made me a little nervous. I thought I was going to hit it:S. Luckily one of the Hollister jumpers who is or used to be a S/L instructor was nice enough to to show me how to exit. Thanks Friday:)
Fly like a girl

Why don't you get the training you feel that you need in order to make a jump from lower altitudes, since this does occur occasionally.

Did you pay for those rides to altitude when everyone else made a jump ?

Kevin

I was quite willing to, but the DZO said that he respects my decision and wouldn't charge me for the jump. (Plus I told him ahead of time, that if I didn't get 3,500 that I'd be landing with the plane.)

I'm going start paying attention to timing and altitude loss during deployment. I think that this alone will help me become more comfortable at lower altitudes. Once I know exactly what my canopy tends to do, then I'll be more willing to jump from 2,500 (maybe)

Of course, my license at this time states that I must deploy at 2,500, so I definitely won't be exiting any lower at this point.

I realized, both fter everyones reply, and after a little thought, that I can get alot more jumps in, if I'm more willing to jump at lower altitudes. So I'll train myself to get used to it.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

The lowest I have done was a hop n pop for aff graduation from 3500'. We were at northern DZ about 2 years ago and it was a horrible nasty rainy day, at the first clear they put a small load up, we got 2500 on the first load, I rode the plane down, figure if it aint an emergency I aint getting out that low. They put up 3 loads that day and my SO jumped all 3 the last being 1700'. Too low for me.... I like to have plenty of room in case something goes wrong....

I would go at 1500 on my main, but any lower down (to about 800) on my reserve. This thread got me thinking about run-in speeds, I mean I wouldn't go from 1500 on my main from a balloon as I would need to accelerate towards the ground to get enough airspeed for a successful deployment. Then again I wouldn't want to go from 1500 at 150kts as I doubt I could remain stable (couchfreaks style!). I really don't know what min and max run-in speeds would be for me to exit that low but I'd take a pop at between 75 and 110 knots.

My lowest exits have been 1800 feet twice... First in Mullin's king air without a cut years ago, and just recently from a C-182 on a demo jump, without a cut too. Good thing my canopy didn't snivel either time!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban