Blahr

Winter protection

I've heard good things about Neuman Tackified gloves... anybody use them?
Has anybody tried the winter edition of them? I would think they would keep your hands warmer, but do you still have enough feel in them to grab handles, etc?

guy i jump with swears by them

These are great:
http://www.rainbowsuits.com/en/jumpsuits/airtherm-suit.shtml
A lot of jumpers have them at my DZ. They last for ever (one guy that jumpes a lot has one that's 10 yrs old, just has a slightly damaged collar, others do CReW in them almost all year round, no damage so far!)

I love mine, best purchase I made, skydiving-wise!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

OK, I've read about naked jumps here on dropzone but what about naked winter jumps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know a guy who jumps in Wisconsin that has done at least one naked jump a month for probably about 2 years now. So, yeah, it happens.

Gee, Don't we know a chick who's done the same??

Seems they take advantage of the milder winter days, but they are heartier people than I!!

Easy Does It

As for you hands, the trick is to keep warm without restricting too much feel and movement. A trick you can do is to wear latex gloves under your normal skydiving gloves...that'll cut the wind and keep your hands warm.

Bringing this thread back from the dead . . .

Anyone else tried the latex gloves under normal gloves ?? It sounds right because latex doesn't breathe, but where I jump, you need to be certain that the gloves will work. Ive tried the rubber dipped work gloves and they are fine until you get well under 10F and then the rubber freezes in freefall and works as a refrigerator for the hands. I wonder if its cold enough, will the latex have a similar effect, even though its under another glove? Any comments ??
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Seems they take advantage of the milder winter days, but they are heartier people than I!!

I assumed that you would end up with frost bite by the time you got down. I guess the exposure time isn't long enough.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

As for you hands, the trick is to keep warm without restricting too much feel and movement. A trick you can do is to wear latex gloves under your normal skydiving gloves...that'll cut the wind and keep your hands warm.

Bringing this thread back from the dead . . .

Anyone else tried the latex gloves under normal gloves ?? It sounds right because latex doesn't breathe, but where I jump, you need to be certain that the gloves will work. Ive tried the rubber dipped work gloves and they are fine until you get well under 10F and then the rubber freezes in freefall and works as a refrigerator for the hands. I wonder if its cold enough, will the latex have a similar effect, even though its under another glove? Any comments ??

When it's REALLY cold, I use neoprene gloves from the hunting/fishing department of Wal-Mart/SportMart/K-Mart. The are very warm but make sure you can feel your hackey and use your toggles before using them on a skydive.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The are very warm but make sure you can feel your hackey and use your toggles before using them on a skydive.

Or throw those things off and let them plummet before grabbing your toggles. Ha.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Or throw those things off and let them plummet before grabbing your toggles. Ha.

Hmmm...I think you would need the gloves for the toggle work the most? Or was the "Ha" at the end sort of your way of indicating sarcasm? Cause around here its [sarcasm][/sarcasm].;) In the worst case scenario, you'd rip the gloves off to handle a mal or something but anyone who has ever jumped in winter (and I mean real winter, not 30F-40F), knows that you can't work toggles without gloves!!!!

Anyhow, I always wondered about those neoprene gloves, I should give them a try, after all, Walmart lets you return anything:ph34r:.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

The time you spend fumbling with ill fitting gloves during a malfunction, might be your last before making a huge divot.

I had trouble getting a pair of goofy gloves into my toggles once. Never again, it was a real wakeup call! Thank god I didn't have to do E.P. wearing those stupid things!!! [:/]
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Pretty much everyone at my dz wears under armor when it gets cold out. That stuff is great. On the day that I got my lisence it was at most 40F on the ground. So you can imagine how cold it was at altitude, not to mention the obvious wind that you're going to feel. I didn't get the least bit cold. Grant it, on top of the underarmor i was wearing another pair of pants, a fleece shirt and a jumpsuit. But still, before I got the under armor I was freezing my tooshy :D off.