jerry81

Aircraft emergency exit - do you pay your ticket?

If I pay for full altitude because i want to have a freefall then thats what i have payed for

Not true at all. You paid for a lift ticket, a plane ride. There is no DZ in the world that sells tickets based on the type of jump each skydiver wants to make on that load (and no I am not talking about specialty jumps).

It is very clear that your original post was nothing more than a deception to start arguments and bash people by telling them that if there opinion is different than yours they are wrong. You asked for peoples opinions and they gave them and in return you bashed them.

Since that's Chodaboy you're quoting and not me, I'll assume the rest of the post is directed at him as well...

As for me, I started this thread because I had to bail out of the plane yesterday for the first time, and being the one who manifested the load as well, I honestly wasn't sure what to do.
After speaking to the dzo today, we charged everyone half a ticket for the ride and excitement and the newbie (who would essentially be paying for the whole load otherwise- the coach's slot plus fee and my slot and video) wasn't charged for the rental gear...

Shit, I'd pay an extra $20 for an emergency exit from 2 or 3k from an airplane that was on fire or something - sounds exciting as hell.

Some people will pay for anything. I have this sweet magical rock in my yard, and would be will to let it go for this one time low price of $1000, let me know:P

Dunno, will it get me to 3 grand?

If it is optional to leave... Charge for the hop-n-pop rate that would be normal for the altitude in which they left.

If it is mandatory to bail out... Free... Or a free ticket given for later.

If it is mandatory to land in the plane... Free... Or a free ticket given for later.

If it is a DZ instruction jump (Tandem/Coach/AFF) - redo for free.

There is a huge difference between a skydiver getting on a plane with known bad weather and "taking their chances" with clouds and wind - and a maintenance issue on the plane.

I am one that believes - going a little out of your way as a DZ to make the fun jumpers think you do something special every once and a while for them - is a good thing... Letting them jump again if the plane breaks is a good thing.

>There is a huge difference between a skydiver getting on a plane
>with known bad weather and "taking their chances" and a maintenance
>issue on the plane...

In my experience, most emergency exits are not caused by faulty maintenance, they are caused by skydiver-induced emergencies (main over the tail) or mechanical breakdowns unrelated to maintenance (failed oil pump, prop governor etc.)

In my experience, most emergency exits are not caused by faulty maintenance, they are caused by skydiver-induced emergencies (main over the tail) or mechanical breakdowns unrelated to maintenance (failed oil pump, prop governor etc.)

By maintenance I did not mean "neglected" maintenance... I meant anything that will cause the plane to not give the skydiver the altitude they paid for, specifically relating to the plane and not weather/sunset/etc.

If a skydiver gets caught on the tail of the plane, I am going to help them - and be thankful to be alive.

For an example - our company has truck mounted commercial floor cleaning equipment - that costs just as much as a typical used Cessna ($85,000+) - with thousands in repair costs to keep up... Granted a Cessna might cost more to operate per hour - but still... When the truck breaks down (throws a $2,500 impeller for an example) - we tell the customer, "we will come back and redo the service at no charge.

A lot of our breakdowns are not due to lack of maintenance, just unpredictable "old age" on a system of moving parts.

I cannot ever believe a customer of ours would pay for something they did not get the full service of - especially if it was not their fault in any way.

While DZs are not normal businesses - good customer service and getting what you paid for - should exist.:P

Read my post, it was the comparison of a hop and pop to a freefall skydive I was refering, not 500' differences. Are we even reading the same post?

so what's the delta that swings it over, in your opinion?

In my parts normal altitude sways between 14 and 16k (long live the King Air), and in LA we 'suffer' with just 12-13 typically, but you can get to terminal exiting at 5 and still pull at 3.5 if you wanted. Some of the people here would do 4 way from 5000.

----------
In the bailout by the OP, it seems reasonable to charge the student for the rental, but not for the coaching/video costs since that didn't happen for reasons outside his control. Slots are a tossup, though the student jumped alone...

So you are just going to run away from this discussion? If you cant beat them then "run forest run!"

Nope, not running away, just wanted to go skydive. Some of us do more then 100 jumps a year.

Ok, to clarify the "profit" of $5 a person per load in regards to a $60 lift ticket. The $5 "profit" is just money above the cost of operating the plane, typically. That doesn't include hanger rent, facilities, manifesters, snack shop operations, electric bill, water bill, taxes or anything else that it takes to run a business.

I'm not worked up about the money as much as your attitude of "fuck the DZ" and your previously stated attitude that if anyone has any other opinion, they're patently wrong.

If you want to believe me, you can, if you don't believe me go talk to your DZO. It'll educate you real quick. When I had first started jumping I thought it would be neat to have a DZ some day. Now that I have worked as a full time skydiver and have been apart of the business side, I want nothing to do with being a DZO. I want to show up, pay my money and jump as well as get to instruct.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Eh ghads what a can of worms.

Just be grateful that you are alive and not dead. I bet if you started to bitch in the manifest office about how you feel that you were jewed out of altitude due to an A/C emergency the DZ may give you your money back, they may also say don't come back. Either that or you might find it hard to find people to jump at at that particular DZ.

If the plane crashed and you woke up in the hospital months later would you bitch about being out 20 bucks?

You sign the waiver, you buy the ticket, you get on the plane, you take your chances. If you don't want to risk an A/C emergency and have to get out low then... DON'T SKYDIVE!
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Here's the real question. If you borrow a student rig, have a low speed malfunction and have to cut away - should you be charged for two freefall jumps? (in addition to the repack of course!)

Here's another scenario:

Today I made 15 jumps. $20/ jump, 12.5K agl is the posted service. For some Odd reason we got 15k agl all day long. I spent $300 and expected 187.5K of freefall but I received an extra 37.5k of freefall.

At the end of the day do you pay the DZO $60 for the extra service you received?
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I have been in one load where we had to do an emergency exit. It was close to full altitude too. I never gave much thought to the ticket price though. I was just happy everyone made it out ok and the pilot landed good on one engine. That was a sound i'll never forget though when the engine crapped out. Sounded like a bunch of silverware going through the garbage disposal.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

The DZ will have a policy on this in any case whatever the customers individual biases are. If an individual doesn't like the policy, then one can jump elsewhere.

Our DZ has us pay for the altitude we get. So if we get out low for any reason, the charge is adjusted automatically and the jumpers don't have to gripe or contribute or wonder about it. If you get out at 3K you pay for 3K.....IMO, it's fair because it's clearly known to the jumpers. You pay for what you get, not necessarily get what you originally paid for.

Everyone has an opinion. This might have made a nice poll.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So what is your point? The dropzone should make me pay for something I didnt get?

Ok, lets try this again.

Go back and actually reread my post. My point and explaination is still there. If you get it, good for you. If you don't, sorry I don't have time to hold your hand on this right now, I'm off to the DZ.

Aggiedave, you're arguing with a dude whose avatar is someone plugging their ears and going 'lalalalala!'. No matter how hard you try, it's not going to get through. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just be grateful that you are alive and not dead. I bet if you started to bitch in the manifest office about how you feel that you were jewed out of altitude due to an A/C emergency the DZ may give you your money back.

Not to get off topic here, but I would appreciate it if you refrained from using racist terms like that.

As for the topic, I think people are just overthinking this, really how often does it realisticly happen?

So what is your point? The dropzone should make me pay for something I didnt get?

Ok, lets try this again.

Go back and actually reread my post. My point and explaination is still there. If you get it, good for you. If you don't, sorry I don't have time to hold your hand on this right now, I'm off to the DZ.

Aggiedave, you're arguing with a dude whose avatar is someone plugging their ears and going 'lalalalala!'. No matter how hard you try, it's not going to get through. :P

He is all worked up about telling me how I should spend my money and how I should pay for services I dont receive. I also admire his stab at me for only making 100 jumps a year and having other things to do with my time. I feel pretty down on myself now for not doing more jumps:D Calm down man, its only a few bucks, holy crap batman!

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

Just be grateful that you are alive and not dead. I bet if you started to bitch in the manifest office about how you feel that you were jewed out of altitude due to an A/C emergency the DZ may give you your money back.

Not to get off topic here, but I would appreciate it if you refrained from using racist terms like that.

As for the topic, I think people are just overthinking this, really how often does it realisticly happen?

Good point, no need for that kind of behavour. Watch the language Kramer.

Q. Why do birds sing?

So, do you volunteer a few more bucks to the DZO when you get extra altitude?

Obviously, are you telling me you dont pay a bit extra when they give you more? If you dont throw in a few bucks for extra altitude you are screwing them out of their money for the fuel costs

Q. Why do birds sing?

Obviously, are you telling me you dont pay a bit extra when they give you more? If you dont throw in a few bucks for extra altitude you are jewing them out of their money for the fuel costs

Is this just a cry for attention? Please refrain from the continued use of this offensive slur.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Obviously, are you telling me you dont pay a bit extra when they give you more? If you dont throw in a few bucks for extra altitude you are jewing them out of their money for the fuel costs

Is this just a cry for attention? Please refrain from the continued use of this offensive slur.

Ok what the heck, first of if you read back a bit it was someone else who used the word, secondly that was not in my post. Are you trying to get attention?

Q. Why do birds sing?

If it was attention he certainly got it. With his post included, he got it twofold.

Besides...he's probably a jew himself.

I am, and would you like tp explain what the problem with that is VincentHitler?

Q. Why do birds sing?