b_dog

The time has come; which one should I do?

I now have saved up enough money that I can take a skydiving training course. I've just got a couple of tandem jumps under my belt, good enough to give me a taste of the sport and see if it's something I'd like to pursue, and the answer is a definite yes. I don't want to be a wuffo anymore.

But now that I have the capability, I'm torn about which program I should go for. The two main traning courses available today as everyone knows are AFF and SL. (I know there are 'hybrid' program too, though). So here are my options: I can go to my local DZ which is a 30 minute drive from my house and do AFF there, or I can drive 4 hours north to a DZ where an SL course is offered.

There seems to be pros and cons of doing both. AFF seems more intensive, definitely expensive, but more 'up-to-date' I guess you'd say. SL seems more gentle, is half the cost of AFF, an older method of training but still a means to an end nevertheless.

I really can't make up my mind which one I should do. Should I do AFF since I've got the money or save myself $600 and just do the SL course? What's your suggestion?

Do the program that is 30 minutes away. Getting the jumps in are the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

I don't care if it is SL or AFF, you are going to progress quicker if you can get more jumps in a shorter amount of time, and the shorter distance is going to help with that.

I also think it might be helpful to build initial relationships in the sport that aren't 4 hours away.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Do the program that is 30 minutes away. Getting the jumps in are the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

I agree with Doug. Go to your local DZ. The money you save on going SL, youre going to spend on gasoline for your car, motels, food etc.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I know there's a huge debate on the costs involved with AFF, but honestly, by the time you reach the same point you've spent close to the same anyways. I really doubt it's a $600 difference.

I would personally say that AFF is more current as far as training goes, and you're bound to get more out of it.

Someone also mentioned this, but 4 hours of travel to save $600.... Unless you plan on doing the whole SL course in one or 2 weekends, gas is gonna make up any difference there would normally be. The travel time will take away from jump/training time.

My vote is for AFF if you have the cash. AFF is quick and it gets you into freefall right away, period.

Later

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

...and you're bound to get more out of it.

Why is it that every one of these posts has some one under say 500 jumps, saying that you are going to get more out of AFF.

Then right after, you have some one with 2000 jumps posting, all hoping mad, the exact opposite.

Personally I don't think it will make a damn bit of difference once you get your license. A majority of your jumps are done after your student status, and that is where you really start to learn.
=P

Well...he is asking for opinions isn't he?

It is my opinion from what I've seen, and my DZ does both, that I think there is more that can be gained from AFF than SL. Whether it's right or wrong is YOUR opinion.

No need to mock people's opinions....they're opinions.

Chris

I wasn't mocking any ones opinions, if you find that mocking you need thicker skin, I was just pointing out a trend that I have seen in every single training post about AFF vs SL. :ph34r:

labrys, I wasn't directing my reply to you at all. :)
=P

Why is it that every one of these posts has some one under say 500 jumps, saying that you are going to get more out of AFF.

Then right after, you have some one with 2000 jumps posting, all hoping mad, the exact opposite.
---------------------------------------------------------
Doug...relax. so far i'm the only poster here with 2000+ jumps and I agreed with you.

bozo

I respect the fact that you think static line is better or you prefer to be unbiased. But, If no one had an opinion these threads would just not work. Imagine reading this same thread and all the replies, said, "they're both good...flip a coin." That really doesn't help the OP.

I started a few of these threads and did it to get opinions, not right or wrong answers. If 90 out of 100 people replied and said SL, I would probably lean to SL, or at least get more of a reason as to why 90% of the people thought that. It's to help me make a decision. The OP knows that no one is going to tell him that SL is the way to go and AFF should be banned etc...

Most of the posts on these forums are opinions, simple as that. I wasn't upset that you disagreed, I was just stating that it's an opinion, not an answer.

Chris

I don't care if it is SL or AFF, you are going to progress quicker if you can get more jumps in a shorter amount of time, and the shorter distance is going to help with that.

I also think it might be helpful to build initial relationships in the sport that aren't 4 hours away.

I agree, the secret is jumping. Its the best way to apply the skills you have been taught. An un-current skydiver is a dangerous skydiver. (especially at an early level)
SL is a great way to get a taste of this sport with out investing a ton of $, while being somewhat of a "less pressure" dive.

two tips:
keep jumping, often.
find some one that enjoys jumping with the newbie and take advantage of his knowledge, or get a coach.

then come to SkyFest 07;)

Hehe...like I said, I wanted opinions.

The SL course I was talking about that I'd drive 4 hours north for...they do their program in 2 days. So, during my days off, I'd go up there as soon as I got off work and then I'd leave the day I'd have to be back at work. So with hotels and gas, I don't think it would be anywhere near $600 as if I had to make it a couple of weeks' trip.

But I am taken by some of the pro-AFF comments. Yes, it's best to build initial relationships at the local DZ, since that's where I would go to finish my A license after I did SL anyway. And yes, immediate freefall experience with instructors at your side is a good way to start things off. I'll probably go for AFF at the local DZ then.

If I end up doing that, I just hope that I can do the best I can and hopefully not have to repeat any levels, though I know I'm bound to repeat at least 1 or 2.

You might not, don't pressure yourself. It is hard to relax, but the looser you are the easier it is going to come. :)
This is coming from a guy who couldn't relax and had to repeat a few. :D
=P

Whatever choice you make, you're joining a great sport. I had a friend start AFF, then switch to SL, and another who went SL all the way, while I went AFF all the way. Yes we all got to the same point and we're all still great jumpers (for our experience level), it' basically comes to preference, time, location etc... It's not a simple yes no answer.

Oh, and I hope you don't have to repeat a level, but if it makes you feel any better, I failed level 1. I was a bit slow dumping at 4500 ft so my instructor did it for me, I ended up grabbing the bridle just after he dumped for me.:$ Either way, here I am 55 jumps later.

Welcome to skydiving...

Chris

Hehe...like I said, I wanted opinions.

The SL course I was talking about that I'd drive 4 hours north for...they do their program in 2 days.
---------------------------------------------------------

So you have an "in" with the big man upstairs ?
You know the guy who controls the weather?
You might drive that 4 hour trip three or four times before you get to jump....just due to the weathers fickle ways.
I'm not talking aout stuff I dont know about.
Go to your local DZ and quit pinching pennies.

bozo

...and you're bound to get more out of it.

Actually, there's one youngster that is totally gungho for SL, and she's not afraid to say it.

But the numbers favor AFF for young jumpers, and SL for those that started 20 years back.

In the OP's case, he'll still get in quite a few student jumps at Taft whether or not he goes north for the 2 day of SL jumps.

That's what I wanted to point out.Weather.I remember sitting all day and the winds dying down at 5pm in time for my first and last jump of the day. Somedays we waited all day with no jumps. Me myself I went AFF and loved it , but to each there own.But, consider weather when you consider your 4 hour drive.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

By the time you get to fifty jumps it won't matter which route you took. If you can make 100-200 jumps in the year following your "A" license, nobody else will be able to tell either. That said, save the wear and tear on your car, gas money, and certain fatigue you'll endure going to and from the farther DZ.

Build a rapport with the folks at the closer DZ, as you'll most likely elect to jump there on the weekends. (Assuming you've checked them out, and all is on the up and up safety wise, etc...) Learn from the folks you'll be jumping with when you're an "up jumper".

If you can afford to get into the sport, a $600 savings won't really seem to matter much in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Ya know, a 4 hour drive would significantly reduce your chances of graduating.

A 30 minute drive would result in a well rested student, a happy student, a sharper student ready to tackle the demanding AFF progression. Make no mistake, we're all students in this sport. After 30 years and 3000 jumps I still have my instructors and seiner jumpers and I don't hesitate to consult them when I need to or want to.
I'm certainly not anti static line. Static line instruction has improved leaps and bounds over the years either directly or indirectly due to the AFF Instructor certification courses, the equipment is no exception. But the current AFF Instructor is the finest our sport has to offer schooled in team teaching and the latest techniques just as they better be.
Enjoy the student progression where ever you go, it's demanding, enjoyable and rewarding.
Good Luck,
T