Calvin19

ok... Have you ever induced a mal to cutaway, OR just cutaway a good parachute?

wondering how rare it is, i do it when i need a repack. why waste a perfectly good packjob and the ability to have a sub terminal freefall? not to mention the prectice of dealing with a mal?

I never did, but videod a friend who did. He was vearing an extra belly mounted reserve though.
You would experience subterminal freefall indeed.
But you would practice anything concerning the mal, as the cutaway is :
-planned
-from a good canopy (calm situation, unless you start spinning befor cutaway )

Can be a good experience, but more for fun than for learning.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Could one of the Mods...the one who delted my post....please explain why ?

I wasnt advocating midair transfers...just relating how I had done one in the far past.
I would like an answer.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Sometimes first jump students will boldly (or blindly) go where skydivers prefer not to tread!

Over the years at the DZ one hears of or sees students chopping perfectly good parachutes. (Although of course they didn't think it was good.)

End cells were closed; the chute colour wasn't what they showed in the course; the slider didn't go back up again; got scared because someone else had a mal the same day; heard ripping noises when trying to release a toggle; spiralled after releasing only one toggle; the list goes on...

I'm pretty sure it was removed on accident. Its really hard to remove a series of posts but leave one hanging under it that someone replied to.

Thanks Phree. I was just really curious because it was really one of my more innocent posts.

bozo

I'm pretty sure it was removed on accident. Its really hard to remove a series of posts but leave one hanging under it that someone replied to.

Thanks Phree. I was just really curious because it was really one of my more innocent posts.

Sorry Jim, my fault. It got culled along with a load of unrelated one-liners. Next time, make sure you don't tag your response to one of them ;)

For the record, this is what you said:

i did an intentional in the mid 80s when I didnt quite know any better . just two canopies.
the reserve was an X210R.....the landing wasnt much better than if I had bounced damn it hurt.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

OK,
have you ever cutaway a good canopy just for fun, and because you need a repack anyway?
or have you ever induced a mal so it looks like you needed to cut away?

I've never done an intentional cutaway but I recall that in the round reserve days, jumpers would sometimes do a canopy transfer. This is where the reserve is deployed before cutting away while flying a good main canopy. As the reserve inflates, the main stops flying and is then cut away.

X210? I bought an old Racer a year or two ago for $125 complete with everything made around 1984... before I was born. Came with container, main (X210) and a 22' flat round reserve. Put about 35 or 40 jumps on the container/reserve with my BASE canopy inside. I had no idea how many jumps the main had, but there's no way I would have jumped it. I did jump the round and it was a fairly soft landing even without "flaring" on the rear risers. It definitely landed softer than a Paracommander I jumped.

edit:
And yeah I have chopped a good main, but it was a BASE jump with me wearing 2 rigs. It was surprisingly comfortable.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

X210? I bought an old Racer a year or two ago for $125 complete with everything made around 1984... before I was born. Came with container, main (X210) and a 22' flat round reserve. comfortable.

Man...you got a great deal. The X210 was a cutting edge hi-po canopy back when it was built.
If I remember they also built one called the Simoom.
Security went one better and built the X210R reserve.
It sure was a lot smaller and light then the Cirrus 5 cell I replaced it with.

bozo

"A 26' navy conical without a diaper streamered for about 900 feet, then finally inflated at about 400 feet. No clues as to why and no damage to the canopy."

Did the Navy conical have the vent cap in place? Removing it, "because it is supposed to blow off on opening" was a common but misguided practice back then. I'm betting not if it streamered for that long.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Nope, the vent cap was intact. It was just one of those things I was never able to figure out. To be more precise, it was an opening sequence that took about 900 feet. I had one of the original SSTs with shot-and-a-half Capewells, and that reserve had been packed into the rig by Bruce Bickford. I cutaway from a mostly open, but turning, StratoStar with rings and ropes reefing system. I seem to remember that there were line twists and the reefing rope was fouled and I couldn't steer it. I cutaway and fired the reserve, saw the pilot chute leave, but no opening followed, looked back to see about two-thirds of the canopy was out, then the skirt and the first few line stows left, hesitated again, then went on to line stretch and streamered for awhile longer, then opened. I cut away at about 1600 feet and was open around 400-500 feet.
Unlikely it was because of a tight container. A Navy Conical packed smaller than the 24' flat I originally had in that rig. I'd used the 24' out of that rig once with no problems. Gremlins and LurkMeKnots.
Zing Lurks

X210? I bought an old Racer a year or two ago for $125 complete with everything made around 1984... before I was born. Came with container, main (X210) and a 22' flat round reserve. comfortable.

Man...you got a great deal. The X210 was a cutting edge hi-po canopy back when it was built.
If I remember they also built one called the Simoom.
Security went one better and built the X210R reserve.
It sure was a lot smaller and light then the Cirrus 5 cell I replaced it with.

The comfortable reference wasn't directed at the rig :D The harness was definitely sized for someone much thicker than me, which I found surprising since the reserve was a 22' flat. Granted I am 6' and 135lbs, but going heavy on that round wouldn't be a ton of fun!

I meant that wearing 2 rigs (i.e. 2 harnesses) was actually very comfortable even when under canopy in each harnesses.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Did a canopy transfer in the early 80s. Had a 26 navy conical reserve and a Lite Cloud main. Prolly one of the scareist things I've ever done in my life. I was the only one in the plane and the only witness was Forrest McBride, the pilot. I didn't have enough jumps to know better at the time...

Jon

OK, I’ll take credit for being a super idiot back in my youth.

At the time I probably had a couple of thousand jumps and was using a rigger who foolishly offered a free repack for anybody who could catch his own freebag. It was an insane offer, but I was a few days out of date and dumb enough to try to collect.

So, up we went to do some RW. At the bottom of the jump I deployed and then cutaway a good parachute and fired the reserve, and then started going after my freebag. The rigger quickly figured out was was happening and didn’t really want to give away a pack job, so he started chasing the freebag too. It was a game of chicken-fighter-pilot at 1,000 feet until the rigger realized I had more guts than brains, so he backed off. At about that point I snagged the bag on my lines and then had to drag the reserve in with 3/4 breaks on the other side. It wasn’t a pretty landing, but I walked away from it and collected on the free repack.

I learned my lesson (well, not for a while, and not until after I had collected a bunch more insane stories), but I eventually grew up, settled down, and became a somewhat respected S&TA.

Kids, don’t try this at your home DZ. We really did these kinds of stunts back in the day, but of course that’s one of the reasons the fatality rate was so damned high. These days safety matters, and stupid human tricks are appropriately frowned upon.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

My very first cut away was on a paracommander. My retainer line was way too short and I ended up with a pilot chute caught in some modification holes. This caused a turn, but rather than mess with it, I decided to cut it away.

I always wondered if I could have landed it okay, but I was trained to..."If in doubt, whip it out". So that's what I did. No one in our club was trained to cover their capewells when cutting away. So I guess I was lucky not to snag anything on my only two cut aways. I might add that my body position was really crappy on both also....Steve1

No one in our club was trained to cover their capewells when cutting away.

My first cutaway was with capewells. Bad body position and not covering the exposed covers after the release led to having the apex of my 24' reserve caught on one of them. I got it loose in 3-4 seconds, and the reserve deployed just fine, but that was a long few seconds. A lot of folks went in because of those releases. People don't realize what a fabulous invention the 3-ring was unless they had to deal with its Sport Death predecessors.

Back to the thread topic, I'd have sure felt stupid if I had cut away from a good canopy that day. ;)

Kevin