llkenziell

How many jumps for skydiving respect?

Just a thought, but how many logged jumps does it take for an experianced skydiver to considered another jumper good enough to jump with.

Obviously it's not the number of jumps, but how well the person does in the air, but purely looking at numbers....?

=)

"Living like fallen angels who lost their halos" - Unknown Prophets

-Love Life-

Just a thought, but how many logged jumps does it take for an experianced skydiver to considered another jumper good enough to jump with.

Obviously it's not the number of jumps, but how well the person does in the air, but purely looking at numbers....?

=)

That's a question that I've been thinking about too. I know one person who said

"I've only got about 250 jumps. I'm just a fun jumper, your not really an experienced skydiver until you've hit around a thousand jumps."

Ok, I may have paraphrased, as I can't exactly remember how he said it, but his thoughts were pretty clear.

In my Belief, "by the numbers" 100 would be the magic number to reach. by 100 jumps, you'll likley have your "B" and be trained to jump with others safely.

What do some of those "experienced" jumpers think?
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

22 jumps when i started being asked to jump with higher jump number ppl. ..It really varies from person to person, and experienced jumper to experienced jumper. . I have done a couple jumps in the past where i felt safer jumping with the guy that only had 30 jumps , to the guy who had 300.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Sometimes you never get the respect you deserve. The good jumpers keep getting better than you no matter how good you get. So they jump with each other all the time... meanwhile you platau with your skills and end up teaching old guys how to sit fly.:D

In my experience, it works something like this:
At 100 jumps, people get the idea that you're going to stick around and that you're probably safe.
At 500 jumps. people get the idea that you might know a thing or two.
At 1000 jumps, you've proven yourself.

These numbers also happen to coincide with pies.:)
Just my $.02

P.S.., I wish I knew at 100 jumps what I know at 1000.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I would jump with ya even at 1 jump - but I am an AFFI, so I guess that is the point of the rating...

I would jump with ya anytime in a two way - with any number of jumps.

I would want to see ya perform in the two way before inviting you into anything larger - as a two way can still be fun if it goes other than plan. A three way all of a sudden needs the plan to go well otherwise two people are waiting around for the third.

I don't care about jump numbers at all. Tunnel time, natural ability, and previous coaching all matter.

Each discipline requires a "reset"... I have been invited onto 48 ways in key slots for RW work. But I don't get invited on many freefly jumps because I just started learning and while I can hold a sit, my range of motion is limited... Wingsuiting I am somewhere between my RW skills and freefly skills...

It is not about "Respect" - but designing a dive that will be fun and rewarding for everyone on the jump.

I always give everyone respect...and even some free tips and coaching :-P

I happen to love jumping with guys who have 50 jumps...its a lot of fun for me...and certainly a lot of fun for them

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Whether it be 1 or 1000, all jumpers should get respect. I enjoy going up with a noobie because it makes me work hard as a coach to make sure I give them the best environment to learn and improve. I also appreciate jumping with the 1000+ jumper giving me the opportunity to improve my skills. I just improve different skills depending who I am jumping with. I try to always thank my jump partner for giving me the opportunity to jump with them.

I also tell low number jumpers to not say "I only have x# jumps". No matter what that number is, it is a hell of a lot more than the vast majority of the people on the planet. When you say that number, say it with pride, just don't be cocky.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I remember people saying you're a skydiver?!?And saying "I'm trying to be"not feeling worthy of saying I'm a skydiver"And a wuffo saying "WOW you have 12 jumps!"When I'm sitting with a group of guys with thousands.They all laughed.Now at 33 jumps I consider myself a skydiver, just very very beginner, who considers peoples number of jumps when seeking advice.But all the jumpers at my DZ have my respect as fellow skydivers.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

It depends what you're trying to do. Skydives need to be safe, not violate any BSRs, and be fun for everyone on the jump.

I'll do a simple (dive out, round, 360, round, repeat until 5000 feet) flat 2-way with pretty much anyone who hasn't earned a reputation for being too unsafe, has graduated from a student program (at least 7 jumps with AFF), and is dressed for success (no point in trying to jump with a 250 pound bowling ball wearing shorts and a T-shirt who may be moving arround too much for me to stay close in a sit or 100 pound woman in a baggy student suit I can't keep up with).

Conversely I don't like doing freefly jumps larger than 2-ways with most people who haven't managed 500-1000 jumps because they're not likely to be successful and even safety gets marginal when you can't guarantee that you'll be able to even see everyone on the jump.

I wish I knew at 1000 what I know at 2000. I'm sure that trend will continue too.

I wish I had enough jumps to know what I should have known way back when ;)

To the OP.. to echo what some of the other posters have said, it depends on who you find. I'm lucky to have found a number of people happy to jump with a low number jumper... just to give back to the sport. (One of them actually said to me, on one of my first fun FS jumps when I offered to pay her slot: "Pay it back by jumping with a newbie one day when you have a few hundred jumps")

In my personal experience, I've found jumpers "respect" you when they see that you have respect for the sport and for being safe.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

In my experience, it works something like this:
At 100 jumps, people get the idea that you're going to stick around and that you're probably safe.
At 500 jumps. people get the idea that you might know a thing or two.
At 1000 jumps, you've proven yourself.

These numbers also happen to coincide with pies.:)
Just my $.02

Yea I can see how that would be about right, but there are people I've met with over 100 jumps that I wouldn't jump with.

P.S. I like your signature thing "Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off. " That def. got a laugh from me

-Love Life-

I remember people saying you're a skydiver?!?And saying "I'm trying to be"not feeling worthy of saying I'm a skydiver"And a wuffo saying "WOW you have 12 jumps!"When I'm sitting with a group of guys with thousands.They all laughed.Now at 33 jumps I consider myself a skydiver, just very very beginner, who considers peoples number of jumps when seeking advice.But all the jumpers at my DZ have my respect as fellow skydivers.

I know EXACTLY what you mean - anyone who doesn't jump is amazed that I've even jumped once, but then you get with other skydivers who have thousands and you're sitting there being like yea... I've got 20. lol

-Love Life-

=)

I'm new to this sport like a lot of people here, but I think it's pretty obvious that the respect comes moreso from your attention to safety and maturity as a skydiver than anything else. I would respect a jumper that doesn't do something stupid and has 50 jumps more than a jumper than has 10,000 and endangers others or himself repeatedly.

And people progress at different speeds than others. You can't judge someone on their jumps really except in a very basic way.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I'll jump with anyone from coach status on. That being said, if you have 30 jumps, a brand spanking new A and come up to me asking to exiting in a HD flower and work on some sit flying, well, first I am gonna laugh, then I am gonna suggest somehting a little more appropriate and maybe with a more appropriate jumper to reach those goals.

Wow, I just made a sensible, non-sarcastic reply. Note the date and time.

Seriously though, don't be an idiot and I will jump with you. Try to kill me on a jump and it may be a while before I jump with you again.

The great thing about skydiving is that no matter who you are, there are folks with more experience and folks with less. You can always look both ways on the spectrum. If you have one tandem jump, you are looked up to by the person who just walked up, and can tell them some helpful stuff. If you have 10,000 jumps, there's always sombody with 20,000, who you probably look up to.

It's not really about jump numbers, however, it's what you have mastered in those jumps. With so many disciplines, it's more complicated. Someone with a ton of jumps in one discipline may have a respected mentor in another discipline with half the jump numbers.

I think the people deserving of the most respect are the ones, regardless of jump #s, who have a good sense of what they are capable of and what they're not, and who consciously push themselves to always get better in knowledge and skill.

Kevin K.