llkenziell

How many jumps for skydiving respect?

It amazes me how many people I've talked to with 2700, 6000, or 8000 jumps that have never had a malfunction resulting in emergency procedures. That is luck and tells me that these people aren't idiots and that I should listen to what they are saying. I'm glad I have these people instructing me at my DZ. :D I need to get them to pray over/bless my rig when I jump my own rig in the future.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

"I've only got about 250 jumps. I'm just a fun jumper, your not really an experienced skydiver until you've hit around a thousand jumps."

Hmmm, I was in two world records at around 350-400 jumps (first 16 way diamond, first 20 way Papillion)... It would seem that today with AFF and tunnels and such, that competence would come sooner rather than later.

I certainly agree with you that by 100 jumps you "SHOULD" be safe with others.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

It would seem that today with AFF and tunnels and such, that competence would come sooner rather than later.

My AFF instructor mentioned something once when we were in the tunnel. It impressed him how well we stayed relative with our numbers of jumps, in comparison to when he started jumping.

I think we may be competent quicker, but the records keep getting larger and more awesome, so do the people setting them.

Does a jumper have more or less in air ability at 30 jumps than his counterpart in the 70's, I don't know. But we are a little further behind the curve when the next record jump is going to be some crazy 400 way.

I don't think it matters. I try to earn respect as I go, if you want to jump with me awesome, if not there are certainly no hard feelings. I am just having a good time, the rest will fall into place.

:ph34r::D:D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'd jump with a new, 1 month off student status, 50 jump wonder before jumping with someone who has ~1,000 jumps spread over 20 years any day of the week.

WTF is wrong with jumping with someone who makes 50 jumps a year for twenty years?

That is one jump every weekend for twenty fucking years!

Are you afraid you might learn something?

Obviously it's not the number of jumps, but how well the person does in the air, but purely looking at numbers....?

If they want to learn, and they're trying hard, I'll happily jump with someone right off student status. It's only fair, lots of people did this for me, after all.

If they suck and have no plan to get better, they can have 10,000 jumps and I still won't jump with them (yes, I know people in this category!).
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I'd jump with a new, 1 month off student status, 50 jump wonder before jumping with someone who has ~1,000 jumps spread over 20 years any day of the week.

WTF is wrong with jumping with someone who makes 50 jumps a year for twenty years?

That is one jump every weekend for twenty fucking years!

Are you afraid you might learn something?

I learn plenty from people with a lot more actual skydiving experience over shorter periods of time. I don't learn anything from crusty old men who make fewer jumps per year than I make per month.

That's not true. There are plenty of un-crusty old men who are active, very current skydivers, and have been for 20+ years. Those guys have my respect, and those are the guys who I owe thanks for my ability to jump today.

ya know what Hexi.....i'm a crusty mufu and I still jump pretty regularly. So whats the point?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Just a thought, but how many logged jumps does it take for an experianced skydiver to considered another jumper good enough to jump with.

I'll jump with any jumper that will keep the planned dive at the level of their abilities. I would much rather do a 2 or 3 way with a 50 jump person than a 30 way with a 250 jump person (These are just numbers. I know flyers who could handle 30 ways and beyond even before 250 jumps.)

I jump to have fun, and getting injured or killed wrecks my fun every time. So catch me at the DZ and we'll plan a jump that everyone on the load (even if it's just the two of us) can handle and will enjoy.:)
I shit you not.

That's not true. There are plenty of un-crusty old men who are active, very current skydivers, and have been for 20+ years. Those guys have my respect, and those are the guys who I owe thanks for my ability to jump today.

OK, fair enough. I guess you get to decide who is "crusty" and who is not.

I made about 500 jumps in the last 3 years....Am I "crusty"?

I jump with a guy who has over 12,000 jumps and he is definetly "crusty"

But, I learn something every time I talk to him.

OK, fair enough. I guess you get to decide who is "crusty" and who is not.

I made about 500 jumps in the last 3 years....Am I "crusty"?

I jump with a guy who has over 12,000 jumps and he is definetly "crusty"

But, I learn something every time I talk to him.

You're only 44 - you can't be crusty. 500 jumps over 3 years is a lot., unless you're comparing it to "working" jumps, swoopers, etc.

Just a thought, but how many logged jumps does it take for an experianced skydiver to considered another jumper good enough to jump with.

Obviously it's not the number of jumps, but how well the person does in the air, but purely looking at numbers....?

=)

I guess the easy answer is to say...when you stop worrying about he skygods and start enjoying the sky.;)

Safety is the ABSOLUTE first point of jumping but you can not learn it all in one day. Keep learning, "be the sponge" ( not the birth control sponge) Learn from those who offer advice... and learn from those who don't ( by watching them)

the day you stop learning you may want to think about leaving the sport.
My photos

My Videos

ya know what Hexi.....i'm a crusty mufu and I still jump pretty regularly. So whats the point?

I agree with ya, Bozo. You are crusty:D:D.

As far as regular goes....I hear Prunes help with that.
See ya at the DZ. I wanna film you crusty ole bastards next time we are both free to plan something.

EDITED to add:

Hexi. If jump numbers are where your loyalties lie you have some education missing.

Back in the day, these old crusties jumped nothing but rounds, cessnas there were no wind tunnels (until 1982 ish IIRC)and there wasn't a whole lot of support for skydivers. (sponsors etc) Making 5 jumps in a day was almost unheard of.

I'm willign to bet that if you jumped a round parachute for your next 1000 jumps you'd have a different view. I'd bet if you sat and spoke with a few of these guys and left your ego aside and enjoyed the conversation you'd learn alot.

Remember this one thing. You are only as good as your last skydive.
My photos

My Videos

I had 26 jumps, and went to eloy for the holiday boogie. My first jump there was a solo, then i hooked up with a pretty decent freefly crew. me and another jumper who had 9 jumps did a 9 way hybrid 3 different times, and then did a 14way hybrid twice. the least experienced (said freind) was the base. i was the base for the 9ways, then became a stand flyer for the 14ways.

so, me and freind had 33 jumps between us, and we started doing freefly jumps with a bunch of BASE jumpers and freeflyers that had an average of 700 jumps. organiser had 2400.

so, my answer is 9 jumps for someone to jump with me. im picky.

I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer to this question. As a rule I try to show respect to everyone I encounter. Whether it be a student or a 10,000 jump wonder (I only know a couple of these types... ;))

and personally I always tell people "I only have x# of Jumps..."
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Although I have only been in the sport for about 6 months, I have racked up almost 90 jumps... while speazing in my freshmen semester at college.

I have found that being at a big DZ (bigger than the one I learned) helped me progress very quickly. I have been jumping with groups of amazing freeflyers with thousands of jumps for a few months now, but i find I love jumping with the fresh guys and girls. I find that I have a lot to offer them as somebody who was in there position not too long ago, but has gained a lot of experience.

I have also found a good excersise is when somebody asks what I want to do, I say, "Just jump, and let me try to stay with you." Whether it is an extremely experienced person or somebody fresh into their A, it's a new experience for me. The flying styles will obviously be much different, forcing me to maximize my flying skills each time. PLus, it's pretty fun to watch other people flaunt what they do (or don't) have, haha!
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

You mean that there is potential to earn respect?
WoW...can it be purchased instead?
:D:D

Although many seem to think so, it's not about numbers. It's about attitude...and the gender and size of your boobies.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I agree with ya, Bozo. You are crusty:D:D.

As far as regular goes....I hear Prunes help with that.
See ya at the DZ. I wanna film you crusty ole bastards next time we are both free to plan something.

Joe....I spoke with the other crusty old bastards and they said they would be more than happy to set up some CRW for you to film. We just need to get thru the holidays and such.
One of the drawbacks to being a crusty old bastard is usually a family and the associated obligations.
If I dont see ya before Merry Christmas bud !

bozo

i'm a crusty mufu and I still jump pretty regularly.

Yeah but ya got a soft creamy center....:ph34r:

-------------------------------------------------------

STFU thats a secret !!! !

bozo

I know a 70 year old who is very very crusty. He made 500 jumps last year, and got invited to Kaleidoscope,Top Gun, the TSR...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.