llkenziell

How many jumps for skydiving respect?

Hexi. If jump numbers are where your loyalties lie you have some education missing.

No, jump numbers aren't where my loyalties lie, skills are. I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who has any skills worth learning, regardless of the amount of time they've spent in the sport.

Check the election edition of parachutist from last month or so... see how many jumps the various ND and RD candidates did over the last year, especially BJ Worth. I dont have it in front of me, but I think I remember seeing that the 400-way organizer did 50 jumps or less in the last year. Anyone have the number in front of them?

Dave

Slight alteration to that...

"I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who STILL has any skills worth learning..."

I've met a few who had skills, then got real uncurrent, and lost them.

And I admit I met one person who had quit for 14 years, and was back up to speed and better than 95% of the jumpers around him within a couple dozen jumps... I couldn't believe it! Of course, he did win an open-class silver at nationals in 86...
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

No, jump numbers aren't where my loyalties lie, skills are. I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who has any skills worth learning, regardless of the amount of time they've spent in the sport.

Wow. That's quite a statement. I have to ask, how many people have you met who have done 50 jumps a year for 20 years? And is your statement based on jumping with all of them?

btw, do you only jump with people where you think you can learn from their skills?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Interesting subject

Crusty old jumpers:|Stick around long enough , don't hurt yourself you'll get to be a crusty old jumper also.

Back in the day the intructor who taught us the to jump had 75 jumps and knew evey . There was no internet, jump video or books to study but we were all learning together.

The gear was more a less one size fits all but militart surplus gear was built like a tank.We learned how to pack for our first jump std exit alt was 7500' Jumping was fun. Even in the late 60'sThe new static line class got the airplane first and the experienced jumpers had to wait just like now with the tandems.

Crusty old jumper, old fart etc don't bother me at all we've been ther done that and heard it all before. Some things never change whinning, bitching ego's have been around for ever.

How many jumps to earn respect :D:D That is very DZ dependent. We were at a well known Boogie walked up to the introduced ourselves ourselves had our logbook >1k jumps asked to get on the load.

"Sorry I never jump with someone that i haven't jumped with before" Mad, disapointed etc nopethats where having the crust helps. The dude made my A-hole list in record time.Still LMAO at his attitude.

250 jump wonders that can do 30 ways, theres a reason for that and natural talent has nothing to do with it. If you haven't figured it out by now ask your instructor.

Crusty old jumpers don't get upset when someone gets hurt nothing new.

We saw a LO cold cock a jumper for going low on a 8 way. No surprises for a crusty old jumper.

Jumping in high winds, some crusty old jumpers have seen a lot of peeps and gotten hurt themselves doing that shit. So there not that eager to get on the load. watching from the ground is much more entertaining & free and it takes our brittle old bones longer to heal.

Some thing in the sport have changed for the better some are worse and that trend will continue. Nothing new seen it before.

Can't get on a load because al the slots are taken but the jumpers aren't on the DZ. Yep crusty old jumpers seen that before to.

This crusty old jumper doesn't expect or need anyones respect. Don't really care We know why some people have the right stuff and others don't numbers don't mean squat its more about the attitude of the jumpers & DZM at the DZ.

Not happy with the respect you think you deserve and the lck of progress in your jumping abilities and are jumping every weekend. find another DZ that has better vibes.

Nothing to bitch or complain about your money is as good as everyone elses. Find another DZ where you can get your money's worth and develope you jumping skill like everyone else and your entitled to.

Can't find the right DZ and always end up up doing solo's. Don't waste your time or money find something else that will make you happy for the same amount of time and money your willing to devote to getting better.

Crusty old jumpers learned a long time ago it's nothing personel, people are going to do what they do. first time shame on them second time same on you.

crusty old jumpers no longer have any unrealstic expectations sio it's easier to go with the flow.

FWIW we're grounded until we can find a DZ that has the vibes that will fit our minimum requiremets. We don't expect a DZ to change to please us just a DZ already has what we know we deserve.

This is not open to debate this old fart, has been wanna be, should have been, don't really care about your opinions or if you agree with me or not.

Anothe big advantage of being a crusty old fart don't give a shit what people think about our opinion.

Opinions are like A-holes and I'm entitled to mine just like everyone else is.

R.I.P.

I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who has any skills worth learning, regardless of the amount of time they've spent in the sport.

Funny, I have met several.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who has any skills worth learning

In 1 1/2 years of jumping, just how many skydivers have you met?
And how much do you still need to learn?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've yet to meet someone who does 50 jumps a year who has any skills worth learning, regardless of the amount of time they've spent in the sport.

I guess you just haven't been around long enough, then.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Joe....I spoke with the other crusty old bastards and they said they would be more than happy to set up some CRW for you to film. We just need to get thru the holidays and such.
One of the drawbacks to being a crusty old bastard is usually a family and the associated obligations.
If I dont see ya before Merry Christmas bud !

Not a problem, Bozo. Have a good Christmas.
One draw backs of being in the military, I'm sure you remember, is that family is usually a thousand miles away. (Sometimes that's just not far enough):S

Good thing Melissa's family lives here.;)

I'll see you at bounces birthday boogie.
My photos

My Videos

I don't think it really matters. Personally I love jumping with people right off student status. It's a learning thing, everyone has been there, no one was born with 4000 skydives, and anyone who thinks they are "too good" to jump with you or anyone else is a cocky chump. Oh and another thing you'll learn is that no matter how many jumps you make, you'll never be happy with your skill level. You'll be doing things that right now you couldn't dream of and be thinking "God I freakin' SUCK!". :D All in all, just don't try anything too soon, and keep a positive attitude. Respect should already be there from the people you know (or they're jerks), and if you don't see it now, wait till you get in a jam and they're there. B|

Shit, if I ever make it out your way, dude we're gonna jump together. B|

Edited to add: Isn't Flying Tigers in Pennsylvania? :P Sounds familiar but I have no clue. I'm gonna pee my pants if I'm right. :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Not a problem, Bozo. Have a good Christmas.
One draw backs of being in the military, I'm sure you remember, is that family is usually a thousand miles away. (Sometimes that's just not far enough):S
--------------------------------------------------------
Yes Joe.....I remember what its like all too well, at the Holidays.
I know I havent done this but I want to thank you for being in our military.
Thanks man...to you and all our brothers and sisters.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Once again an anonomous poster of unknown experience and skills expounding upon who he respects. Really, Mr. Decimal, do you think anyone gives a shit who you respect ? Most of the people you speak of couldn't care less whether you exist or not. What makes you think they would be interested in teaching you anything. You think they desire your respect ? Hardly.

Kevin Keenan

Just a thought, but how many logged jumps does it take for an experianced skydiver to considered another jumper good enough to jump with.

"Respect" and "good enough to jump with" are not always synonymous. You get my respect when you earn it - and that's not necessarily by being able to do 20 in time or swoop the pond. It's an attitude thing.

You're good enough to jump with if, with your skills and mine, we're able to do the jump safely. If you're a newby freeflier, you're not good enough to jump with, because we're not good enough to get out of each other's way if we fuck up. When it comes to flatflying, if you're cleared to jump with others, give me a ticket and let's get on a load :)

You know what, everytime I jump with someone who just got their A I learn something, I learn something about motivation, about having a positive attitude, and most of all they usually teach me a thing or two about humility(anyone that knows me personally can tell you I could use a little more of it;)). I'm sorry that you're so good that the only people worthy enugh to jump with you are coaches, because I feel that I've gotten worlds better by jumping with the Air force cadets at Mile-Hi with only 40 jumps to their name in the last year, I've learned a lot about having a positive attitude and having patience, not to mention they are so thankful when you just go out and have a good time with them regardless of whether or not the jump goes as planned, I'll take someone in the real of beginners like myself over a "skygod" any day.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

You know I see so many DZ's with a coach program, where students pay a buttload of money to have a coach jump with them, and I also see so many people with a coach rating that have it and do not use it. What i don't see is people willing to mentor the new guys for no charge. I lucked out, I've never paid for a coach jump in my life. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know coach jumps existed until I had 100 jumps, I thought you finished AFF and that was it, I had people who were nice enough to say, hey lets go do a jump, then debrief me afterwards. I later found out these people were coaches and just wanted to help, I grew up at a very small DZ where it was a family. this needs to be the norm everywhere, look at the program that Divewerkz runs in Eloy, a mini, free 4 way camp. Why can't DZ's do something as simple as put a clip board by the manifest window with a column for mentors and a column for newbies, new guys put their name down and someone experienced walks up grabs em and takes em up. simple as that, these new guys are never going to be good enough to hang with the big dogs unless they are led in the right direction. right now I consider my self to sort of be in limbo, I'm not one of the newbies anymore, I can hang with any of the groups(RW at least), but I'm not good enoguh to be one of the coaches or big dogs at the DZ, but at the same time I won't let someone who just got a license stand there and get on a load by themself, I know a coach will tell me to fall in place and let the "student" come to you, well this can be demotivating if they can't get it, turn a few points with them(or turn the points for them), go to them, show them that a 10 point 2 way is easy as hell, the fact that they went up and got a few docks motivates the shit out of a new skydiver, and have a big smile on your face the whole time, and when they come up to you apologizing in the landing area for missing a grip say "fuck it we had fun and that's what matters." It'll pay off down the road. I'm just sick of people not getting their A license because they don't have the money to pay their way through the coach program and their DZ requires it. I personally witnessed a good buddy of mine(who is an AFF instructor) get an ass chewing from the guy running a coach program at the DZ because we went up with a guy just off AFF and turned a few points, then at the end of the dive he debriefed the kid and signed something on his license card. The kid did what the card said was required to get that signed off so why not sign it off, the guy running the program was pissed that he did it for free and said that they could only get their license if they went through his program at the DZ. This is the wrong answer my friends.

Sorry to get off the original topic, but that link just kind of got me goin on what it SHOULD be like IMO

;)
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

You beat me to it.I'm from a small DZ, and we are a family.I don't know if anyone charges money to jump with someone(I could be wrong)We all help each other out.I myself don't go on more than 2 ways with inexperienced jumpers only for safety reasons.My safety and theirs, as I'm still a beginner.
But for the most part we all jump with each other. Isn't that the case at most drop zones? If not I'm happy I'm at my DZ.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

Isn't that the case at most drop zones? If not I'm happy I'm at my DZ.

I wish it was but it's not.

I have even watched guys with coach ratings who made plenty of money in their regular jobs charging for coach jumps. I can understand asking for your slot to get paid for if you're a decent coach, and you make a good living outside the DZ, it's understandable if you don't want to spend your money on someone else. But to charge, unless this sport is your living, why? Or you need a few extra bucks to make your fun jump at the end of the day.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower