mattyblast

What is the scariest part of the skydive for you?

I'd have to vote for that moment in 1997 after I had chopped a high-speed malfunction and had just pulled the reserve handle. At this point there was nothing more I could do but wait for it to inflate. Meanwhile I checked out the view, noting where I'd land (in/near a neighbor's pool) if this one also failed to open.

As far as the main point of your question is concerned, the takeoff & climb have a way of keeping my attention. I'm much more at ease with a pilot who does not seem concerned with showing us all the neat things he can do with an airplane, i.e. a hard, sharp bank moments after takeoff with the treetops just inches away.

Cheers,
Jon S.

There's a moment at about 700 feet from the ground that the sound of the engines on our Otter changes pitch. Someone explained the reason for this to me once but I didn't really understand and so I didn't retain the info. :$

That's almost always the scariest part of the skydive for me. Even though I've grown to expect it, I still feel a brief shock of anxiety when it happens.

It got worse after I was a lucky passenger on a single engine plane, at a DZ I was visiting, that decided to spit out some vital engine components during a climb.... luckily that was at about 4000' and it sounded a little more dramatic than a change of pitch.
Owned by Remi #?

I am the most scared when I havent jumped in like 2 weeks and havent swooped in 2 weeks and then am driving to the dropzone...

but as soon as the turn starts I feel human again

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

> There's a moment at about 700 feet from the ground that the sound of
>the engines on our Otter changes pitch. Someone explained the reason
>for this to me once but I didn't really understand and so I didn't retain the
>info.

They're changing the prop RPM from takeoff to climb setting. Changes the pitch of the prop blades to optimize engine performance in the climb. (Note that "prop pitch" is not the same as the pitch that you hear!) There's good reason to worry at that point. In one NTSB analysis, they discovered that engine problems tend to manifest themselves when you mess with the engines - changing power or pitch settings. Thus most operations set takeoff power at the beginning of the takeoff roll and don't touch the engines again until some safe altitude (say, 1000 feet.)

Honestly, the only part that ever gets me nervous now is when I walk up to the door. Immediately after I'm out I'm fine. It's just that whole standing at the edge of a 14,500 feet fall that still has my brain saying "WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The plane ride is the scariest for me. I even have trouble looking out the window while we are climbing in altitude. A fear of heights and the reality of us lifting ever further above the ground is kind of freaky, and when I look out and see roads and cars and trees so tiny, it nearly gives me vertigo.

Yet, strangely, when they open the door and I walk up to it and get ready to jump, the fear usually dissipates at that point, and once I jump fear is replaced by awe.

Take off and climb to 1000 feet. It is the most dangerous part of the flight and the altitude range during which I can do little for myself if anything goes wrong.

Scary is not the word I would use, but it is the time I am the most vigilant.

Yep! I think this is THE moment that is common ground to all jumps regardless of their type (FF, Big ways, etc.)

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Gets me every time....

DOOR!!!

My stomach sinks. Since day one it has never gotten any better.In no way does it hinder me or prevent me from getting out, it's just a reaction.

I agree with everyone else about the first 1000 feet or so as well. The only other part where I get a bit of nervousness is in the pattern. Not because I'm worried about the landing, or other canopies, but I'm scared shitless of heights. There's a certain height that just doesn't work for me.

15k feet is no problem as I cannot make out detail. 1000 feet is fine, 100 feet is fine, but somewhere around 150-300 feet just freaks me out. I live on the 9th floor of an apartment building and will willingly hang over the balcony. I have a friend 8 stories above me and I can't bend over the balcony. I just get freaked out. Mind you, if I had my rig on it may be different.

I got the same feeling when I was doing my first tandem last october, I got freaked out at about 6-800 feet. Not sure what it is.

The only other skydiving moment that scared the hell out of me was my first reserve ride. I am happy to say that I was calm and executed my EP's correctly and landed without incident. My instructor broke his femur on landing too which made that my most memorable jump to date. I'm happy to say that he's walking without crutches and the DR cleared him to jump in December. Now, if we weren't in Canada and the DZ wasn't closed....

I told him that I'd like to do a jump with him again once we can get some winter jumps done.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I don't get too nervous until about 8,000 feet while in the plane. That last 2,000 feet (cessna dz) is when I get ancy and start thinking "come on now, guys, lets get this door open.

I don't really know what it is, but that's where I get noticeably more ancy. It used to be when the door opened, but towards the middle of the summer(in Alabama) I was looking forward to it. COOL AIR!

Now the only thing I dread about the door is that same cool air in December.

Currently, waiting for my canopy to inflate is what bothers me the most.

I recently changed canopies from one that routinely opened in 300-400 feet, to one that likes to snivel for 700-800 feet. So it is taking me some time to get used to that extra long opening. I'm always expecting to look up and see another bag-lock. :S

This is an interesting poll. Thanks for posting it.

Another thought I've had is that the source of our "fear" (concern) changes as we gain experience.

New jumpers might be most afraid of the door and exit, as the unique view of the earth below brings on the rush of frightening possibilities about what they are doing.

While more experienced jumpers have learned to take that in stride, but worry about other aspects, like canopy deployment and parachute collisions with others.

Experienced jumpers might also have come to accept the possibility of low altitude aircraft emergencies, and have resigned themselves to go on despite that ugly fact, thereby putting it behind them.

For me, canopy deployment is the absolute moment of truth.

During AFF I would get so SICK TO MY STOMACH I could barely drive myself to the dropzone! Then once I got to the dropzone and it's time to gear up, I'd start feeling like I was going to THROW UP! Then the walk to the plane my knees would SHAKE and I'd think I'm gonna PASS OUT. Then during the ride to altitude I couldn't even talk because I'm so sick to my stomach, my legs are shaking, I'm breaking out in a sweet and my HEART IS RACING! Then right before I get to the door, I think, there is NO WAY I'm jumping out of this plane. Then I get in the door and it all goes away! Then I'm freefalling, well, that's a whole other feeling! Then I pull and I look up at my beautiful canopy and all the scaries are gone!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore