mattyblast

What is the scariest part of the skydive for you?

When answering, assume we're talking about a skydive that turns out to be free of malfunction, incident, or injury. 'Cause if something goes wrong, then that part of the skydive will naturally be the scariest!

Different things have scared me more at different times in my newly-blossoming skydiving career...right now it's that 5 seconds of canopy inflation. Once it's open, it's all good again.
"DOOR!!!"

Take off and climb to 1000 feet. It is the most dangerous part of the flight and the altitude range during which I can do little for myself if anything goes wrong.

Scary is not the word I would use, but it is the time I am the most vigilant.

double ditto and roger that.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Take off and climb to 1000 feet. It is the most dangerous part of the flight and the altitude range during which I can do little for myself if anything goes wrong.

Dang. That's a good point. Come to think of it, I always breathe a little easier when the plane gets past about 1500 feet. I wish I could edit the poll choices.
"DOOR!!!"

So far my landings have been pretty hit and miss, and Im always striving to stand up every landing so the part that I get the most nervous about right now is the landing. I dont get nervous because I fear injury but I always like to nail things and get it absolutely right but sometimes I just tend to flare a few feet to high/low or not enough and havent been consistent with my landings. So right now I get the most anxious about landing. I dont really truly fear anything about skydiving but am the most anxious/nervous/aware about landing.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

I voted "Other" because I know quite a few people that have bought it on breakoff.

I have a LOT of control over some parts of a skydive, but breakoff isn't one of them. When you have a LOT of bodies -trying- to sort things out and the occasional nitwit that pulls high you realise that it's a time you actually have very little control over.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Depends on the dive!

If I don't know the pilot/maintenance people, takeoff is pretty scary. If I'm on a sorta zoo-y load, breakoff can be scary. On high altitude loads with oxygen I worry about the oxygen supply (it's usually not aviator's oxygen) and the risks of hypoxia and fire. On exit, I worry about snagging a handle on a loose hose. When jumping a new canopy, opening can be a higher stress time. At big boogies, landing is scary. At places with lots of jumpers and small landing areas, just standing in the landing area after I land gets me nervous.

For me, the scariest part of the skydive is from the moment that the door opens, to the moment that the group or person jumping before me has just exitted the plane. From then on I just count to 5 or 7 or 10 and jump. During those seconds i dont really feel 'scared' anymore, i just focus on the exit and that's it. My stresslevel seems to rise the higher I get, although I can feel really 'at ease' sometimes when I'm sitting in the seat next to the pilot looking at the beautiful clouds :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I have this irational fear and though of when the door is opend being pulled or the plane banks and fslling out. This last for the first 3-4 seconds when the door opens. The funny thing is it only when some one eilse is opening the door I have this.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

for me the door opening is the bit that gets my heart going, not sure why. might be from when i was doing static line/early freefall from a c206 and i was always next to the door so when it opened i always felt like i was going to fall out (as soon as i realised this was irrational as i was wearing a parachute it turned to fear of falling out and therefore having to retake the jump). for me when the door opens feels like the point of no return, before that its just a plane ride. without even thinking as soon as the door opens i check my hackey and then my handles, but as soon as the first group leaves the smile comes right back and i cant wait for my turn :D

Nothing is "scarey"

really... If it was scarey, then why do it ???

maybe a long time ago there was some nervousness, But since I was never in a plane til the day i jumped out of one,,, I have soo much fun looking out the window and grinning, that there is no time to be wasted, being afraid..:)
Really... If I have a rig on my back, and I packed it, and if I am sure my wits are about me,,, it's all fun and wonder....
Not to say I haven't had some jumps where I did get a shot of "concern" go through me,,,, but on a normal everyday jump..
" I ain't Skeered":P:)
jmy .......o[:-)

Other!
That being someone else in the sky with me at the same time that is an idiot[:/] One can try to not jump with them but sometimes.........
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This is a darn good one. Query. do your pilots (or do you ask) what is the lowest altitude he/she would ask you to get out of the plane in an emergency? You you have a alltitude you keep in mind which you use to decide "if I am asked to get out at this alltitude I would, and I would deploy my main/reserve first?

We have had these talks at the DZ and I am wondering what others think.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

when I started I was referred to as fearless by a fellow student.And I told him that's not true, I'm comfortable with it all until I have a canopy over my head.That used to be scary!You'd think on your first jump you'd be happy it was there. I still suck at my canopy but now the only thing I get nervous about is the ride to altitude.I used to relax at 5,000 then 4,3,2 and now at 500 ft I start to relax and by 1000 it's gone.I imagine as I progress my thoughts will change throughout my skydiving career.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas