JoeG

My first rig!!!

Well it looks like I am the proud owner of a new to me rig.

I searched, or more like browsed the classifieds here for a few months to find one that sounded good to me, had it sent to Mike Gruwell at Chuting Star to have him check it out/act as an escrow for the purchase.

My main goal in this purchase was to inexpensively and safely get the basics for my first post A license jumps.

The rig is a Vector 2 with a Safire 189 and a PD 193 Reserve. The rig needs a few small repairs such as replacing steering lines (worn cat eyes) repairing two small holes that are developing in the corners of the main tray and a single broken stitch on one MLW. The current (I guess previous now B| ) owner did not know the number of jumps on the canopy when he bought it and he put about 100 jumps on it. I was a bit nervous about it being umm well jumped, but, Mike (Chuting Star) said it has the original lineset on it and probably has around 300 jumps total. Again, B|. The reserve has one deployment and has been packed 14 times.
I drove down to Skydive the Farm today to check it out firsthand and make sure that the rig fit me adequately. The laterals are a hair short(er than a custom would be) but otherwise it fits me about as perfectly as a non custom rig would. I think it was made for a thinner and taller person than me, but not by much. The container is not freefly friendly, but heh, at this point, neither am I.

So I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have a decent container, an excellent main and reserve for only $900 plus less than $180 in repairs (including new brake lines) and I feel like a real skydiver now.

The bad news is the Safire 189..........................is solid pink.

Ah well, I can't have everything my way can I?

I forgot my camera today but I will post pics later.

Enjoy your new rig... who the hell cares what color it is, it's YOURS!! And you'll be easy to spot in the sky :P

My husband jumped a container that was hot pink and baby blue and the main was the same color scheme for a couple of years. He just got his new (also just new to him) rig a week ago. I just finished the reserve repack, so it's good to go now.

Remember the most important thing.... you now owe beer :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My brother is helping be piece together a rig. Im new to the sport as i start AFF next saturday(6th) but the colors are my last concern. Its YOUR'S...who cars what color it is...as long as it does what it is supposed to do B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I hear all of you on the pink color - I really couldn't care less - the way I figure it - I get to jump MY canopy on MY rig on every jump. No more waiting on student gear to be available or jumping different stuff all the time.

Plus I think I got a smoking good deal.

HaHa! Well you see...the DZ is a 3 hr drive for me and I remembered about an hour into the drive. No way I was going to add 3 hours to my trip to get it. Wish I had though. Ah well - it'll be fully in my possession soon hopefully. Can't wait to jump that big pink monstrosity.

:P

First the good news... with that solid pink canopy everyone will know where you are...

Now the bad news... with that solid pink canopy every time you screw up everyone will know it's you...

:D:D:D

Congrats on the new (to you) rig
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...