BlieSkues2006

file with sound of parachute opening

I have about 400 openings on video tape - but they have the wind noise of freefall - followed by silence (if the opening is good) or swear words.:P

If you are looking for the sound of a canopy opening, a BASE jumper's ground crew video is probably better - I know in a few minutes at www.skydivingmovies.com you will find something - or you will need a parabolic mike http://www.solorb.com/elect/misc/bige/ from the ground on a skydive - as any video from a helmet cam has so much wind noise...

I pulled one of my files of a katana opening... The wind noise just drops 1/2 the volume - as the katana's forward speed keeps the wind noise high even after opening... If I closed my eyes while the video was playing - the only reason I could tell where in the sequence the opening was at - was the noise of the slider flapping then being collapsed...

Thanks. I also figured I need some footage shot from the ground (without music or people cheering). Anything shot with a helm-mounted camera will be mostly wind noise.

I just hoped someone, somewhere, had already put some effort into isolating the sound from a video, and put it in a small separate file.

I tried to find some decent videos on skydivingmovies, but the base section consists mainly of movies by the jumpers..

I'll just continue my search until I get lucky, or mayby I will have to get me one of these parabolic microphones and do it myself..

I got one for you! Just like you suggested, I found a video of a BASE jump shot from the ground on skydivingmovies.com and pulled off the audio. This clip is from the opening in a short video called Wingsuit Flyby. The sound of the wingsuit flying overhead is also pretty interesting, but I just captured the sound of the parachute opening. Enjoy!

I always thought it sounded like thunder too. but thunder that doesn't quit finish. my own chute I never remember hear it opening, I watch it but I never hear it or anyones nearby, I watch their openings to to help clear space if I need to
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward