timbarrett

Version of psycho - does it make sense?

I wanted to ask what more knowledgeable people thought of this version of psycho packing/bagging that I was shown recently. Despite having done all the approved things..like inadvertently rolling around in the desert in Eloy...I was still struggling with 230 sq ft of new ZP and someone took mercy on me and showed me this version...

As has been discussed, psycho-packing is really just pro-packing but with a different way to fold up the wretched thing and getting it into the bag. If there is anywhere that psycho-packing is likely to go wrong it has also been suggested is when, especially with a larger chute, you lay it down "upside down" and/or when you fold the ears over and squeeze out the air. Then there is a risk you pull a line around the front. It is also harder to keep the slider all the way up against the stops as you are working from the other end (at least in the videos etc). That is why it has been suggested to me that the pro-pack and especially the practice of "cocooning" the pack job before reverse S-folding it into the bag allows more control....that of course still leaves you wrestling the stack into the bag which, if you are as incompetent as me, still leaves plenty of scope to screw the whole thing up..

So he showed me this version to get the best of both worlds..
Lay the chute down just as for a pro-pack and squeeze the air out lying down on it as usual. While doing this you also cocoon the pack-job as per those who recommend the reverse S-fold bagging approach. While you are still on the pack-job you can use one hand to keep the cocoon together while the other hand controls the cocoon right over the slider to hold that in place too. Now you flip the neatly wrapped package over as per the psycho-pack version but because it is cocooned it will not spill out/slide around as when you lay it down upside down in the normal psycho-pack approach. Now you can kneel alongside the pack-job and put one knee on the slider area to hold that in place while you roll the package up..with a bit of judicious shuffling of knees and hands then all the air can be squeezed out while keeping total control of the roll. Even someone as hopeless as I am can then easily get the thing into the bag under complete control.

Probably this is unnecessary complication if you are any good at packing anyway but for useless packers like me it was suggested that this would work..it seems to do very well for me but I thought I would ask if anyone could see any problems with this version...

happy packing..
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Have you thought of flat packing? I still flat pack and I put 300 jumps on my Sabre 210 0 Porosity. I got 100 jumps on a brand new O porosity Specre 190. The positive thing with flat packing is it lays down a lot better and you can get it in the bag easier. The negative thing is it takes up space while you’re doing it.

I've never liked the idea of "Psycho" packing because to me it seems as if it has to put a certain amount of twist in the material when the canopy deploys.

It's probably not enough to do anything wierd on any single deployment, but I can't help thinking that overall it can't be good.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Tim,

I have probably 200+ jumps (hard to say as I pay for packing sometime) in which I have packed exactly as you have described. This is on a spectre 230 loaded at 1.2 : 1. I have good openings and have had no negative wear and tear that I can tell at all.

Hope that helps.