Stubruce

Wanted AFF COURSE in Venezuela Feb 2014

Hi Folks,

Sadly I am still chasing the dream to join you guys and learn to be a Skydiver which is continually hampered by erratic unscheduled career as a freelance Sound Mixer. After 6 Tandems, with basic understanding and some tunnel time and armed with the knowledge I need to learn this and get my AFF course in the bag and start to really learn what this is all about I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of a good drop zone in Venezuela. I am filming out there in February next year for Discovery for around 6 weeks and wanted to do a course in the mid shoot break if possible. I have been reading forums and read some pretty mixed reviews of the drop zones there, sent a few emails and even called but my impression is that the service is pretty hit and miss. I know I can be so wrong as I maybe just missing the right contact so thought I'd ask here. I am based in the UK and would like to complete my AFF course, consolidation jumps and as many other jumps as possible to build up my skill base. Obviously I want to do this safely and with good instructors that speak English who are qualified to certify me correctly. I do speak basic Spanish but understanding the instruction 100% is important for progression. I may find that I will have to do this back in Europe or in the US but as I am already there for work and will save me money on flights etc and I should have a 2 week window between shoots, I felt it was worth reach out to you guys with the knowledge and experience of drop zones around the world. Any advice would be warmly received.

Kind regards in advance

All the best

Stu

Hey Stu,

I am Venezuelan and I have been to some of the dropzones but not recently. I left the country in 2006.

Second hand info however can be gleamed by the reviews on this site.

Things in Venezuela happen at their own pace. Some days you won't jump at all just cause the dropzone owners haven't showed up. Most days it will be because there aren't enough people to send the planes up.

When you do skydive though, it will be glorious and pictoresque, this however is not what's important to do an AFF course.

Doing a full 8 jump AFF course in Venezuela in 2 weeks seems a bit optimistic unless you have enouigh people with you doing tandems or if it's a busy weekend, etc...

For what you're looking for I can recommend Ocaña in Spain, they have a British side of the school (Freefall University) where you will be instructed by british instructors so the language barrier will be nil. Weather is awesome all year round but I would recommend calling them beforehand and try and go when there are students there. In the winter it can be a bit quiet if there are no students so you might not get as many jumps as you need.

Empuriabrava near Barcelona is also great, you will find english speaking instructors there too. Weather is a bit more critical as it can get a bit windy but it's a very high volume dropzone so if you give yourself a realistic timeframe (2 weeks is plenty) then you'll be done and dusted.

As for the cost, I can hook you up with plane tickets from the UK because of my work so that cost factor could be reduced massively.

If you want to go to the US, I'd recommend Florida, there are 3 awesome dropzones in close proximity. Skydive City Zephyrhills, Deland and Skydive Sebastian.

They are all amazing and offer good volume when the weather's good, you'd get a course done in no time over there and get a lot of jumps in too!

Your based in the UK?

But for two weeks you can learn to jump and discover your dream? In another country, where yo indicate you don't fully communicate well???? I guess you could use sign language????

I'm sorry but when I checked your profile I couldn't find an email listed or home town or anything. And you want others to , at this point, to hold yor hand? And find places to jump for you but you don't like what your hearing?

I suggest more commitment from your end. There are a large number of places in South America to jump, many have Spanish web sites. But I have to tell ya the way you have written your "introduction" is a little confusing and nebulous.

Your schedule isn't any particular places problem. If yor sad then I suggest you do something about it. You make your choices. The UK and Europe have a multitude of places to learn....

C

Good luck. :)
You might start with the dz locator function on this site, perhaps if you can fit that into your hectic schedule????

Of course if you want a private instructor at your beckon call then PM me, I have a number of people that can travel, all with impressive history and experience. Considering your schedule however, all expenses will be paid in advance....

"Sir" Richard if you please,.....

Some people shouldn't jump.

this is the safety and training section folks....Keep that in mind...

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Another option is to fly to Florida during your break and train there. Several big dropzones that are busy all the time there. Zhills is close to tampa. Deland is reasonably close to Orlando. (These are not necessarily your only options, just ones off the top of my head).

If you get a full 14 days off, then with 2 days devoted to travel, you'd have 12 on the ground. Although it would be fast paced (and, IMO, probably not the optimum way to learn), certainly doable, even allowing for a few days of getting weathered out.

And for the 14th consecutive month, the winner of the
"Why does everyone call me Richard?" award is.........
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ChrisD

Some people shouldn't jump.

To the original poster: as you spend more time on dz.com, you will realise that some people's posts should be skipped in their entirety, without reading, let alone consideration. At best they will just waste your time, at worst you might accidentally take some of their crap on board.

You have just met one of them.

Good luck with your search for AFF instruction... when you find it, it will hoepfuly be life-changing B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

***Some people shouldn't jump.

To the original poster: as you spend more time on dz.com, you will realise that some people's posts should be skipped in their entirety, without reading, let alone consideration. At best they will just waste your time, at worst you might accidentally take some of their crap on board.

You have just met one of them.

Good luck with your search for AFF instruction... when you find it, it will hoepfuly be life-changing B|

It still stands,: Some people shouldn't jump.

I mentioned about the DZ locator function, I mentioned he can avail himself of private instruction.

I pointed out the absolute sheer stupidity of choosing to learn skydiving from someone who doesn't speak English,... this is a choice someone is making....

and yet you only contribute some meaningless drivel about me that in fact I could care less about.....and does absolutely NOTHING FOR THE OP.

In fact what you have written is exactly why you should follow your own advice.

C

:)

the thing that is most disturbing is that the OP isn't really asking anything,...they are telling you something and YOU completely missed that!!!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Ok, I'll ask again.
What instructional ratings do you currently hold?
How many instructional jumps or recurrence jumps have you done?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Stubruce

. Any advice would be warmly received.

ChrisD

the thing that is most disturbing is that the OP isn't really asking anything,...they are telling you something and YOU completely missed that!!!

Way to welcome people to the sport dude...:S[:/]
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

I own the drop zone in Aruba, www.skydivearuba.com. Although we don't teach AFF in Aruba we have successfully trained many from Aruba, Curaçao and Venezuela at our drop zone in Florida, www.skydivespaceland.com ( Florida).
We are located about 90 miles north of Miami. We have a program that can get you your license (25 jumps) in as little as one week. A young man form Aruba, just completed his course in 6 days and racked up 28 jumps. We have one of the fastest airplanes in the skydiving industry ( 900hp Super Caravan), huge landing areas, indoor packing, gear store, etc.
Check out our web site and if you have any further questions, send us an email.
We look forward to assisting you in making your dream come true!