dweeb

How do I get over being afraid to jump my own pack job?

Have you been packing it by yourself every time? I got over it by slowly working my way up to packing it unassisted... the first few times I'd have people check me at multiple points, gradually working my way up till I was packing entirely on my own
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ummm... Well, you pack, you buy a lift ticket, and you jump!;)

I remember, I taught someone how to pack with my rig. He did a pretty good job packing my rig. I threw the rig on and ran to the plane. He was shocked I was going to jump the rig. He came out to the landing area and watched me have, what he thought, would be a reserve ride...

Well, it was the best opening I had in a long time...

In another case, I taught a guy how to pack the night before. He was still in the middle of AFF himself. His first packjob that was ever jumped was my rig that I paid him to pack for me as I needed to make a quick turn with another student. It also an acceptable opening.

Have an experienced skydiver watch you from beginning to end. Tell them to stay quiet and only stop you for major issues (that would effect opening, not convenience/speed/style)... Then jump it.

Dude just jump it!

I know a guy who actually TRIED to pack himself a mal [not that I agree with this at all] and he could not manage it.

Just do everything they've taught you to do and throw that pilot 'chute.

I've jumped my own pack jobs since jump #3 (save 3) and I wouldn't have it any other way.

YOU'LL FEEL LIKE THE MASTER OF YOUR DESTINY!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Have you been packing it by yourself every time? I got over it by slowly working my way up to packing it unassisted... the first few times I'd have people check me at multiple points, gradually working my way up till I was packing entirely on my own

I had help the first 3 times, but the next 2 were on my own with somebody watching over my shoulder.

My 2 with silent supervision were good packs, from what I've seen others do, but I'm freaking horrified to jump my own pack job.

I remember being a bit paranoid the first few times of packing my own as well. I think it's normal. You've just come off of training that highlights all the things that can go wrong; many of which could be directly attributed to a bad pack job.

Rather than trying to get "unafraid," listen to what the fear is telling you. Know what lines go where, and why it's important they are folded where they are. For me, once I could visualize what the darned thing looked like when properly folded, it was a lot easier to verify that I could depend on my own pack jobs.

As someone wiser than me in this arena has said, the parachute wants to open. You have to do something to prevent it from doing so. Understand what those things are and learn how to avoid them. Also, learn to double-check yourself with some initial guidance from a rigger. Pay them for their time to show you. It's a great convenience to have a packer as they tend to be very fast - but I have no higher confidence in my pack jobs as when I do it.

Most of all, do NOT fall into the time-trap. Many newer people do not pack their own rigs because they are either embarassed about how long it takes them, or they are very hung up about missing loads. It's not a speed contest. Take as long as you need to feel comfortable with your pack job.

Many a seasoned jumper would be well to remember this as numerous near or full-blown accidents that have occurred can be traced back to an avoidable packing error that prevented normal deployment of the main. There is never any justification to rush past a safe pack job. Miss a load if you have to. I've done it many times and take my good ole' time packing.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

My 2 with silent supervision were good packs, from what I've seen others do, but I'm freaking horrified to jump my own pack job.

Then find a friend to jump it.;):) Just kidding.

I would find someone then to work with who will let you assist in their rig - and when they jump it, it will prove you have the skills.

But seriously, if people have said your rigs are good to go, it is time to jump.

Thanks for your post.

One of the big things that have put doubt in my mind is it takes 3x the time for me to pack my own compared to others at my home DZ.

Now that I have my A license, it's even harder for me to try to pack a rig I'm not familiar with and having people watching me as I'm packing my shit. Yeah, it's a vanity thing for me.

I'm going to rely on a rigger to jump the jet at Perris next weekend, but, because of your post, I'm going to jump my own pack for the helicopter and the subsequent fun jumps.

If you're going to be at Perris on the 31st, can you hunt me down and give me a pair of Depends to wear for my first self-packed jump?

Please?

Thanks for your post.

One of the big things that have put doubt in my mind is it takes 3x the time for me to pack my own compared to others at my home DZ.

Now that I have my A license, it's even harder for me to try to pack a rig I'm not familiar with and having people watching me as I'm packing my shit. Yeah, it's a vanity thing for me.

I'm going to rely on a rigger to jump the jet at Perris next weekend, but, because of your post, I'm going to jump my own pack for the helicopter and the subsequent fun jumps.

If you're going to be at Perris on the 31st, can you hunt me down and give me a pair of Depends to wear for my first self-packed jump?

Please?

There is 3x the time to pack because you are just going very slow, and then there is 3x the time because you are not 100% sure of what you are doing. I am not a rigger, so get the advice of a qualified rigger to make sure you know which of these you are -

But whatever you do, jump a rig when you are satisfied it is right, regardless if that takes you 5x as long as everyone else. You do yourself and the sport a service by being highly educated and subsequently competent in this area of safety.

Lastly, as a non-professional and just a simple observer, I'd recommend that the first order of business would be to reject anything having to do with vanity. Vanity, or something very much like it, has killed a lot of people in this sport.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Thanks for your post.

Please?

There is 3x the time to pack because you are just going very slow, and then there is 3x the time because you are not 100% sure of what you are doing. I am not a rigger, so get the advice of a qualified rigger to make sure you know which of these you are -

But whatever you do, jump a rig when you are satisfied it is right, regardless if that takes you 5x as long as everyone else. You do yourself and the sport a service by being highly educated and subsequently competent in this area of safety.

Lastly, as a non-professional and just a simple observer, I'd recommend that the first order of business would be to reject anything having to do with vanity. Vanity, or something very much like it, has killed a lot of people in this sport.

Thanks.

I had the same issue when I was packing my rig at the end of the day a couple times. Everyone was sitting around in the hangar chilling and I was packing my student rig in front of like 5 people, 3 of which were extremely experienced and who I could feel dissecting every fold and stow I made on that pack job in their heads. Dont get me wrong, if they saw a problem I made I would surely want their opinion but most of them were just chiming in and not really adding anything constructive.

To answer your original question though the best way to get over that fear is to just jump. Believe me I had similar issues 2 months ago.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Don't worry, your packing will eventually get faster with time :)Everyone always makes jokes about the time it takes me and that I should be in the guinness world book of records for slowest packer :)But I'm slowly getting better... I'm down from like 2 hours with constant "What do I do now?" questions to 30 minutes haha... still very slow :D but I get there in the end.
Also the fear will slowly go away with time too, as you continually jump without problems etc...
The canopy I packed for my packing test was jumped by a stage 1 AFF student! I was shitting myself but once it opened fine and the student landed safely it really made me feel better about jumping my own pack job myself... and to know they felt confident my pack job was good enough to give to a newbie.

Of course you should take however much time it takes to pack, and not feel self-conscious about it. But keep in mind that many experienced jumpers/packers can and do reliably pack rigs in around 5 minutes or so. And most of those people don't have high malfuntion rates.

Do you drive a car? If so, are you able to execute fairly complex maneuvers reliably now, even though you felt like a fish out of water when you were first learning to drive? Sure you are. Are you constantly getting into accidents or near-misses? Of course not.

The point is this: as long as you're reasonably careful and get the basic steps down, the chances you will pack yourself a malfunction simply by being less than perfect are acceptably slim.

A month ago it was hot, humid, and I was tired and sore after a long day of jumps. I did a so-so job closing the container...nylon was spewing out the top of the D bag and the neck was getting pretty slack, so I said to myself "I'll repack this in the morning". Next morning I woke up and remembered to repack..."I'll do it after breakfast and a shower".

Next time I thought about repacking it was in freefall..."Ohhhh...riiiighhhhhttt". It opened fine, just a bit quicker than normal (mine opens really slow normally)

Most people are far better packers than they give themselves credit for. Fear is normal...pack up, plan a 5k opening and go jump it...

Edited to add:
Let go of the vanity stuff with it taking so long to pack on your own...I know its hard, but its unnecessary. When you've got a couple hundred pack jobs you'll find yourself some day after sunset load drinking a Heinekin and watching some newbie packing and I'm sure you'll be thinking nice thoughts. Most likely the experienced people around you are doing the same, making sure you are doing a good job. They don't want to see you get f'd up.

I packed my AFF 7 jump. What a confidence booster to know that you have the ability to save your own life. I've only had a few packed by others since then.

The more you pack, the more you understand how to tweek the little things that make for a better opening. You'll never get that by paying someone else to do it.

I've packed my own rig 5 times now, but I've always paid to have them re-packed.

I'm mortified of jumping my own pack.

How do I get over this?

Well, my wife had 2 total malfunctions...with a packers' pack job. for some reason, the packers just stuffed the pilot chute it the BOC like a ball...she couldnt pull it out, in the air, or the ground. Her own fault for not checking it, but she had not learned how to pack yet. After the second one, we talked to the packer...they claimed that her arm strength was week. Uh, she does bikram yoga everyday, and is a waitress...sufficent arm strength. Learn to pack that day...never went back, and never have had even the smallest glitch on openings since.

Take control of your life. I dont let anyone do brake work on my cars, and I do all the work on my ultralight...you never know when someone is haveing a bad day, or gets rushed to finish something...and does it wrong. :o

First , drop the vanity. Everyone expects junior packers to pack slowly. First you get good, then you get fast.

Second, learn to ignore comments from drunks - after sunset.

Third, learn to focus on the major points:
1. lines straight
2. brakes set
3. slider ALL the way up
4. rubber bands tight
5. bridle routing (includes cocking pilot chute)

My pet peeve is people waste a half hour flaking the bottom skin (minor point), but don't have clue where their slider (major point) is in the finished pack job.

Fourth, go jump your pack job.

I've packed my own rig 5 times now, but I've always paid to have them re-packed.

I'm mortified of jumping my own pack.

How do I get over this?

Jump it.

While 3-4.5K is a standard hop-and-pop height, most places will let you out somewhere between there and full altitude for a price between the two. Try a high hop-and-pop if you want more time.

If the people that are watching you over your shoulder aren't cringing or better yet, butting their head in and telling you that you are fucking up, than you should be fine.

Remember, a parachute wants to open. With some of the packjobs that I have seen people do, you'd be surprised at how shitty it can look and still open beautifully.

Oh by the way, your fear will go away after the first jump on your packjob B| And let me yell ya, it's a great feeling to know that you packed it. Now you don't have to rely on anyone!

Have fun dude.

Talk to your favorite packer. Most of us are quite happy to watch you pack and reassure you that there's no reason not to jump the pack job. Then you put the rig on, and go jump it!

Who cares how long it takes you? I'm a packer now, but when I started, it took a good 1.5 hours to pack my rig. It took several hundered pack jobs before I was at 10mins or less.

If time is a factor, pay for the pack jobs during the day, but ALWAYS pack your last jump of the day... preferrably with one of the packers watching to help your confidence. If you have your own gear, pack it every night at home once.... that will help with both speed and confidence.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Man. I'm not trying to be a dick.. but just go jump it. As long as it's hooked up properly, and you have a basic knowledge on packing (setting the brakes, bringing the slider up, stowing the lines and routing the bridle), it's going to open (might not be super soft or on heading .. but hey .. any opening feels good to me- the rest come with practice). You said you've had experienced people watch you pack. They wouldn't sit there and watch you pack a total mal. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but as someone suggested, just have someone observe you packing again. If they clear it.. go jump it.

Once you jump it, it will give you a lot of faith in yourself. Once you get comfortable with that, and get some jumps, try disconnecting the main entirely, reconnecting it, then jumping it. That's the real confidence booster!!!

Good Luck.
Don't die.

Nathan
Nathan