DA50

Landing off

I love landing off. If it’s done successfully and you don’t get hurt, it can be quite fun.

I landed in a field in the middle of a country fair once when the spot went long. Yesterday I landed in the local motel’s parking lot. All the cars on the road were blowing their horns. Their occupants waving and giving me the thumbs up.

Where have you landed that is noteworthy?

My only off landing was in a small field, between power lines, a farm house, concrete irrigation channel and a main road, in a country I don't know my way around in and in the rain! So that was fun! :D

Finding my way through the fields and over the streams to the road whilst carrying all my kit wasn't fun either but when I got to the main road all the locals were honking their horns and laughing so I couldn't stop smiling either! :D Was eventually picked up and taken back to the DZ

My favorite off landing was on a cross-country in which we totally screwed up the spot. 4th of July weekend.. We followed the LO into a backyard BBQ. They got a half-dozen skydivers skidding into their party and we got chicken and beer. Nice day.
Owned by Remi #?

My best off landing was a jump about 8 years ago. We were in a 206 on a marginal day, climbed through a hole over the DZ and watched the hole close up. Figured well were up here so what the hell, climbed to 12000 looking for the DZ. Started running low on fuel and the pilot said he was going to have to start down. I looked at the other 3 in my 4-way and said F@#k it lets go! Opened the door , looked down it was solid overcast with tops about 5000. Looked back at the pilot, smiled and said 10 left. Launched a 4-way turned a bunch of points and tracked through to the bases. When we came through the bases there was a town off in the distance but it wasn't the town by our DZ. We all landed in a field by a farm house. Out came this really nice farmers wife with lemonaid for us. It was only after talking to her that I realized that we were about 9 miles from the DZ. She let us use the phone and pack in her front yard. Our DZO didn't pick us up for a couple of hours. I think he decided to let us sit for awhile for being so stupid, but what the hell it was an adventure.

My favorite off landing was at Quincy 97.

2 way, last out of the Casa on a long spot. We ended up in a field about 2 miles from the airport.

A whuffo couple watched us land, asked the local farmer for permission to drive through his property and proceeded to pick us up at the closest cross fence. They then drove us all the way back to our tent.

Of course they got free admission to the WFFC and hung around for a while, but that wasn't the reason they did it. Apparently a lot of the locals would stake out sections of the road to help lost skydivers. The majority of the Quincy locals were extremely friendly and welcomed the WFFC every year.

3 times, 2 were eventful...
My first was stage 9 AFF, which is the hop 'n' pop. Fell off the strut, landed downwind (to avoid a low turn / powerlines) in a field with a bunch of cows all mooing at me and running for it when they saw me - except two who were going at it. Landed a little hard and my goggles were smooshed into my face, but not too bad considering I had the 270 student canopy :)Second was due to a fault with the plane (hot fuel) and we had to get out 14km south of the DZ. Landed hard on my coccyx (this is a month ago now and it's still a little tender) - I think this was because I was nervous so I screwed up... and possibly some turbulence from the huge trees in front... anyway landed in Farmer McNasty's yard.. it was a 38'C day (100'F!) and the only shade we had was the Cessna's wing! The farmer didn't even offer us a drink of water :( what fun that was...

Well it amused everyone else I guess...
A lot stronger uppers than we thought on the first load so, with no chance to make it back, I picked what seemed to be the biggest, flattest dirt field I could see and just to be on the safe side aimed right for the middle. Of course the reason it looked the flattest was that it was a field of smooth mud under 2-3 inches of water. Talk about sticking your landing! It took me 30 minutes to crawl out of there through about 18 inches of thick mud and water, leaving behind my shoes which were sucked off early on. The DZ van occupants who came to pick me up just sat and laughed..they put me in the back of the pickup truck and then wouldn't let me back into the DZ until I had been hosed off! I spend the rest of the day getting a crash course from the DZ rigger on how to clean a rig and chute...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Balloon jump at the WFFC this summer. Have no idea where I was. Never saw any of the people I jumped with again (I was solo, and last. We had to drift quite a way to find a good landing spot, and then I ended up landing beside the road anyway.) I guess everyone else hitched a ride back, but the chase truck found me. We were 30 (THIRTY!) miles from Rantoul. The woman driving the truck was from the area and didn't know where we were. Got back using the compass on the dash until she recognized some landmarks. Got back at noon from a morning jump.

Best jump so far.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I had much the same WFFC experience as Freakflyer. When wingsuiting at Rantoul we were often told just head away from jump run and where you land is where you land.

My most interesting one was swooping inbetween the trees and landing on the lawn at a university or some sort of municipal buoldings in town.

I also loved how the locals would compare where the jumpers in the back of their trucks/ cars were from. "South Africa" won a lot. :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Five years ago, on New Years weekend, we were doing CRW at Sebastian and got a bad spot. 16 of us drifted away from the DZ and landed in the Indian River, which is about a mile wide at that point. I was in the group of 8 that headed for a small island. Three of us landed on a tiny bit of useable landing area and the rest went into the drink, except for one who actually made it to land, found a guy working on his boat, and came to rescue us. The other 8 landed way out in the middle of the river, and were eventually rescued by various boats and jet skis.

To this day, on takeoff, the CRWDogs still chant, "Sebastian - Swim, Baby, Swim".

Kevin K.

Last spring doing 40 ways at Sebastian. Last jump of the weekend. I think everyone landed off. I landed with a group of 5 on the other side of the river on a construction site. No one knew wher the hell we were. A pick up truck comes down the road with a couple in it. They say "we were watching you from our trailer and knew you weren't going to make it to the airport want a lift". We bought them beers as soon as we got back.:D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

My one an only time landing off wasn't the greatest thing in the world but wasn't horrible. After a 3 way FF I turned, tracked and deployed. The winds were a bit different up at 3000+ so I wasn't getting the greatest penetration. I was half way over these trees that separate the DZ and a sod farm. At about 1500 ft I decided I was not going to make it and headed for the sod field. I landed and decided since the grass was so nice I would just pack right there (a mistake in my book). After I was done I started hitchhiking towards the DZ. After about 30 minutes of walking and no one pulling over to help me (I think if I didn't pack my chute people would have realized that I wasn't just some stranger trying to get a ride, rather a skydiving in distress). Finaly a guy pulled over and gave me a ride back. During this ride the whuffo gave me all sorts of advice of what I did wrong and where I should have landed. I wound up making it back for sunset load which was just about to go up but since I was packed I was all ready for it. I wasn't very far from the DZ but because the DZ has razor wire on the fence surrounding it I could not just simply walk through the trees. If it wasn't for the guy picking me up I would have walked for about an hour and a half.

Last spring doing 40 ways at Sebastian. Last jump of the weekend. I think everyone landed off. I landed with a group of 5 on the other side of the river on a construction site.

I made it to the golf course. I was doing a straight-in approach to land next to the cart path when I look up and see some yahoo doing a 180 to swoop the water hazard.
:o

It was the load from hell. It happened 7 or 8 years ago. I still have jumper friends to this day who were on that load. One person on the load I was to meet years later and we would become fast friends talk about it.

Conditions:
Late fall, dropping ceiling, down to 1100 feet by deployment time. Winds in excess of 20 mph. Wouldn't try it today. Neither would this DZ now.

Opened downwind of the DZ, trying to land in a plowed field. Wind pushed me back over a ravine with big trees on the banks and a creek and small pine trees on the ravine floor. Wind was dropping as I descended, partially due to the windbreak of the trees on the ravine crest, requiring constant adjustment. Had 70 jumps. Slid to a stop between two 8-foot pines with no damage, just a grass stain on my knees. No injuries on the load, but one parachute landing in one of the trees on the ravine crest by another jumper. One freeflyer had shoe laces come tied together in freefall, had to kick off a shoe on landing. Have picture somewhere.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143