chutem

Are you "This Guy" at the DZ?

On the other side...As much as I'd like to be This Guy in the air, I'm not qualified, IMO.

Sure you are. You don't have to be "good" to jump with newbies, you just have to be safe.

True statement.

Several newer jumpers have told me that what I did helped them a great deal. What I did was go out and lay a base. Don' chase them at all, just lay still and let them work on docking on you. That way they can see what their movements are doing. You might make 3 or 4 jumps with them before you even get a hook up but you have to be patient. Watch them closely and on debrief give them suggestions on how to improve.
Keep it light and fun for them and you will be surprised at how fast they can improve.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks Stratostar. I am sure I will be out there in November once Skydive Greene County closes down for the winter. I don't want to let my skills "or lack thereof" :P go down hill over the weekend.

I might get there sooner though.

I will keep you in mind.

David

Are you this guy? You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve. The one who see's me having trouble with my sit exit and gives me some pointers. You know the one, the guy who could deservingly be called a skygod but never acts that way. You've seen him/her around always ready to set you straight if you deserve it, but doing it in a nice way that doesn't embarrass you in front of everyone.

If you are this guy THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
James

What an awesome post! I absoultely second it. I have definitely come into contact with "this guy" at my DZ. I have a huge fear issue and he will even sit there for hours just letting me talk a mile a minute to him to get the fear out of my system. He has adapted jumps to make them the least scary they can be for me and if it wasn't for him, I would probably have caved in to the fear and stopped. He has gotten off his own fun jumps to jump with me and he pushes me without being forceful. I always say that I want to buy beer but he always tells me not to because he knows I can't afford it, and he still helps me.

The thing about skydiving that has really touched me is that there is such a diverse demographic of jumpers yet there is no discrimination over age, race, religion, appearance (at least at my dz)... I love watching people who are completely different in every way dirt dive and jump together, brought together as friends because of their mutual love for the sky.
Being in the sky is not the only beautiful thing about this sport, the people are incredible too.

For me, that guy is spread out among a couple of guys. #1 would be Larry Hoskins. Larry has always found time to jump with all the new belly fliers. He's dead serious about helping you improve; but, he always makes sure that every jump ends with some smiles. Larry has always been there to offer advice, help or anything else I needed. Thanks Larry.

Then there is Brian Ball and Larry Thomas. Both great guys. Larry sets up the Scrambles and Rookie Challenge. Brian takes the time to jump with us low number guys.

There are many more people I could name. John Skinner always has a smile and some sound advice, John Kiernan, Sonic answer all my rigging/packing questions.

Tom Buchanan (Tombuch on DZ.com) was always there as a the voice of reason offering sage advice and standing up for the all of the jumpers. Both on a national level and at the Ranch.

There are more; but, the post would get too big.

Thanks!!!

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Are you this guy? You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve. The one who see's me having trouble with my sit exit and gives me some pointers. You know the one, the guy who could deservingly be called a skygod but never acts that way. You've seen him/her around always ready to set you straight if you deserve it, but doing it in a nice way that doesn't embarrass you in front of everyone.

James

I met "this guy" at the DZ last week. He did a jump with me that I didn't get quite right so then he DID IT AGAIN!!!

It is the first time I have jumped with someone who was not being paid to coach me!!

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart...:)

The old staff from Dburg; Condor, Mike D, Senior, Punk, Mouse, God(Matty),Killer.

The old Long Island Skydivers Club. For letting me eventhough they hated anyone new. Learned a lot from those old bastards.

Last but not least "THE SPORTMANS" some of my best years every;Jack Dripper, Vinnie the rapist, Cable Girl, The Neck, Dan the Man, Hank, Loud mouth Rob, One eye Tony, Bagboil, Fredy, JD + Sandra, Little Ricky, Brad+Cavin, Robin,Neil the drunk, 2 cypress fire Carol,Terry with balls, Chicken, Scooter, Jen, Strange Dave,Oren,Sonic+donna and anyone else from the lounge.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Actually, I wish Sparky was still playing too!

I learned a phenomenal amount about skydiving and some much needed people skills from Sparky.

And let me tell you mostly what he did was lay a base for me. A solid on-heading base so that I could tell what I was doing right and wrong. Then he has this wicked way of making you get the heck out of the door without worrying about it all. It's more a game than it is anything else with him.

He wasn't much more than just an orange target for me in the times when I had 32 jumps to my name. And until my skill level increased so that I could think beyond just acquiring the target, he made sure I didn't do something stupid or jump where I couldn't deal with it. He taught me to not be cargo under my canopy and he showed me it's OK to stand my ground if spotting required it. Never not once did I ever feel not safe with him around the DZ.

When I was ready to start playing in "zoo" loads he had great advice and encouraged me to learn from others. But never has he not offered me a perfect ear and he can listen at the terminal velocity speed.

So Michael is every bit THIS GUY! A few years and a couple of hundred jumps later, he's also my best friend! If not for him, I wouldn't be ready for where I am headed.

P.S. He also includes me in some of the best parties with the guys you started this jumping from planes so many years ago. History has a way making me feel goose bumps~~

P.S.S. I will always jump with anyone who asks and/or I know they are needing a jump buddy. It's all part of paying it forward!:)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Sparky rocks.B| I'm glad I got at least one jump in with him. Though I still don't believe this whole "retirement" thing. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For a number of years I made a point of making a few jumps every month with someone under 100 jumps. They would try to pay for my slot and I would just brush it off knowing that I got far more out of it then they did. You see the look on their face in freefall and listen to them re-tell the jump at freefall speed once on the ground. At the end of the day it just makes your world a little nicer place to be.

Sparky, you most certainly were that guy, and in spades, both at the DZ and away from it. Your retirement is a huge loss to the sport, and to me personally. Who else will let me target them with my mad tracking skillzzzzzzz and be able to duck when I forget I'm the one who's moving and not you? Bozo, maybe...you and Bozo are "that guy" for me.

So thanks, Sparky. Thanks a ton.

And Bozo, thanks to you, too. A ton as well.

Ciels and hugs to you both-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I am definitely not yet that guy (59 jumps now), but I help out with things I can such as packing student rigs and trying to be helpful to everyone that I can. I have many of "those guys" at my DZ and am very grateful for it. I hope people continue to strive to be "that guy." This sport needs it.

Todd, I owe you a beer (or 24)
Paul

"It's like a hamburger, with cheese on it"

[ Bozo, maybe...you and Bozo are "that guy" for me.

So thanks, Sparky. Thanks a ton.

And Bozo, thanks to you, too. A ton as well.

Ciels and hugs to you both-
Michele

Wow, Michele I just saw this post.. thanks.
I had a whole bunch of fun jumping with you in that oh so cool tight suit and loved watching your face when you put on that big slow suit and found out you really could fly.
Heres the scam..... like when I was doing all those paid demos.....I would have done em for free, just like the jumps with lowtimers. I know I can speak for Sparky here.....its just as much fun for us as it is for you.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Great post.

I am trying to be...one of these days maybe someone will actually think so.

I think so... I really do. But I would say not "This Guy", I'd say "These Guys".
Yes, past two weeks of my "self grounding" and "brain damage" suffering, really opened my eyes and explained "who is who". :)Andy, Frank, Mike A. and Mike G., Val, Hans - you are my heroes!!! Thank you, very much!

To be 'that guy' takes the patience of an angel.

I mean, setting aside personal improvement to help out others is one thing. Paying his own slot to sort some n00bs troubles out. Pretty decent.

Then the n00b gets a few hundred jumps. Knows it all. Lectures that guy, ignores his advice. Sometimes, the n00b gets way better than that guy, since the n00b may focus exclusively on himself, reaping the benefits of having that guy to coach him. Thay guy just ain't cool anymore coz he ain't got mad skillzzz.

Other times, the n00b does it all too fast. Ignores the advice and end up hurting himself.

That's when another n00b enters the picture. Still, having experienced many n00bs, some good, some bad, that guy still takes the n00b under his wings and does it all again and again.

Pretty amazing patience. I try to help out by my patience is nowhere near the true "that guys" in the world.

"That guy" took me up on a lot of jumps when I was a newbie... several hundred jumps and 3 teams later I got pretty good. In 2006, the same "That guy" took a slot on my team, and we proceeded to take 6th at nationals in intermediate... it's the best score he's posted since the 80's, and the best ever for me and the rest of the team.

A few of us try to pay that guy back. Right now, I'm as strong a flier as he is, maybe stronger... but then I'm 28 years younger and 115 lbs lighter too. Someday, I aspire to be a lot better than him. But if I do, and the two of us cross paths later, he'll get on any dive with me he wants.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Just one more thing to add... the other two of my teammates got a lot of their coaching from "that guy" too... myself and one other as very new jumpers, and the other not so new, but came from a small DZ without a lot of high-level stuff going on.

So in this case, "that guy" brought up his whole future team!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

James

WOW! People like that exist at DZ's? Your lucky if you know them!

i got my ti rating because i wanted to pay back what i got from some very patient and fun people that helped me when i started jumping - i found out why they helped me when i would see the looks and smiles on the students faces - i now have over 2200 jumps and at least 800 of them are with students or jumpers with less than 100 jumps - i have found that theese are some of my funest and most rewarding jumps - one of the most patient and fun load organizer i have ever jumped with is terry gardner - he is now at sda but i know he is continuing to help all the newbies just like he has always done - terry has organized lowtimers for years and helped countlees jumpers improve in a no presure lots of fun atmospher - terry when you come back to illinois we would love to jump with you

You see the look on their face in freefall and listen to them re-tell the jump at freefall speed once on the ground. At the end of the day it just makes your world a little nicer place to be.

Man that is what this sport is about. Happiness!

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

James

WOW! People like that exist at DZ's? Your lucky if you know them!

If you don't have at least a few, and probably several of "this guy" at your DZ, you might look at changing DZ's. Every DZ has the arrogant skygod that thinks his crap doesn't stink and he's so busy preening and asking "didja see me land that one?," but for every one of him, there's at least half a dozen as-good or nearly as-good skydivers that will help you as much as you need help. Buy em' a beer, buy them a slot, or bring them a bottle of wine (once in a great while) if they help you out over the course of time.