Mr17Hz

New dropzone management software - on it's way!

To all dropzone owners and managers,

I am currently in the process of developing an extremely extensive dropzone software package, RealDropzone™, which will address all of the shortcomings with existing dropzone management solutions. In addition to providing all of the functionality that is to be expected with a dropzone software product, RealDropzone will change the way dropzone’s do business. Why?

The RealDropzone system represents three tightly integrated software solutions:

• A locally hosted client/server application for staff use. This component features an extremely easy to use user interface designed to allow office staff to have complete control over the business. It does not come with the downfalls associated with web based applications, and is modeled around software packages that most computer users are already familiar with, like the Microsoft Office products. The windows based user interface has been designed to both reduce the time necessary to do common tasks, but also to be intuitive and self describing to make uncommon tasks easy to accomplish by someone who has not done them before.

• A locally hosted web based application for local kiosk or wireless notebook based self check-in, account funding, and manifesting. “Organizer” permission can be granted to customers trusted to manifest groups of others; however will be restricted from actually financial information. Jumpers could use a dropzone provided kiosk, or bring their own wireless based computers for self manifesting. This component can also feed wired TV displays, or wireless handheld computers with real-time manifest information, useful to loaders, pilots, and jumpers alike.

• A remotely hosted web site / application that features the most advanced tandem pre-registration module ever created; focused around groups and solving all of problems related to accepting group payments and setting confirmed group rates. The registration module also makes it very easy for fun-jumpers or anyone else to organize tandem groups and reward them automatically for their efforts. Fun jumpers can view account history and make credit card payments online. Customers can also pre-register for scheduled events such as boogies, training classes, or special jumps. Advanced replication between the remote database and local database has been developed so that if a dropzone looses its internet connection, both the dropzone and their public website will continue to operate; only a small amount of web functionality will be lost.

Great effort has been placed into the product that allows for an extremely flexible and intelligent pricing system. Pricing so advanced that the computer can accurately determine group rates, targeted marketing specials, second jump prices, special event rates, online order discounts, pre-registration discounts, etc without operator intervention for almost all advanced scenarios. The system seamlessly handles advanced gift certificates and rain checks that maintain their price for a given period of time, but then eventually expire into a dollar amount, and potentially after that expire completely.

… I could talk forever about the features, but I will cut it short here, a full feature list will be available with sales documentation by spring/summer 2007 when the product goes public... This software is currently being developed for implementation at Skydive Chicago this fall. After a successful implementation, I will be looking for a small group of dropzones interested in implementing this product before it becomes public. The purpose for this small initial group is to allow me to offer great support while building self-help documentation and fixing user interfaces where any confusion may exist. I will also spend this time to make the installation and implementation as efficient as possible, so that when the product goes public, product support will be exceptional.

I have set up some restrictions for being involved in this initial pilot group:

• Dropzone must manifest over 8,000 jumps per year
• Dropzone must have a very technically competent IT person regularly available. This person must be familiar with small business networking, Microsoft Windows Server, and understand concepts in internet communications.
• Dropzone must have staff available November-February, and running at least light operations.
• Dropzone must have been operating for a minimum of 3 years

I am looking for volunteers to participate in this pilot to come from a variety of existing operations. Dropzones using existing software products, or operating on paper systems are all welcome to apply. Anyone that is interested please send an email to mattchristenson at realskydiving dot com. All initial participants will receive special license pricing options.

Thanks!
Matt Christenson
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Have you tried SkyWin?

http://www.adbekonomi.se/skywin/

It works really well for small as well as large Dz's

I went through extensive research and have reviewed all of the products on the market. All of them represent decent products of yesturday's technology. It's 2006 now, and there is no reason why a reasonably priced dropzone management solution cannot answer all of the questions that regularly get asked about the competition:

• Why do I have to enter a customer's information someplace when they already did it online when they signed up?

• Why does our online reservation system force large groups to have deposits paid all by one person?

• Why does our online reservation system not attempt to collect all of the customer information required at manifest, so that customer registration takes less time?

• Why can't our online reservation system process security deposits immeadiatly, but then automatically charge the remaining full price 24 hours before the reservation (after a confirmed group number has been generated so an acurate discount price can be deturmined). It takes so much time running credit cards!

• Why do I still use this stupid credit card reader machine, it takes more room on my desk, makes me think i'm still living in the 90s, and causes me to enter an "Amount Paid" value into both the credit card machine, AND my computer, and possibly into some manual log book because my computer is sometimes buggy? I don't trust it to remember the important stuff by itself.

• Why can't daily auditing and logging be so easy and intuitive that I actually use it to find out what's going on in my office and on my website, because i'm not overwhelmed with all of those numbers that mean nothing to me.

• Why can't my software development company be notified immediately when I recieve an unexpected error or something looks wrong with my data? Staying involved with my daily process will help prevent me from coming up with workarounds that allow me to get my work done but take away from the value of the overall product.

• Why do I not have a system that keeps track of “unconfirmed” tandem reservations? Those with that just show up with their rainchecks or certificates but don’t actually have a deposit down. Why can’t I give these customers a decent view of when the best time for them to come in would be while they’re on my website?

• Why can't my tandem masters sign online to view all scheduled reservations?

• Why can’t tandem masters automatically get emails if it looks like capacity demands are short on instructors?

• Why can’t I easily allow fun jumpers to pre-register for boogies online, building their account information and paying their registration fees ahead of time, so that the office doesn’t get swamped on Saturday mornings and I don’t need to keep staffing additional people for these situations?

• Why can’t I maintain a very powerful interconnected web/windows enterprise system but still be able to operate if I loose my internet connection for a day?

• Why can’t I have locally installed software whose version and security updates are managed by the software developers?

• Why can’t tandem students register themselves at a kioske, using their credit card as a sign-in; where they can take care of everything except for cash payments and waiver signature verification themselves? Especially when I have groups of 30 people come in at 3:00 in the after noon, and all of my morning jumpers are already upset because it’s been raining all day long, they want rainchecks (which is way more of a process than it should be – since a simple “issue raincheck item credit” button is all it should take.

• Why can’t my jumper / classroom capacity be automatically calculated based on:

o What planes I will have available to fly
o What pilots I will have available to fly planes
o What planes each pilot will fly
o How often does a plane need to refuel?
o What is the time from wheels up to wheels up on a hot load with no fuel?
o How many tandem masters will I have available
o How long does each tandem master need between loads (personal preference)
o How fast can my packers make sure gear will be available?
o When does the sun set tonight?

• Why can’t I keep better track of what a Dollar is? Where did the money come from, was it from a paid source (cash, credit card), was it complementary, was it work compensation? How can I make sure to allow refunds to fun jumpers who leave extra money on their accounts without accidentally handing out money that didn’t physically come in? I need it easy and reliable enough that I don’t just decide to not allow refunds based on not being able to keep track of my money well enough.
• Why can’t I manage my jump packages separate from account balances, so that I know how much money would be eligible for refund before charging penalties?

• Why can’t all work compensation pay go directly onto their jump accounts, but employees then log online to configure what percentage, or exact amount of their pay will be deducted from their jump account and entered into the payroll process?

• Why I can’t I also configure “exchange rates” between payroll compensation and account credit compensation, so that $15/hr credit can be converted into $8/hr payroll, and my employees can configure for themselves how they will be compensated, and, and change it on a weekly basis without causing any administrative headaches or extra work for me?

• Why can’t fun jumpers manifest themselves, and designated organizers manifest groups of people; for as long as they have a balance on their account? Why can’t they do this using their own wireless laptops in the hangar or packing area, to lower my own hardware costs?

• Why do I have so many Merchant accounts to handle credit card transactions?! Can’t I just have one! How can I manage to reduce the amount I’m paying to the bank, they’re rich enough already, I’ve seen their lobby!

• Why can’t I edit my website content easily without calling in my tech junkie, and without accidentally breaking anything important and racking up support fees?

• Why can’t I edit my website content so that changes will take place in the future, so that I can spend my free time on Thursday preparing Monday’s look and feel?

• Why can’t all tandem customers who have provided an email address be automatically emailed a customer survey so that I can increase the number of testimonials I can put on my website, increase sale rates of any second jump specials, and increase company branding.

• In fact, there are a ton of ways that automatic emails and responses could both help me from the advertisement angle and also customer appreciation. Why can’t I do things like automatically email fun-jumpers the activity that happened on their account over the weekend?

• Why can’t all customers be emails automatically with Birthday special! advertisement 2 weeks before their birthday?

• Why can’t fun jumpers who have not showed up for over 2 months be given custom specials like “1 Free jump on Saturday the 16th”, to help encourage them to come back and enjoy the fun.

• Why can’t all of these email specials happen automatically, but reports be emailed to me to see how my marketing ideas are working?

There is honestly no good reason why the answer to all of these questions cannot be changed, and done in such a way that it is affordable. RealDropzone provides so many time saving and intelligence collecting features, and some features that just would not be possible to do without the help of software. Business practices are changing. Software should not help a buisness do their everyday tasks faster, software should redefine the everyday tasks that a business does.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

I went through extensive research and have reviewed all of the products on the market. All of them represent decent products of yesturday's technology. It's 2006 now, and there is no reason why a reasonably priced dropzone management solution cannot answer all of the questions that regularly get asked about the competition:

But you're planning to have it done until 2007!

How big is the US market for this? 50 dropzones out of the 200?

Dare they ask the price?

But you're planning to have it done until 2007!

How big is the US market for this? 50 dropzones out of the 200?

Dare they ask the price?

It will be implemented this year, however I do not want to offer it publically until I know that i've worked out any bugs or support problems, because supporting one business is easy, but supporting a lot can be a headache and resource drain for even the smallest bug.

Pricing will be reasonable. I have not made any decisions yets, however my current thinking looks something like this:

Pricing info removed by slotperfect to keep the post within the parameters of the "no advertising" rule.

I confidently feel that whatever pricing I end up settling on will actually SAVE the dropzone more money, and GENERATE more additional revenue than the product will cost them. I've identified what I feel to be a win/win/win situation for the dropzone, their customers, and real dropzone. Included with the license fee will be many fees that dropzones are already paying to other services that will be no longer nessisary.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

register teams under a team name - allowing the (4-way for example) to split the cost of all 5 slots thus automatically covering the camera guy's slot in the 4-way's account (including team discounts, etc)

tandem referrals - the tandem passenger can indicate his jumper friend on-line that brought him, and the referral credit automatically shows up on the jumper's account

Edit: hey, anything that makes running the business and running the operation easier for the staff is good idea to me - then they can spend more face time with the customers and doing payable work like teaching and hauling meat

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

register teams under a team name - allowing the (4-way for example) to split the cost of all 5 slots thus automatically covering the camera guy's slot in the 4-way's account (including team discounts, etc)

tandem referrals - the tandem passenger can indicate his jumper friend on-line that brought him, and the referral credit automatically shows up on the jumper's account

Edit: hey, anything that makes running the business and running the operation easier for the staff is good idea to me - then they can spend more face time with the customers and doing payable work like teaching and hauling meat

All of the scenarios mentioned above have been considered in the specification of RealDropzone and will be a part of the first public release.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

As a new boogie organizer (100 person league skydiving boogie), I've looked on the Internet for registration software that would allow me to more easily do online payment stuff. I considered collecting registration fees at one time (to recoup boogie costs), although for the first year I want to attract as many people. I'm not a dropzone though.

I gave up looking for a solution and decided to use a simple spreadsheet instead, and selling the T-Shirts/embroidered patches directly at the boogie itself.

However, for Rainbow Boogie 2007, I would be looking for software that helps me for online. Although your software does not fit my bill, I am wondering if there is software that may be appropriate for a roaming boogie organizer to collect registrations, registration fees, boogie sales such as T-Shirts and patches, etc. (While the boogie may be held repeatedly at NouvelAir in certain years, depending on how they like it -- a couple other DZO's have expressed interest in hosting Rainbow Boogie in the future) Maybe even pre-collect jump deposits for the dropzone, but co-ordinating payments between me and a dropzone could be a nightmare unless the software has a way to vastly simplify that part too..

In a perfect world, there'd be a JumpPass! card that works at all dropzones, refillable even through a boogie organizer. But that's never gonna happen [:/]

Probably not relevant to this software, but there must be some event organizers out there that has, at one time or another, needed similiar software appropriate for an annual event.

As a new boogie organizer (100 person league skydiving boogie), I've looked on the Internet for registration software that would allow me to more easily do online payment stuff. I considered collecting registration fees at one time (to recoup boogie costs), although for the first year I want to attract as many people. I'm not a dropzone though.

I gave up looking for a solution and decided to use a simple spreadsheet instead, and selling the T-Shirts/embroidered patches directly at the boogie itself.

However, for Rainbow Boogie 2007, I would be looking for software that helps me for online. Although your software does not fit my bill, I am wondering if there is software that may be appropriate for a roaming boogie organizer to collect registrations, registration fees, boogie sales such as T-Shirts and patches, etc. (While the boogie may be held repeatedly at NouvelAir in certain years, depending on how they like it -- a couple other DZO's have expressed interest in hosting Rainbow Boogie in the future) Maybe even pre-collect jump deposits for the dropzone, but co-ordinating payments between me and a dropzone could be a nightmare unless the software has a way to vastly simplify that part too..

In a perfect world, there'd be a JumpPass! card that works at all dropzones, refillable even through a boogie organizer. But that's never gonna happen [:/]

Probably not relevant to this software, but there must be some event organizers out there that has, at one time or another, needed similiar software appropriate for an annual event.

When/Where is Rainbow Boogie 2007 scheduled for? If it is July or later, I may be able to help you out, by implementing RealDropzone at the dropzone you’ll be hosting at. Solving problems like this is the reason for RealDropzone, already considered is the ability for a dropzone to schedule “Special Events”, in the configuration properties of those special events, it can be specified that the dropzone itself will not be keeping the profits from registration, but that the total amount will be recorded so that a check can be written to whoever hosted the event, minus a percent fee set by the dropzone (usually to accommodate merchant account fees, but optionally to collect additional profit). When developing this concept I had Brian Germain and Scott Miller’s canopy courses in mind. Unfortunately it would be hard to justify a solution specific to a once-a-year boogie, as I expect setup costs to me to exceed what I actually make on product licensing for the first year or so that a dropzone would be implemented. I will be pricing this product on the idea that I want to break even paying for development costs after I have a handful of dropzones (~15-20) that have been paying licensing fees for 5 years, or ~30-40 dropzones paying license fees for ~3 years.

As far as your idea of a perfect world, that is exactly my long-term thinking. Because the dropzone’s local management software and the website will be driven out of the same database and structure: it would make future inter-dropzone functionality capable. My long term strategy goes along these lines:
If I succeed with this initial part of my business plan, and I find myself with 20-50 clients, the next step will be to develop a social-networking based website (friendster, myspace, etc) for skydivers at RealSkydiving.com. Here skydivers can create information profiles that contains information like emergency contact info, address, billing information, etc. Skydivers will be able to opt-in to a service that will make this information available to RealDropzone enabled dropzones through encrypted means. The skydiver will have complete control over what fields will be available to dropzones. Dropzones will be able to create customer notes about a customer that will be shared with other dropzones, for example if a customer is grounded due to medical reasons – and then tries to go to another dropzone, that dropzone will see the notes, who made them, and be able to make their own decision about whether or not to allow the jumper to jump. Skydivers will have an online “Logbook” that will automatically be updated with any new jumps made at RealDropzone enabled dropzones, configure who they jumped with, will be able to post pictures and movies, and will be able to look up cool facts like “have I ever been on the same load as skydiver-x”.

Who knows, maybe I can even get the USPA and other parachuting governing bodies to work with me on something universal. I don’t plan to make inter-realdropzone communication a proprietary feature; I plan to expose a secure web driven API that allows anyone the dropzone authorizes access to certain information.

All of this stuff is just a daydream for me right now, though; no promises yet :)
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

All I can say is that at those prices, it damn well better have all those features and be absolutely bug free. And customer support better be really good. With all those features it'll have to be really easy to use and more importantly easy to learn.
I don't think you will get more than $2,500 though.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

Pricing info removed by slotperfect to keep the post within the parameters of the "no advertising" rule.

Having been a professional software developer for a long time, and in the business of making money from that software, I think you've got the right concept in your business model. You may need to tweak some things, but keeping a steady cash flow is essential to your business.

The idea of charging a one time fee, then hoping to get maintenance charges from people, simply does not work in the real world.

Your customer service will need to be tight. In addition, you might consider value added services, such as remote database maintenance, backups, etc. This will help "justify" the continuing payments on the customers part.

If a customer wants tweaks, charge them by the hour for the development and testing time.
We are all engines of karma

A note to all . . . please keep any discussion of pricing, availability, or how to purchase this product confined to PMs. That will keep this post within the parameters of the Forum Rules regarding advertising.

Direct interaction with manufacturers is obviously of great value in the Forums, as long as it is information not solicitation.

Thanks! :)
Arrive Safely

John

Direct interaction with manufacturers is obviously of great value in the Forums, as long as it is information not solicitation.

You beat me to it. This can be done here without the blatant marketing dialogue on every post. It gets old real quick.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You beat me to it. This can be done here without the blatant marketing dialogue on every post. It gets old real quick.

I appologise to those who feel that I have violated the no advertising policy on these forums. It was my understanding that the "no-advertising" rule on this forum, as well as other public internet forums, was to avoid flooding of "non-dialog" style product plugs, ussually of the cut-and-paste variety. I had felt that the manner in which I was discussing the product (which I am not actually selling yet) was non-disruptive and non-offensive. I also felt that my project was close enough to a reality that I might benefit from multiple opinions about the usefullness and desire for specific features and solutions. I also felt that by keeping the discussion to a single thread and stating the purpose of the thread in my original post that I was being respectful of the community.

I have been asked by forum moderators to no longer discuss product pricing or availability. If anyone would like to participate in further discussion about RealDropzone, please email me at [email protected] where we can continue a dialog without breaking forum rules or offending anyone.

-Matt
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

I had felt that the manner in which I was discussing the product (which I am not actually selling yet) was non-disruptive and non-offensive.

With the exception of the pricing information (which I subsequently edited) it is indeed non-disruptive and non-offensive.

I also felt that my project was close enough to a reality that I might benefit from multiple opinions about the usefullness and desire for specific features and solutions.

Not only will you benefit, but we who read the thread and interact with you as a result can benefit as well. My goal is to preserve the direct interaction with manufacturers while honoring the no advertising rule. This is possible - it has been done before.

I also felt that by keeping the discussion to a single thread and stating the purpose of the thread in my original post that I was being respectful of the community.

Again, the thread as it stands now is indeed respectful of our small online community.

Lastly, I don't think you have offended anyone . . .
Arrive Safely

John

Though its great to see software that will do everything a dropzone needs, the small dropzone operating on a tiny budget cannot afford the "do everything" solution.

Sure on a price per jump basis it looks good, only pennies per jump, but the problem is coming up with the money in the first place when there are so many other priorities competing for attention at a dropzone.

Though there are a number of big dropzones that might benefit from the "do everything" solution they might be able to afford, there are lots and lots of small dropzone that can't spend the kind of $ you're talking about. As such you might want to consider addressing their needs too. The biggest issue I've seen has been support when dropzone software focused at the smaller dropzones and costing much less has problems. Those same small dropzones often resist support costs and end up very fustrated.

One question - of the big dropzones that might be able to afford a great solution, have you contacted any of them to see how many are willing to change from what they are doing now and what they demand for support? Might be interesting information to know before you spend a lot of time and energy.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

it damn well better have all those features and be absolutely bug free. And customer support better be really good. With all those features it'll have to be really easy to use and more importantly easy to learn.

Have you ever known any software developer to not promise all this ??? :P

Kevin

Though its great to see software that will do everything a dropzone needs, the small dropzone operating on a tiny budget cannot afford the "do everything" solution.

As a network administrator I like the idea of charging for the base software and then allowing the purchase of modules to fit your specific needs. Not all dropzones will want/need the same options. You might want to consider that.

You speak very formally - like a product brochure, good luck with the enterprise - I hope it takes off. We need more entrepreneurial types in the sport coming up with good products and ideas.

No offense taken as far I can see.

Sure on a price per jump basis it looks good, only pennies per jump, but the problem is coming up with the money in the first place when there are so many other priorities competing for attention at a dropzone.

I see the value differently than you do.

The biggest issue I've seen has been support when dropzone software focused at the smaller dropzones and costing much less has problems. Those same small dropzones often resist support costs and end up very fustrated.

That is exactly why I am working on a solution that solves all of the needs of a dropzone business, and providing a license model that allows for small and large businesses to both make use of the full featured product and support; there is no reason why everyone can’t equally split the costs and benefits of a solution that saves and makes everyone money that could not otherwise exist.

One question - of the big dropzones that might be able to afford a great solution, have you contacted any of them to see how many are willing to change from what they are doing now and what they demand for support?

I have 100% support from Skydive Chicago, which is a substantially large operation. The project was defined after I was hired to provide them with business consulting services that led to me making the decision to make a significant investment in my time and money to provide the industry with a solution that is not already available on the market. This thread is the first public note that I’ve made of the solution and it’s availability; I am not concerned about selling the solution, I am very confident that it will sell itself; and that I will make back the resources I’ve put into it over a 3-5 year period. I’m not trying to get rich fast with this; if I can’t or don’t provide the support necessary to make the product worth it, guess what happens? Customers find other solutions and stop paying license fees; which means I never see a return on my investment.

The purpose of this thread was not to be a sales pitch on the product; it was to find interesting dropzone owners and operational managers who already identify the potential value, and would like to be involved in a pilot implementation between the months of November and February of this year.

I’m not trying to convince people to see business the way I see it, I’m trying to find people that already see it the way I see it, and are looking to work together to make it a reality.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

As a network administrator I like the idea of charging for the base software and then allowing the purchase of modules to fit your specific needs. Not all dropzones will want/need the same options. You might want to consider that.

I have considered the option you suggested and have learned through experience that pricing structures like that do not provide a very secure business model. The amount of resources that it takes to split a software component up into modules that can be enabled and disabled takes extra time, and adds unnecessary complexity to the total solution. I would rather focus on business rules than restricting access and spending time worrying about who owes for what modules. By having one version of the software available and distributed I also lower my support costs; both in implementation and making sure that I don’t need to support old versions.

By pricing licensing based on the number of jumps manifested, I am able to create a simple structure that allows for every size business to acquire the software at a cost that is directly proportional to the value they gain from it. By providing bulk rates instead of monthly fees, I am able to provide discounts to customers who wish to pay for more up front.

If I added complexities like that to my model, I would have to be charging more overall: which means less value for everyone.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]