daniel52587

Did you have to repeat any AFF levels?

I passed AFF 1. I had to repeat 2 because of a shaky exit and I kept my legs up. Now I have to repeat level 3 because When they let up their grip I spun. I kept my legs up as well. And worst of all, I forgot to count on exit. I can believe I forgot to count. :(I also lose my arch when I pull. Is is normal to have a little trouble and repeat levels? I hope it is because I dont want to feel like I suck at skydiving, I really like it.[:/] Did any of you experienced jumpers have to repeat any AFF levels?

It is perfectly normal to repeat.

I know instructors that had a helluva time getting started.

Hang in there, you'll get it - listen to your instructors.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I repeated level 3 due to poor leg position resulting in a circular backslide.

There's nothing wrong with repeating levels as long as you are learning from your mistakes and working to correct them.

I have poor leg positioning too. I will pull my legs up unknowingly. I am getting better at thinking during freefall. I tend to let instinct take over and dont really think, are my legs up too much. Once I become completely relaxed and familiar with it I am sure Ill do much better.

I was fine up to level 5, then it seems I forgot everything about body position.

My legs were all fugged up and I could really hold steady. I wasn't exactly spinning out of control, but I was drifting and potato chipping. It took 4 repeat jumps to get passed that.

I had about 3 or 4 instructors try different things to get that point through my head.

[EDIT] - I just noticed you e-mail asked experienced jumpers...ok, just ignore me :P
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Oh, lordy... I think I probably repeated as many as I passed. I started out in a static line program and had so much trouble with exit stability that they switched me over to AFF for a few jumps.

It took me 37 jumps to get my A license. I sucked. I thought I was never going to get it. I thought I was going to get the "maybe skydiving isn't right for you" speech a bunch of times.

That was 2 1/2 years ago and I now have almost 300 jumps and my C license. I'm still not the world's greatest skydiver but I'm good enough to have fun and be safe. You can get there, too. Just stick with it and work with your instructors.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I didn't have to repeat any levels, but I think a couple of them were borderline. On the other hand, I didn't get my A License until jump number 56. Go figure...

Anyways, it's different for everyone dude. The important thing is that you keep sticking with it, learn from your mistakes and stay positive. Instead of dwelling on what you messed up on, think of everything else that you did RIGHT, and just try to fix the other stuff on the next jump.

You don't suck. You're new and everything is still overwhelming. Don't be too hard on yourself (I had to take this advice myself pre-A License) and just remember - we do this shit for FUN!

Good Luck bro.

I repeated levels 3 and 6. I had trouble with arching throughout AFF (especially in the beginning). For level 3: by the time the instructors were comfortable enough with my body position in order to let me go, it was almost pull time. Can't pass a release dive without being released :)
I was pretty upset at the time I failed the levels. But now I realize all of this is brand new and we're not expected to be perfect the first time around--just learn from your mistakes and keep improving!

For me, tunnel time has helped a bit as well. I did 10 minutes after Level 2 and 20 sometime after graduation. Could be something to discuss with your instructors.

Good luck!

Although I did not have to repeat any levels, on my level four I had a textbook exit, great freefall, on pull time I went head down, flipped, managed to pull the pilot chute, threw it, the bridle wrapped around my instructor. He managed to get loose @ about 2000' and my chute opened. He let me go to the next level since I did so well in freefall and I spent two hours on a cart throwing the hackey ball out while in a deep arch. Don't worry about repeating everyone has a learning curve. Dude remember, this is a very dynamic sport, I only have 11 jumps, but every time I jump I see and understand more and more!!!!!............Blue Skies

I didn't have to repeat any levels, but I cheated and went to the tunnel before I did my AFF. I know I was a bit iffy on my stability on the exit, but I nailed it by the end of AFF.

If you have a tunnel in your area, hit it up!

That is probably some of the best advice given for getting through AFF smoothly. I had problems with level 3, after some tunnel-time, no more problems. :)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I had to repeat Level 2...had a mental block in freefall. I was about half way through the dive, and instead of continuing, I went back to the beginning and started doing practice touches. By the time I caught myself, I was nearly out of altitude. It's fru$trating, but also a learning experience. After that, I was fine, and didn't have to repeat any other levels.

Learn from every jump, and don't stress too much if you have to repeat other levels. I had some tunnel time which helped a lot, though I still have problems with extending my legs. It's easy to forget them, since you can't see them in freefall! Listen to your instructors, and practice at home. Lay on the floor, put your legs up on a chair, and practice the dive flow while pressing down a bit with your legs. I even went so far as to use a timer so I would know how much time it took. But don't rush the dive flow just to beat the clock!

Listen to your instructors, and practice, practice, practice! Skydiving *is* fun, but there's a lot (mentally) going on, especially being newbies. You'll get there!
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Ill see if there is a wind tunnel around. If I dont get it within my next jump day(which will hopefully be this weekend if weather is good) Ill ask about it.

The closest ones to you are in Denver, Orlando, and Arizona.

Are you serious? Oh well, Im sure I will succeed without it.

I'm not sure how many, I may have had enough jumps for an A when I finally got through. It's all about finding the groove. Relax and have fun with each jump, don't sweat the numbers and don't overpressurize yourself. You're getting a chance to jump with an experieinced skydiver - that's an opportunity you should make the most of.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.