Inthebuff

Flying From UK to Spain With A Rig ?

Anyone flown from the Uk to the rest of Europe recently ?
With the hand baggage restrictions can anyone recommend an airline that is Skydive Rig friendly.
Most appear to want to charge about $120 each way and check it in the hold [:/]
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

I just flew back from Seville using Ryanair flying from Stansted and took my rig as hand luggage, apart from the hassle at security trying to explain to them what it is i had no problems, but my rig weighed just less than the allowance at 9.7kgs and fit into the size limits. Only problem i had was with Spanish security as i should've learnt the spanish word for parachute:)

Stanstead security are a bit more full of sh!t - and staff from the airline had to walk me through (which Air berlin very happily did - fantastic customer service, and didn't question me taking my rig on at all, or worry about the weight of it).

Flew Air Berlin out to Spain, and Iberia back. Took my rig on as hand luggage both ways without any hassle what so ever apart from security at Stanstead.

They did check to make sure it fitted in the size guide though.

Which airport in Spain are you aiming for ?

I know that stanstead are being very firm about the new size restrictions for hand luggage (50x40x20 I think) and this is smaller than my rig (it goes to about 27cm at the bottom).

Some airlines (e.g. Ryanair) are very firm about their weight. 500g over their 10kg limit and it's going in the hold (at about 5 quid per kilo :)).

If you can fly out of London City on BA's new Madrid service, they are VERY relaxed about stuff.

flew fromn bournemouth to girona with ryan this xmas carying rigs on (as in on our backs not in bags). no problem at all.

same with when we flew from gatwick to barcelona in august again rigs over shoulders.

i also checked with heathrow main security a few months back when i was passing through and they said it was fine as long as its within size dimensions.

a cypres card can be very handy!
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I did Stansted/Girona in October and took it as hand luggage in the rig bag - it was probably oversize and certainly slightly overweight (my rig weighs 12 kilos) but no real issue at Stansted and none at Girona. Good advice about the Cypress card, I keep mine in the reserve flap with the reserve docs, but haven't been asked for it yet...

Good luck!

Which airport in Spain are you aiming for ?

Gatwick or possibly Birmingham to Madrid.
Have a choice of either ( cheapest first ) British Airways, EasyJet or Iberia.

One thing cracks me up though,most the airlines allow certain sports equipment on for free.
This includes Hang Gliders and even Scuba Tanks.
No mention of a parachute Rigs though.
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

British airways allegedly have no weight limit on hand luggage but you must be able to lift it comfortably and it must fit within the size limits, so a rig as hand luggage with them shouldn't be a problem.

I phoned about 6 different airlines for a trip to SA next year. Not one of them will give sports allowance for a skydiving rig. In some cases the allowance is just an extra bag, but in many cases (golf, cycles, etc.) there is a lot of extra weight allowed for as well.

Maybe we should be trying to get the BPA to lobby some airlines about this ?

flew fromn bournemouth to girona with ryan this xmas carying rigs on (as in on our backs not in bags). no problem at all.

same with when we flew from gatwick to barcelona in august again rigs over shoulders.

Please don't do this. What is to be gained by doing this? It is only going to attract uneccessary attention. In the days of heightened tension when passengers are seemingly effecting the removal of other passengers because they are appear to be Muslim and are "acting suspiciously", why would you want to attract attention to yourself by not having your rig in a bag, not to mention the advantages of protecting your rig and having it contained if the airline or security requires you to check it in?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I don't own a bag that I could get my rig into and still get it through an airport (size limits) so my only choice would be to have it on my back if I took it hand luggage. My rig is pretty close to the size restrictions and any extra bulk would put it over.

Since most travel insurance (every single place I've checked with in the UK) doesn't cover valuable items in the hold of an aircraft, and the airlines won't pay full replacement value (see their terms and conditions) I can see why people would choose to travel with a rig as hand luggage.

I've seen what happens to checked luggage. It really doesn't matter how many 'handle with care' or 'fragile' stickers you put on, it will get thrown at best. At worst, I've seen stuff fall from carts and get driven over. I'd rather that was my clothes (total value - about 30 quid) than my rig (value, slightly more than 30 quid) :D

I do take your point about having my rig contained if I am forced to check it, but then, I have my daypack in my luggage so I can just load that up with clothes and other stuff from my luggage and replace that with my rig. And I wouldn't want my rig checked in a bag small and light enough to not put me over the size / weight limit for hand luggage so I'd probably be repacking my suitcase anyway.

I don't own a bag that I could get my rig into and still get it through an airport (size limits) so my only choice would be to have it on my back if I took it hand luggage. My rig is pretty close to the size restrictions and any extra bulk would put it over.

Check out BASE stash bags. Basically, Nylon bags with shoulder straps, that add zero bulk. I have a really nice one made by JNI that has draw strings over the surface to decrease he surplus slack.

Since most travel insurance (every single place I've checked with in the UK) doesn't cover valuable items in the hold of an aircraft, and the airlines won't pay full replacement value (see their terms and conditions) I can see why people would choose to travel with a rig as hand luggage.

I wasn't talking about checking rigs in, just covering up/bagging rigs that one carries on, but since you mentioned it, I wouldn't rely on travel insurance to cover my gear but have it itemised on my home contents insurance. What happens if you are forced to check in your gear and the airline looses it?

I've seen what happens to checked luggage. It really doesn't matter how many 'handle with care' or 'fragile' stickers you put on, it will get thrown at best. At worst, I've seen stuff fall from carts and get driven over. I'd rather that was my clothes (total value - about 30 quid) than my rig (value, slightly more than 30 quid) :D

There are plenty of sturdy, lightweight cases out there that offer more than enough protection.

I do take your point about having my rig contained if I am forced to check it, but then, I have my daypack in my luggage so I can just load that up with clothes and other stuff from my luggage and replace that with my rig. And I wouldn't want my rig checked in a bag small and light enough to not put me over the size / weight limit for hand luggage so I'd probably be repacking my suitcase anyway.

If you get turned back from security because they won't pass your rig, you day bag will most likely be on the plane at that point and they aren't going to unload it so you can get it out.

Wearing your rig over your shoulders when boarding commercial airlines screams "look at me!"

I flew with Easyjet from Stansted to Faro just before xmas. I took out the sports baggage option (£15 for an extra bag and extra weight allowance) so that me n the missus could stick both our rigs in one big hard suitcase. I've done this before with Ryanair and it worked a treat.

Unfortunately when I got to the check in desk and the kid asked me "what sports equipment is it?" I replied "a couple of parachutes" not expecting that he would reply that parachutes aren't sports equipment (!) and that I'm going to have to pay £45 extra.

So I blagged him by telling that the girl on the phone who I booked sports baggage with told it would be fine. He came back from his supervisor and told me that they would let me off on this trip.

Next time I'll tell him it's diving gear or summat on the offical "sports" list.

=========

As I remember it...

Ryanair £15 each way for another bag in the hold upto 25kg. As well as your normal allowance (15kg).

Easyjet £15 each way for another bag in the hold but only 7kg extra allowed over the original 25kg. But check what qualifies as a sport.

Please don't do this. What is to be gained by doing this? It is only going to attract uneccessary attention. In the days of heightened tension when passengers are seemingly effecting the removal of other passengers because they are appear to be Muslim and are "acting suspiciously", why would you want to attract attention to yourself by not having your rig in a bag, not to mention the advantages of protecting your rig and having it contained if the airline or security requires you to check it in?

Because the airline made me? Last time i flew with Ryanair, i had two bags, one big one with all my gear/clothes in, the other, a carry on. This is a wheeled case that is the EXACT dimensions set out for carry ons. In it i had my rig, wingsuit, log book, and there was a helmet i was carrying in my hand. The check in desk dolly said nothing about it, so we proceeded on to security.

The total jobs worth at the first security check point (before you get to line up for passport control and real security with x rays) looked at me as i was walking up to him. Bare in mind this small case is on wheels, he shouted, that looks way over weight! Eh? How the hell did he figure that from a wheeled case? He got someone to weight it, and fair play, it was a smidgen over weight. Litteraly a smidgen though. I tried to explain to him what was in the case and that it would be better to keep it in the case, but he was having none of it. He told me that i had to check in the difference.

Fair enough, went back to the check in desk, took out my rig, slung it over my shoulder and checked in a pretty much empty case. Carried my rig over my shoulder past him, no problem. I would have certainly preferred it in a case...
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Because the airline made me?

Fair enough :-) At least it wasn't your intention to carry it on that way.

He got someone to weight it, and fair play, it was a smidgen over weight. Litteraly a smidgen though

Go on, how much? Under a kilo, jobsworth, over a kilo, fair game I say.

At New Year from Stansted to Girona and back with Ryanair we had 2 rigs, 2 jumpsuits and some lead in one bag as sports allowance - didn't get questioned but if we did I would have had a couple of very heavy pairs of ski boots in there ;) Paying for the allowance is well worth it in my opinion.

As for carrying a rig not in a bag (and not forced to do so by the airline), I presume handles were tied, the hackey was tucked in and there was no concern about any perfumes, water etc bought in duty free that were in the overhead locker with the rig, breaking and spilling over it. I know I would rather have mine in the protective cover of a bag rather than trying to show people that I'm a skydiver and risking damage to my kit.

Go on, how much? Under a kilo, jobsworth, over a kilo, fair game I say.

the weight of a small suitcase with wheels.... i'd say jobsworth ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I've flown with thomson from gatwick and ryanair from stanstead to malaga and seville respectively, both times with rig as carry on, never had any problems.

As has been said, take your cypres card and worth searching the threads, (its on here somewhere, will post it if I can find it), there's a copy of the Civil Aviation Authority guidelines that state an AAD is not considered a dangerous item and is permitted as carry on.
but what do I know

Just returned from my 2nd trip to Emp' (Stanstead <-> Girona with Ryanair). Took my rig carry on (no bag) - No Problems either time, either way.

Why? You may have had no problems this time but why would you take it on not in a bag??

I dont have a bag (yet - a stuff sack would be good tho') and am not prepared to risk it in the hold (I'd never get the 2 grand back from Ryanair if it was lost or damaged).

What would you have done if you had been turned back from security? What if it is stolen from your home/car/dropzone/holiday rental car/holiday rental accomodation?

It depends on your household insurance. If you have your rig as a named item covered for a specific amount, you may be covered in the hold.

If you have your rig as an unnamed item, just part of your personal items limit, you're almost certainly not covered in the hold of an aircraft. Same goes for most (all that I could find) travel insurance as well.

But yes, in your car, your hotel, at the DZ your household insurance would normally cover it as a personal item, even if you have not named it specifically.