Reginald

Got my SCR!

I got my SCR yesterday. Okay, many of you outside of Texas will go, “Gee I’ve heard of that, isn’t that something they only did in the 70’s?” Well, it’s not as big a tradition as it used to be, except in Texas where it still lives large. Most of the DZ’s here keep the tradition up as it’s kind of a nice way to bring low times along in the sport and let us get a merit badge so to speak. We keep up the beer pouring ceremony where everyone that got their SCR gets a case of beer pored on them in the peas. I might be out sick that day. ;-)

Anyway, it was late on Sunday night and in spite of great weather most people had left. So I started asking some of the staff and experienced regulars if they wanted to do a fun jump and I put together a nice little 7 way. A very high time jumper lurked us and came in on the formation. Hey, we had an open slot! So the 8 way made it just great. Of course on the exit we left docked. On the next jump one of the instructors said let’s leave UNDOCKED and form in the air. Hmm, sounds a bit challenging but 3 of the 8 people in the group were on the world record in Thailand , one is on the Canadian national team and 2 others had several thousand jumps each and various honors. The seventh was a packer/rigger at the DZ with 200 jumps. And of course I had 85 jumps! We went out of the plane at a generous altitude. I found myself a little low and tried popping up, the base that was forming dropped down and we met in the middle. The rest of the group came in on que. We transitioned a couple of formations before I funneled the zipper we were trying to form. At breakoff we turned and burned, and watching the experienced skydivers track away I realized how much I need to work on my track! They all covered at least twice the distance I did and then some! When we met on the ground all I heard were cries of “BEER!” It was funny because one of the instructors, the one that suggested we leave undocked and planned the dive had told a few of the experienced jumpers it was an SCR attempt but left me out of the loop. So it was kind of a “Stealth SCR”. It was probably a good thing as if I would have known I’m sure I would have blown it! I had done a few SCR attempts before with jumpers with experience varying between minimal and reasonably experienced and the attempts were unsuccessful. With the group of jumpers on this dive I could have flailed around on my back spinning like a top (like I did in AFF) and we could have still gotten the SCR!

As a thought to those DZ’s that don’t carry on this tradition think about reinstating it. The SCR does not really mean the skydiver receiving it demonstrated too much skill in the air (although I like to think I flew well enough to be in the picture) but it is really more an honor experienced skydivers bestow on up upcoming skydivers that helps keep some of the tradition alive in the sport and makes up and coming skydivers feel like part of the family.

I want to extend my thanks to everyone that was on the jump for their kindness and for helping me get my SCR. And a special thanks to the beautiful lady that planned the “Stealth SCR”! It’s the great skydivers like these paying it forward that is part of what makes me love this sport so much. Hell, I just jumped with a good chunk of the world record team and I only have 86 jumps!

Blue Skies!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

What, actually, are the requirements for the SCR?

SCR-- Freeflown 8 way formation held for a minimum of 5 seconds.

SCS-- docking 8th or later on a freeflown formation of at least 8 people.

NSCR--NIGHT scr.

VSCR-- 8 way or larger formation in which no more than 50% of the fliers are belly to earth.

there are others as well. These are only the ones that i am familiar with.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Congrats.......I got mine on jump 22 it was a no show. I wish I had video of it. the look on my face when I looked up and saw 6 people swooping down must have been priceless. You'd think I would have noticed that a 6 way was going out after our 2 way:P

Congrats.......I got mine on jump 22 it was a no show. I wish I had video of it. the look on my face when I looked up and saw 6 people swooping down must have been priceless. You'd think I would have noticed that a 6 way was going out after our 2 way:P

I think i remember that. I have a pic from mine that i will always keep. It has IMGR2 in a BELLY SUIT:D:D:D

Way to go!!!! Wish I could have been there. Now you know where you are going to have your ceremony don't you??? Well I will remind you in case you forgot. SkyFest 04 in Motion at Skydive Spaceland!!! July 16-18 2004. Don't make me stop this plane and throw you off.
That is great Ron, send in you paper work and get your goodies.
Well off to another boogie
C Ya

Don't forget the SCSA:
At least 8 people thru a hoop held by 2 build an 8 way or bigger and hold for at least 5 seconds.

Hoopmaster Brett, SCSA#337

SHOW OFF, We will get mine at SkyFest. I thought we might do it on the high altitude to 22000 Friday morning!! What do you think. Hey I bet we could do the USA award, I bet that hasn't been done in 20 years.
I want my number!!!!!
J-low VSCR 23 !! Take that!! Brett :)

Don't forget the SCSA:
At least 8 people thru a hoop held by 2 build an 8 way or bigger and hold for at least 5 seconds.

Hoopmaster Brett, SCSA#337

I don't have that one yet, but Tony N. was sure proud to show off his that he got up there:D:D

Tony N. was sure proud to show off his that he got up there

Wendy looks both ways, looks at fingernails and blows on them... :)SCSA 136 (I think)
NSCSA 26

And you don't need 22,000 feet to do it, either...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy looks both ways, looks at fingernails and blows on them... :)SCSA 136 (I think)
NSCSA 26
Wendy W.

A NIGHT SCSA! OMFG You rock!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Ron that is so cool, I wish I could have been there. Congrats! Drink a cold one for me ;).

JR, if you’re around next weekend you can drink a cold one on me. Ya know I'm beginning to wonder if the staff didn't do this because the beer dues refrigerator was running low. I can see if now, "Hmm, we're almost out of beer. Where is a low timer that we can rope into a first? Well there’s Ron he’s always good for a case.” (Just joking people)…

>What is it?

Relative work started out as a freeform expression
of exploring and creating the idea of flying together.

In the early 60's Bob Buquor took pictures of some
small stars and inspired people to try to make a bigger
one.

That caused the idea of a star as something in its own
right to enter skydiving thought. It's hard now to express
the effect this had.

I know for me, a graduate student at Caltech in 1964
ostensible getting a PhD in math but having a hard
time reconciling the reality of what I was seeing on
the weekends with what I was seeing in the math dept,
the picture of the first 6 man star on the cover of Skydiving
Magazine was what tipped me over the edge and caused
me to drop out and eventually become a full time skydiver.

Bob Buquor later drowned doing camera work for a
Hollywood movie.

Bill Newell wanted to honor Bob and recognize the
advancement of relative work so he started the Star Crest.

It started with the 20 people who had been in an 8 man
star getting a letter from Bill with a patch to put on your
jumpsuit.

As time went on skydiving advanced and being in an
8 man lost its significance, except in Texas where they
have created a truly Texas sized ritual around it.

I stand well back when I see a Texas SCR ritual under
way :-) :-)

But at one time the SCR had way more meaning than
the USPA licenses.

Skr SCR-16

Here in Oz to get your StarCrest you have to be in a formation 5th or later in an 8-10 way and you have to do it 3 times. It also has to be an approved formation.
Every one has to get in too. So you can't have a planned 10 way and one person (other than you) go low, and then call it a nine way. Even if you flew your slot well.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Here in Oz to get your StarCrest you have to be in a formation 5th or later in an 8-10 way and you have to do it 3 times. It also has to be an approved formation.
Every one has to get in too. So you can't have a planned 10 way and one person (other than you) go low, and then call it a nine way. Even if you flew your slot well.

I like that idea, gives more merit to the award but get's us less beer;)! @ Spaceland we have an SCR almost every weekend that one is available to be had. Last I heard, we are one of the top SCR dz's in the world. When Scotty Carbone was here, we were #1. I figure it has newfound respect @ Z Hills these days where he and Tammi now reside!