Eiley

Kim Dear (Quantum Leap survivor) serialised story

Can't read that right now. Seem to have gotten something in my eyes.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Part 1 in The Age (Melbourne, Oz newspaper) today.

So far it looks like it' going to be a positive story.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/the-girl-who-fell-to-earth/2007/01/07/1168104867751.html

Part 2 (of, apparently 5 parts) ....
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/jitters-before-a-fateful-jump/2007/01/08/1168104922242.html

nothing to see here

A well-written piece. Thank you, Ozzies for posting it. Keep it coming.

Not sure if you all noticed, but there's a slideshow of photos attached to each day with audio (from Kim, from her Dad, etc).

Also for context - The Age is generally considered a serious, high quality daily broadsheet.

I'll post the final two instalments as they come up, unless someone beats me to it. :)

nothing to see here

I don't think his statement is fact, but more of conjecture of what *probably* was going on as the plane started to go down...

Well, the way he said it it sounded like he knew something. "Everyone was panicing but (the instructor) was calm and talked in her ear." (Paraphrased) He makes a serious differentiation I just want to know why. He could have said that the instructor just acted calmly in the situation and left it at that. But he added a whole other element to the story and I would like to know why. It's not just what he said but how he said it that caught my attention.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Well, the way he said it it sounded like he knew something. "Everyone was panicing but (the instructor) was calm and talked in her ear." (Paraphrased) He makes a serious differentiation I just want to know why. He could have said that the instructor just acted calmly in the situation and left it at that. But he added a whole other element to the story and I would like to know why.

Well I'm going to really go out on a limb here and say maybe it had something to do with him being a grieving father and wanting and needing to believe his son was a hero among men in order to help him cope. :|

nothing to see here

I believe that's possible. Was just hoping someone from Quantum Leap could comment.

I've been in 3 forced landings myself. I know personally what it's like except for the crash part (I was very fortunate). All 3 times there really wasn't any other conversation other than "everyone hang on" and "get down". I can only imagine what was happening on this flight and I feel for the people. It's a horrible experience.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

It is a wonderfully written story. But I imagine to people outside of the sport it drives home the fact that regardless of the odds, going skydiving can turn in to your worst nightmare. And I guess that is true. [:/]

That's true of life in general, but skydivers are more likely to experience it among their friends.

Traffic accidents are very similar- from doing great to awful in mere seconds. Cancer is a slower moving nightmare that could be 4 weeks, or a year or two. I've lost two people that way.

Question - unrelated to the story but regarding a plane crash scenario. I would presume that if a plane is going to crash (even if it is a controlled crash) the descent speed is going to be quite high. So lets say the pilot decides the cause is lost at 1100 feet and asks everyone to evacuate. Some of the people at the end are not going to be able to make it out in time so may decide to ride the plane down. Wouldn't their AADs trigger? So even if they survive the plane crash there is a possibility of reserve pilot chutes popping into people's faces and causing some kind of injury correct? Just looking for thoughts on this - not trying to debate the right bailout altitude which has been debated in several threads across this forum. Thanks.

Ok...You wanted a Quantum Leaper to answer....well being at the DZ that day and also being the first person to reach the crash site this is what I can say about the artical.
The plane never reached an altitude to arm a cypres, It never got above 100 feet, It lost the engine right after rotation and the plane never reach single engine speed( unfortunately they were already at the end of the runway when this happened) so it was a forced landing, however the yaw even though it was countered quickly put the otter over a subdivision and a forest. Scott had no options but to attempt to land and his only option was a road in the subdivision which was tree lined.This is fact and is what the NTSB and FAA agree with. As he tried to land the right wing caught a tree and catapulted the plane into the ground nose first. Now having thousands of jumps from that palne with Scott flying and knowing just how confident Robert and Dave were in Scott's abilities I'm sure they were giving words of support to the students, but also being very experienced I'm also sure they knew they were in trouble and scared themselves.
I thought the artical was overall well written but the author definitly added some artistic and dramatic phases.
Now please do me a favor after reading this....This accident is a wound that is still healing, The incident forums beat it to death so please DO NOT respond with questions or discussion about the crash....please keep this thread about the artical only.