goobersnuftda

PIA Symposium question to get answered

Can someone going to the symposium find out for SURE what is going on (meaning the regulations) of tandem main parachutes?

Yea, yea,yea I read the FAA blurb on it and the exemptions but here in Canada, what is the true power STONG has to make you purchase a SET instead of the seaming increasing in popularity HOP?

Get back to me and your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why don't you state your question clearly? Not sure what you want to know.

And any different opinions you get now will exist among the participates at the symposium.;)

But if Strong will only sell a complete set including main that's their right. And may be separate from what the regulations in any particular country allow you to do after the fact.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Sorry, I will be more precise. If I have a Strong tandem rig and the main canopy is jumped out, it is time to replace it.

There are many other types of tandem mains to choose from. The HOP has been getting many positive reviews. TM can flare all by himself if student freezes up, Can come in at half brakes all the way down (student semi freezes up and won't listen. I've done the video on that one).

Talk to Strong. -=>IMMEDIATE death and dismemberment. Preminant DNA damage if you don't continue to purchase a SET for the rest of your natural born life !!!!

Kinda harsh, OK, so I talk to a rigger. There are better tandem mains out there, many are using it but if anything ever happens, the onset and wrath of STRONG will perminantly damage you DNA through legal litigation. Still kinda harsh but getting a better response.

Talk to a skydiving gear manufactor. Many successes all around the world. Austrailia has it's own special tandem LICENCE so TM mfg's can not strong arm you to buying only their canopy. Still a warning about sueing your entire family line if not using a precious SET.

I'm being over dramatic of course but what I want is a straight answer. Dropping concrete blocks onto traffic is wrong no matter how you ask the question. So asking the question to wether you can use a HOP, Icarus 365 or Aerodyne A2 should not be that difficult. If they are illegal to use and put students out on then why are all these companies allowed to manufacturer and sell their products in North America?

Hello,

Here is Mr. Strong's explanation on canopies other than the SET series being used in the Dual Hawk Tandem System:

Essentially, if Strong Enterprises authorizes use of a canopy, it is ‘approved’.
If it is ‘approved’ Strong Enterprises need to have basic information about it.
Whether the T/I thinks so or not, what happens in the real world is Strong Enterprises is
approving that design and size of a canopy for use in the Dual Hawk Tandem System.
If we approve it, we need to know something about the canopy, like;
History, Size, Weight, Development effort, Opening characteristics, Malfunctions rate, etc.
And we need to have a canopy to jump to verify that information.
Receiving a canopy with no packing instructions, no identification, no date of manufacture,
no serial number, is not acceptable.
Doesn’t this make sense to you?

When the lawyers come knocking on our door, Strong Enterprises needs to be able to defend,
You the T/I, the other canopy manufacturer, the Drop Zone and ourselves, Strong Enterprises.

The information is spelled out in Service Bulletin #22 and a sheet called, Explanation of SB #22.
It gives detailed steps what a canopy manufacturer,
(or any company making a component that they want used on the Dual Hawk),
needs to do to have their canopies ‘approved’ for use in the Dual Hawk Tandem System.

What does all this do for you and your student/passenger?
It assures you, the T/I, that what you jump is safe to jump, that all the parts have been tested and fit.
That you are not the test jumper,
and that you can find the manufacturer to get repairs or problems taken care of.
And that Strong Enterprises and the other company will be around in the future to support you.

Ted Strong, D-16
President
STRONG ENTERPRISES

Please feel free to contact Strong Enterprises with any questions: [email protected] or (407) 859-9317 M-F 8am-5pm EST.

Regards,

Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises