Unstable

Dropzones being run off the airport and other Issues..

Another post recently got me thinking, and I need some feedback from somebody who has some experience with DZ/City Relations.

I can think of 2 little country towns (Osage City Kansas and Mt. Vernon MO) which have Multi-Cessna DZ operations running at the Local Airport. This is the Midwest, so a multi-Cessna DZ is big stuff.
Both Cities have different homepages - but both of them proudly make mention of the Local DZ's when citing local attractions, and both places have a special feel to them - skydivers are welcome.
Several times I've been to Mt. Vernon for a small Boogie - and the 'welcome skydivers' banners are hanging above main street - Osage City residence have joined us in hunting down lost freebags, and joked about how much they like skydivers coming from all over.
I feel that in those places, the citizens like skydivers or like the business they bring in. It makes sense - a Skydiving school brings in aircraft, can fill hotels during even a small boogie, and heaven knows the blessing in store for the bar owners. Local Airport managers would be happy to sell more fuel or see more traffic at their little city strips. It makes sense to me that a DZ is good for a community - anything that brings in goods, services, and even money will benifit a community. The principles are basic economics.

But too often I hear about Different DZ's being run off their local strips, citizens gathering to complain about a new DZ (Kansas City!?!?! >:() or problems with the city commission - what kind of complains could and HAVE kept dz's from continuing running normal operations? Is this why we donate to the Airport Access defense fund when we renew?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
=========Shaun ==========

what kind of complains could and HAVE kept dz's from continuing running normal operations?

- Wealthy people who buy houses near an airport, and then suddenly realize that there are noisy airplanes operating at the airport. So rather than realize their mistake and move elsewhere, they sue the airport.

- Other airport users, like pilots, who prefer to have the place to themselves without skydivers punching vertically through their airspace.

- City commissions who consider skydiving operations to be more trouble than they're worth.

- Bad public relations from skydivers who run amok in town, streaking nude, driving drunk, etc.

- Nearby land owners who call the police every time someone lands off-airport on their property, and consider that a trespass.

You name it, someone will sue over it.

- excessive insurance requirements, which cannot be met by most DZ operations

- added fees/taxes, which appear to be supported by the FAA, which get levied against skydiving operations

- general politics and an public view that we are 'unsafe'

- etc

- Wealthy people who buy houses near an airport, and then suddenly realize that there are noisy airplanes operating at the airport. So rather than realize their mistake and move elsewhere, they sue the airport.

Hehe, at DWH in Spring, Texas we dive bomb their homes and throw rubber turkeys at them from helicopters! ( I 'm not kdding either) :D ;)
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

[reply
- Bad public relations from skydivers who run amok in town, streaking nude, driving drunk, etc.

- Nearby land owners who call the police every time someone lands off-airport on their property, and consider that a trespass.

I prefer to streak drunk and drive nude:D:P.

At our dz I have not heard of any of the landowners complaining about off airport landings when they happen.

There are some cottages near our DZ. Actually, I feel pity for the poor people who live there. Especially in summer when they come from the city to get some rest and the DZ is doing hundreds of lifts per week... :ph34r: I guess I would have been sick of skydivers if I lived there.

And they say that someone crazy made a jump with a toilet bowl ... which 'landed' not far from the houses... :o So jumping with objects is prohibited now… [:/]

You can ask the people of Monroe GA, from what I understand they ran us off because they wanted more income from some other kind of business. Never really heard what the Defense Fund was gonna do. Whatever it was it was going to be too late from what I understood. Damn shame too I loved that place 20 mins from home and a great bunch of people.

what kind of complains could and HAVE kept dz's from continuing running normal operations?

- Other airport users, like pilots, who prefer to have the place to themselves without skydivers punching vertically through their airspace.

- City commissions who consider skydiving operations to be more trouble than they're worth.

You name it, someone will sue over it.

Roger Nelson avoided most of those problems by buying the land for building his own airport and DZ, along with adjacent lots which he sold to jumpers and DZ workers for their own homes. There's still one Farmer McNasty to the NW, but his land is quite a way from the landing area.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's still one Farmer McNasty to the NW, but his land is quite a way from the landing area.

I think everysingle dropzone has a 'Farmer McNasty' - ours freaked out at students when they landed on his land and then put up an electric fence along our S. landing area - [:/]
=========Shaun ==========

Some dipshit bought a large plot of land right next to Fraser Valley Skydiving and he built a large mega-house literally right in line with the end of the runway. You would think this genius might have figured out the implications of that, yet the first time the plane went down the runway straight at his house and took off right over it he came running over to the hangar screeching at the top of his lungs "demanding" that they not do that ever again. Not sure what happened to this brain donor in the end.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Is this why we donate to the Airport Access defense fund when we renew?

Ok, flame away as I probably deserve it for offering such an opinion without having the liberty of discussing the details, but please do not do this. The short story is that in a perfect example of "Airport Access Defense" our DZO was told by the USPA that his was a "tenant / landlord" case and nothing they could do, or even help with. My question is, what example of "Airport Access Defense" could not be considered "tenant / landlord"? What is the point of the fund?

Roger Nelson avoided most of those problems by buying the land for building his own airport and DZ, along with adjacent lots which he sold to jumpers and DZ workers for their own homes. There's still one Farmer McNasty to the NW, but his land is quite a way from the landing area.

While this takes huge sums of money to do it is the best way in the end. As long as you get full aproval from the local zonning before you build there will be little they can do to stop you once it is built. As for Mr. McNasty if the DZ owns some extra farmland around the landing area and then continues to lease it out to a farmer he will have a lot of friendly farmers around because they will all be fighting to rent the land from the DZ. I think SDC has some land they rent out now, and I'm sure the farmer who is renting it wouldn't even think of spouting off to anyone who landed off the DZ.

Land use in genneral is becoming a real problem in this country, skydiving is just a small part of it. People need to stop looking at open land as a potential development instead of a recourse that is totally irreplaceable.

While this takes huge sums of money to do it is the best way in the end. As long as you get full aproval from the local zonning before you build there will be little they can do to stop you once it is built. As for Mr. McNasty if the DZ owns some extra farmland around the landing area and then continues to lease it out to a farmer he will have a lot of friendly farmers around because they will all be fighting to rent the land from the DZ. I think SDC has some land they rent out now, and I'm sure the farmer who is renting it wouldn't even think of spouting off to anyone who landed off the DZ.

Land use in genneral is becoming a real problem in this country, skydiving is just a small part of it. People need to stop looking at open land as a potential development instead of a recourse that is totally irreplaceable.

Right - we just lost 2 local airports to development. Like we NEED additional strip malls!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.