cpoxon

"The Shadow Knows" - picture in Skydiving, January 2007

Have you seen the picture on page 4 of this month's skydiving (of GTAVercetii's father??)? The picture looks a bit odd to me; it looks like it's been taken from halfway down the aircraft, yet the point is made in print that it was taken by the pilot. Co-pilot on board? Telephoto?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Camera mounted with remote shutter release? Some of the Perris otters have a similar set-up but for video, not stills. Hasn't been used in a while though.

Perhaps, and that was a consideration I also had, but the shot seems to be fairly central, although slightly to the left, and would have been quite obtrusive? Have you seen the picture yet Bill?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I have heard a story and I'm sure it just can't be true:$ of a pilot who was flying a twin otter, left the controls, walked to the back of the plane and closed the door.

Now I'm sure no self respecting pilot would take this kind of a chance, it must be just idle gossip.:)

Dayle

But, if you set the trim for hands off flight while you're sitting in the pilot's seat, then get up and walk your body weight 10 to 12 feet back toward the door, you will find the airplane is no longer in trim for hands off level flight.
Zing Lurks

I have heard a story and I'm sure it just can't be true:$ of a pilot who was flying a twin otter, left the controls, walked to the back of the plane and closed the door.

Now I'm sure no self respecting pilot would take this kind of a chance, it must be just idle gossip.:)

Dayle

I don't know about that, but as last out on the last load I have shut the otter door on the way out before the pilot made his two hour flight to deliver the AC for maintenance

But, if you set the trim for hands off flight while you're sitting in the pilot's seat, then get up and walk your body weight 10 to 12 feet back toward the door, you will find the airplane is no longer in trim for hands off level flight.

He never left the seat. Just turned the camera around. That photo is the same as the original. No cropping. Attached is the actual
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Didn't mean to imply that he had. I was trying to point out that setting the trim won't work if the pilot is going to get out of the seat and walk toward the back because the CG shifts with the movement.
In reality, going back and closing the door is no big deal, but, generally, a Twin Otter is back on the ground so quickly after the jumpers leave, that it is hardly worth doing. The last time I went back and closed the door was after letting jumpers out and then flying 2 hours home.
Zing Lurks