Beer

How big (or small) is your DZ?

I've only jumped at smaller DZ's, with the exception of 2 jumps at Sabastian when in the Navy (got some odd looks bringing a parachute on a sub).
I saw a picture in another thread where there was acres upon acres of open land in every direction and began to wonder how large the landing areas are at most DZ's and what you have for outs.

Here's my DZ
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/Skyjeeper/Random%20stuff/capturedata1315377.png

The arrow is the trailers and runway is 2700ft long.
and the area across the street from the school at the end of the runway is a cemetary, so that's not a good out.

Post a pic of yours

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

Area wise, my home DZ is massive! (Apparently the biggest landing area in Europe)

And to be honest, you could probably get out anywhere in at least a 10 mile radius of the DZ and be confident of looking down on mostly just open farmland, barring the odd small village or artillery range (and those are usually quiet during the weekends:P)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hey,

Cessna DZ from 10,000 ft. You can land nearly anywhere, there are some fences around but you can generally see where they run once you get a bit lower. There have been landing in the schools in town, or on the highway, or the opposite side of the airport. It's a long walk back across the airport.

There's some blue stuff they tell me it's not good to land in...can't figure out why.

I love my home DZ! Go Mile High!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Spaceland is 130 acres. Good outs except for West (Left) which is a swampy area with briars and trees.

Google Earth image was taken before runway and taxiways were paved. Otter is on taxiway and Cessna is on hanger pad in shadow.

Swoop pond, swimming pond, muddy pond and both DZ RV parks are visable.

Blue skies,

Jim

I wouldn't really call it a big DZ, but an open one, we have 850 acres of open airport property area and miles and miles of open fields for off airport outs, with no farmer Mcnasty's in sight, and little airport traffic.
Attached photos in order:
1. From 30 grand (appx give or take a few)
2. Outlined appx 10k anything in the green is good to go.

These three images show close up views outlined.
3. Close up looking southwest, inside red line NO GO.
4. Close up looking south.
5. Close up viewing north.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Our main landing area is not huge, but it is in the middle of 195 acres of peanuts or wheat (depending on the season) and that is in the middle of farm country so outs are aboundant. 1 super otter and 1 182. Almost no air traffic and all the locals are real friendly.

OH, and did I mention that we are open all year round.B|

Strato, just so you know, every time you post a big jpg (view north) with great scenery like that, I am taking that shit and storing it for windows backgrounds. Sorry, just had to get that off my conscience. You take great pics.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I like Northwest Skydivers in Mt, Vernon WA

Airplane is a turbine Porter, limited to 8 jumpers.

The Google Earth image pre-dates the DZ.

The landing area is highlighted in yellow; planes now park exclusively in the taxiway on the north side of the hanger.

Tents have been added for packing & spectators along with a semi-trailer for manifest.

Do not land on the highway to the east, grass runway or train tracks to the west, farm to the south, or taxi-way and apple orchard to the north.

Pic one is a close up of the DZ, Pic 2 is an arial shot of the whole DZ
We run a Caravan and 182, all surrounding area is farmland, mostly wheat or Canola (Rapeseed). Top of the image is due NorthWest
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?