2shay

marketing the sport

lets say we walk up to 10 people and ask where the place is to go make a skydive. Safely i think that about 70% or more would have no fricken clue. people need to at least know that the product is there and available in order for the to consume it, simple economics. I have seen a few things that will probably never make sense to me i know im not the first or last to say this but how is it that some areas w hardly any people to draw from run multi small palnes to turbines and then others w large numbers of people to draw from have a 182 dz or no turbine. I belive it is, #1 marketing and #2 if we want prices to stay resonable we are going to have to turn a lot of dzs into clubs or partnerships w other businesses who may be looking for tax write offs. the exception in my mind is bill dause owner of parachute center in Lodi, CA keeps really low prices i think mostly because of volume, obviously its northern california but i think that there could be a happy medium all over the U.S.

know i will piss people off w this thread but would love to hear peoples answers, excuses and justifications.:ph34r:
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Good points. There are a few operatiors that run their DZ operation like a business. There are a larger number that run there DZ operation like a DZ operation, and there are quite a few that run their operation like a small niche extreme sport service provider.

There is no single explanation for this because of the numbers involved but here are a few points.

1. The individualistic nature of many of the operators is not in line with general expansion of the sport. They don't work together to increase their overall client pool but instead focus on what they do at their shop. Competition comes into play, but not really all that significantly except in a few instances. In these instances competitiion usually develops over a dispute rather than a genuine fight for a limited customer base. They do not pool resources and they do not pool advertising and marketing.

An example of this is my home area - Orlando. In Florida it is a medium population area with an extremely large base of tourists. There are five "Principal" DZ's that all do a relatively stable business, each with its own niche draw. Up the road in Jacksonville, an area with a much larger population but lower tourist base the operators run pistons. In between the two areas is what could be classed as a "local" that runs a turbine and attracts many of the skydivers that are regional.

If these operators would coordinate their marketing and product base along with even a minimal communication network focused on market expansion mprovements could be made to their bottom lines overall.

2. It's not just "A" business it is several. A DZ can consist of a rigging business, a charter airline business, a skydiving business, a skydivng school, and maybe even a food service plus other stufr. Sometimes each business is not financially tied to the other. Coordination becomes an issue with the DZO typically ending up a a value without pay provider,

If you wanted to see what you describe my guess is it would take a buyout of several DZ's in a local area with an existing business that is healthy and a commercialization along the lines of a service provider or franchise model.

Before anyone starts ranting about Skyride keep in mind that they just add to the existing mix - a booking agency if you will.

Finally, ponder why Scuba Diving is common and comparitively large compared to skydiving. The mental exercise in that may give you pause for consideration. My thought ran to an opinion that scuba divers loved it and wanted everyone to do it to experience their love of the sport. Skydivers love it and want to do it more.

Of course I could wrong. ;)

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

To me, this doesn't seem like rocket science. If you are in the sport to make money, you won't be in the sport for very long. I jump at a Club DZ, and because of that, we can keep our prices low for both students and Experienced skydivers while having a well maintained workhorse and good student gear. It takes a lot to run a club (just ask Ifallfast) but it is manageable with a core group of jumpers who are active in the sport. By active, I mean those jumpers who help the club out, show up early, help mow the lawn, go pick up the pilot on ferry loads, et cetera.
=========Shaun ==========

A DZ without upjumpers is like a man without a penis. Useless!

I'm always stunned when I hear the stories of DZOs chasing off Upjumpers (even when I go to other DZs, I've been made to feel like just a hunk of meat filling a slot).

Maybe I just appreciate them more because I'm in such a small market. I see what happens to a DZ when there are very few Up jumpers around. If a DZO sleeps in, the operation keeps going. If the upjumpers sleep in, it grinds to a painful halt!
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.