cloud9

The Ball Jump

It looks like a big version of those collapsible ones that if you squash them, they make sort of a big ring. That would be really easy to get out of (provided nothing got snagged on your gear, etc.).

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

The holes are big enough to pitch through (if you're lucky B|)

uh..no, the big concern with hoop dives is having the hoop around when you go to pitch. The ball is one of those things that I think that I will have to do without

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

The ball is made out of a cheap plastic. I don't think getting out of that would pose any real problem at all. The jumper will fall faster than it once his partners let go of it. All the jumper has to do slip through it and break it as he needs to till it floats above him. Track a bit and get clear....worst case scenario. Don't get me wrong, they added an element of danger to the jump, but not a lot. The results were coool as all get out. Nice pics.
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

and JJ is the winner. The ball routine was all done very high, and the joints holding it together could be broken if the jumper couldn't get through one of the holes. This jump was done several times and the jumper always made it out without having to break the ball. Of course the jumper has several thousand jumps and is also a base jumper. The worst part was deploying with the ball. Yes them nuts did deploy with it, and it was an experience. But done in a fairly safe manner, and made for some great video!:D

It must have been a hell of a slow day to go back to 2002 for entertainment. But this was cool. Thanks for digging it up.

I don't know why so many were concerned about the deployment. Just throw the pilot chute through one of those holes, and I'm sure everything would work itself out from there. ;)

kevin

Not gonna lie to you . . . I'm at work and I'm kinda chillin.

I think I would probably not venture to do something like this, but I'd love to be on the load and watch first hand as the carnage unfolds !!!:ph34r:
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

It must have been a hell of a slow day to go back to 2002 for entertainment. But this was cool. Thanks for digging it up.

I don't know why so many were concerned about the deployment. Just throw the pilot chute through one of those holes, and I'm sure everything would work itself out from there. ;)

kevin

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm reminded of a jump I made about ten years ago involving a big inner tube and three other jumpers.

Toward the end of the skydive Scary Perry decided to sit in the inner tube - just for something to do beside staying docked on it, I suppose.

In any event, the result was interesting. He wound up dropping into the center of the inner tube such that his face, knees and elbows were at the level of the inner tube, and his butt was protruding out the bottom. All in all, it was an amazingly stable configuration; sort of like big meat-based shuttlecock.

Needless to say, there was no way he could reach his handles and quite what kind of opening might be expected is anyone's guess.

This all occurred as we came up on breakoff altitude, and the other two people docked on the inner tube containing Perry were small women. Thus, I took it upon myself to see what I could do to disentangle him from his unenviable situation.

I was able to muscle Perry and the inner tube into an inverted position and give it a vigorous shake. Luckily enough this served to dislodge him, and the rest of the jump was uneventful.

My biggest regret is that we did not have video.

I know it makes me a wimp, since nobody died or anything, but when people suggest getting entangled in freefall, I tend to back out.

Blue skies,

Winsor

We could have just done a 4 way but then who would be reading about that years later! B|

Well the ball jump is still the coolest jump I've been on. But I should tell you all we nearly lost one of our guys doing this. It was quite awhile after I posted the pics.
One of the jumpers would deploy holding the ball so as not to loose it. Well one of them deployed and his bag hit the ball the lines went all slack and wrapped around him. So he had lines wrapped around him the ball a bag lock and he couldn't reach his cutaway handle. At about 1000 ft he deployed his reserve into the mess and it opened. He landed safe and that was the end of the ball jumps. So if your going to do it. Don't deploy holding the ball!
So have fun kiddies but be safe

I knew it was too good to be true. The pic showing the guy inside the ball seems scarier to me though. Just the thought of being trapped inside creeps me out. I know you said it breaks easy, but still.

I think I'll keep my next goal at pontoon jumping. The ball jump will just have to wait. (LONG TIME);)
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.