Thomsen91

When did you stop being nervous?

Hi, I have jumped two times and I was nervous as hell, my instructors told me that it would take about 10 jumps to get over that feeling. So I was wondering how many jumps it took you.
I would also like to know how old you were when you started skydiving?(I am/was 15 years old)
Do it if you dare
Leaping from the sky
Hurling thru the air
Exhilarating high
See the earth below
Soon to make a crater
Blue sky, black death

(for me) It never goes away... just changes.

First you're nervous about jumping (T'aint natural, after all), Then you're nervous not to mess up a dive, or ruin it for your mates etc...

It's a feeling of freedom, being alive - it feels GREEEAT.

Good luck and have loads of [safe] fun

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The basic fear of jumping can take a few jumps or a hundred jumps to get rid of. During my student training in 1980 I would just about turn around on the 40 min drive to the DZ. I'd force myself to go ahead and get there. After that first jump of the weekend I'd say to myself. Oh yeah, that's why I do it! But it took over a hundred jumps to get comfortable, especially with that first jump of the weekend. Your milage may vary.

Fear of falling is instinctive. One of the challanges and rewards of skydiving is overcoming that fear.

Later there is fear of new gear, fear of jumping new places, fear of doing new things, but once you over come the basic fear it's all good.

And we didnt' have AAD's back then. On other aspect was that once you jumped, you were going die unless you did something. Few other situations in life are so certain. Using an AAD, and I do most of the time (but will jump without one), changes the mental aspects of skydiving somewhat.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

A very wise and experienced skydiver once told me that he would quit the sport if there was ever a jump that he wasn't at all nervous about. His argument was that when you stop being scared you’re more likely to become complacent, and complacency invites bad things to happen.

That said, it took me about 25 jumps before I stopped being absolutely terrified, about 100 before I was at least somewhat comfortable in the door, and at 200 (still not a whole lot of experience) I’m mostly feeling performance anxiety, hoping I don’t screw up the skydive for other people. Of course, I still have a healthy fear of, and respect for Mother Earth, and I know I have a long way to go. Every jump can have one or more “surprises” in store for you. Additionally, continuing to try more challenging skydives to improve my skills means that I’ll probably never be totally comfortable.

Also, try asking some instructors you know whether or not they were nervous as hell on their first few jumps with students. They probably have some interesting insight.

You will find that your level of anxiety goes down as you learn more about your gear, gain experience, and gain confidence in your own skills. Good luck, stay safe, and don’t stop learning.

It never left. I was truly nervous and scared of dying on my first tandem jump. On that jump I was also scared of not getting everything right and having my TI disapprove.

In AFF I was nervous that I wouldn't completely nail my TLO's, and I was nervous that I might prove to be a clueless sky diver. I wanted to be the star student and do exceptionally well.

Now I sometimes get nervous that I will hose the dive, or I will forget my slot.

I am sure it will never leave, but I wish I could pick something else to get nervous about, because it doesn't help with the mind lock at all.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was scared all thorugh AFF but nearly let it manifest into terror on the walk to jump 6. Turned around and started to make an excuse to my AFFI before he said "Nope your fine" and put a firm hand on my shoulder leading me to the plane.

After that i was scared but enjoying it, then jump 50 i found myself alone in the back of a skyvan thinking "why the fuck am i doing this?!" and exited.

I dont know if its the same for everyone but from people i've spoke to it seems most experience it from time to time.

If im not scared there is something very wrong and more importantly it can lead to complacency.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Thank you for the posts, it made me look at it from a new perspective.
I just hope that the fear of exiting the aircraft will fade away soon. I was the last person out when I did my first jump and looking at those 8 people( including my older brother) jumping out the door before me and just disappearing almost made me petrified when my instructor waved his hand, saying your next. I don't remember much of the actual jump, only that I loved it.
Do it if you dare
Leaping from the sky
Hurling thru the air
Exhilarating high
See the earth below
Soon to make a crater
Blue sky, black death

As has been said you should be somewhat nervous throughout your skydiving career, It helps to keep you toes. With that being said that terrified feeling will go away, but how long just depends on the person. When I was on on the plane for my AFF level 6 I remember being so scared I said to myself "This is so stupid. Why are you doing this. When I get down from this I am never going to do this again." I had a great jump and after that I haven't been terrified like that again. Good luck

When did you stop being nervous?

God, I hope never. I kinda like the tingly feeling just before the door opens and the sense of calm when it does.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

God, I hope never. I kinda like the tingly feeling just before the door opens and the sense of calm when it does.

Perfectly put, I agree completely!!

When you aren't at least a little nervous, it's easy to get lazy and complacent and make mistakes and shortcuts (skipping gear checks, etc).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I am 51 years old. I did my first jump, a tandem, end of October, 2006. I should get my A next weekend. I get a little nervous each time. That is part of the appeal for me I think. Each time the 'nervousness' is a little different. On the first AFF dives with instructors, I was nervous about doing all of the things I needed and doing them right. On my first few solo jumps, I was nervous about jumping on my own. On my first hop n pop from 5,500, I was nervous about getting out and pulling stable. On my hop n pop from 3,500 I was double nervous, because of the 3,500 exit and because I did my first pack unassisted. That last was my most rewarding jump so far. I was out stable, missed the handle on first try and when I pulled on the second reach, I pulled and rolled over to my back on the left. I was able to roll over no problem and got a really good opening. Talk about a confidence builder!
I have one last coached jump, the check dive and the written test left. I am sure I will be nervous about all of those. Once I pass them and get my A, I look forward to being nervous about jumping with others. After that, I have being nervous about jumping with my own rig.
I hope I never stop being nervous!
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

i'm always really calm on the ride up (took me about 25 jumps for that to set in) but when we all start putting helmets on and getting pre-jump gear checks thats when my heart starts racing... then the door opens and it starts racing even more... then you set up for exit with some of your friends and just let go and all the fear just leaves and turns into peace and fun. thats how it is for me atleast. skydiving is one of the few things i have that just let me let go of everything for a while and enjoy life

I know a lot of people won't believe this, but I was only *scared* on one jump. Oddly enough, it was the 15th!! It's the first time I actually looked down!

Don't get me wrong.. I feel anxious.. And I this as is the case with most people, that anxiety has changed over time.. First it was the not knowing.. Then it was that I'd fuck up and have to re-do the very expensive AFF jumps (which I did).. Then it was that I'd fuck up the exit and/or dive (which I also did).. This turned into frustration when I couldn't get something right.. Then anxiety because you haven't jumped in a while..

I don't think I would jump if I were genuinely scared, though I do have a healthy respect for how things can go wrong..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

First jump, age 17, 1974. Each jump got easier and easier, until, somewhere after 20 jumps and student signoff, the butterflies just went away and never came back. I tell students that before it happens, you can't believe skydiving will ever feel normal. After it happens, you can't believe it ever made you nervous.

You'll still get anxiety from time to time on higher pressure jumps, but that will be from wanting to fly well and not screw up the jump for others. It's great when you really feel at home in the air.B|

Never... no matter what people would like to believe, this stuff is dangerous.. be nervous, be careful, pay attention... familiarity breeds contempt... when you start taking things for granted, that's when bad things happen... be cautious but don't let it stop you from having fun.

Tom
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

Stay nervous.

Make it 'work' for you. There is good worry and bad worry. Make it good.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

I would have to say that I was nervous enough that I was hoping that I would not be able to jump the day I took my AFF 1 course. Which was just last week. The winds were too high and I had to come back the next day. So Sunday I showed up to jump and did not feel as nervous. Things went really well. Then I went out yesterday and was not able to jump because of the winds again. But I really wanted to jump. The ride to the dropzone is the worst. I wish I could go to sleep on the way there. One time I almost did turn around. But I would have to say that seeing my instructors out there yesterday and hearing them say that they could be there for me my second jump is reasurring. They saw my video from the first jump and said I did a great job. So for me, I get really nervous on the way out there but things calm down when training starts. I hope it never goes away but hope it gets easier. I am most afraid of screwing up.

It is never 100% gone with me but it is usually minimal. Up here in frozen Canada I tend to take winters off so the first jump of the spring brings the nervousness back in full force.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

During my first jump, I wasn't ever nervous, just determined to achieve a dream of a life time. Starting on my 2nd jump, though, pure terror set it. The "terror" subsided for me after just a few more jumps, though I would say that I was still nervous on most of my jumps till around 50. I had my 1st reserve ride at 55 and my 2nd at 65. After that I knew that I could and would handle emergencies just as I was trained. The only other jump that has actually scared me was my 4th reserve ride. I was on my back with a spinning malfunction when I realized that I had no idea what altitude I was at. I immediately reached for my cutaway.

I still get the "heebie jeebies" occasionally and have learned to respect the feeling. The last time I forced myself to jump anyway, I injured myself slightly.

At times when I thought that I would have been nervous, I wasn't. When I came back to the sport after a long layoff, the door opened, I climbed out and jumped. Wasn't even a fleeting moment of nervousness.

Shropshire is right..... I'll be honest with you, Once I leave the plane I'm fine. I am completely calm and having fun. For some reason, I've NEVER got over the plane ride up to altitude and I have no idea why. I guess it's the anticipation or something but everytime Im going up to jump run, I keep thinking about how many times I checked my gear, etc......;)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Hi,

You people are just getting me turned on to doing another skydive! My first was a static line jump - back in 2005. I didnt have any memory of the 'chute opening at the time. It was funny - I had a one way radio and I was shouting "what should I do - what should I pull".

It is quite funny that a bull rider put me off saying bull riding is more safe - after a double malfunction! lol.

Never... no matter what people would like to believe, this stuff is dangerous.. be nervous, be careful, pay attention... familiarity breeds contempt... when you start taking things for granted, that's when bad things happen... be cautious but don't let it stop you from having fun.

Well thanks, but look at my profile. Do you think airline captains are nervous when they fly? I sure as hell hope not. I work in a safety related field during the week. My nervous coworkers, and I do have them, are not the best in our line of work. The confident, calm ones are.

I never said I didn't pay attention or wasn't careful. I think about what I'm doing up there and try to manage the risks as well as I can. I don't 270, I don't pull low and I'm totally dialed in on my EP's, which I've had to use over a dozen times. Maybe that's part of the reason why I'm not nervous. Can I still get killed skydiving? Sure, but I think my odds are better than many. At least I've always done up my chest strap properly, unlike 2 folks I've caught on jump run.:S

Once I had to take 3-4 months off for family reasons. I was really looking forward to being "scared" again. It is a nice little buzz, isn't it? But I got an the plane and as I climbed to altitude, all I felt was at home. :)

I don't believe that being nervous and/or scared is nescessary to make you more careful and cautious... and protect your from the dangers of this sport...

Altought I *DO* believe that for alot of people it may have that effect I know that there ARE skydivers out there that are always careful no matter what their personal state of mind is...

To make an analogy: Are you afraid of driving your car (seriously) ? Do you think that being afraid would make you a safer driver? It probably will for alot of people, but I can honestly say I ALWAYS try to be a safe driver just because I care for my life (and that of others) I'm not afraid though...

'bout the skydiving; yeah i'm nervous (and a little afraid). Especially on the first jump of the day. But on the ride up, when looking out the door I get this intense feeling of 'BRIING IT ON BABY!!!!!' At first the height feels weird, but it becomes playground

And when hanging under my wing I have an intense feeling of gratification.

:)