aloneinthesky

questions about adrenaline

i was at the bank the other day and one of the tellers told me that everytime your adrenaline rushes it takes 2-5 minutes off your life. i told her that was hard to believe and she came back with "im a pre-med major". Has anyone ever heard this? its hard for me to fully believe that. does anyone else believe that

i was at the bank the other day and one of the tellers told me that everytime your adrenaline rushes it takes 2-5 minutes off your life. i told her that was hard to believe and she came back with "im a pre-med major". Has anyone ever heard this? its hard for me to fully believe that. does anyone else believe that

How would that even be something that is knowable?

Think about it.

Now, if this was a "friend" of yours, I'd start berating their mental capacities when it came to things like logic, but since it was an "im a pre-med major" bank teller . . . well, you're just going to have to shake your head and hope she doesn't believe crap like that after she's "pre-med".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

it takes 2-5 minutes off your life.

even if it were so.. do the math...

the anti smoking lobby once put out that every cigarette took 7 minutes off your life.. then some marketing genius actually "did the math" and suddenly that sad attempt at 'this is BAAAD M'kay' vanished...

Really don't give a shit. I want to go out like or Johnny Gates. 69 years old, tracking away from a great dive on the sunset load. I do believe God was paying homage on that one himself.

If I can't go out that way... I hope it's what's behind door number 2 - two blondes giving me the BJ sandwich in a Ferrari at 200 mph going over a cliff. Hate fucking up a perfectly good Ferrari though.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Even if it shortens the lifespan it takes off the worst part of your life... the end
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

... two blondes giving me the BJ sandwich in a Ferrari at 200 mph going over a cliff. ....

I'm sure the blondes would be honored to go out that way too. ;)

she came back with "im a pre-med major".

pre-meds aren't doctors, I'd estimate at least half of them never get to be doctors, mostly they get off on the prestige of telling people they will be doctors.

Tell her to get back to you in 8 years when she actually unlearns and relearns all she knows.

Fucking moron.

I'd rather "lose a few minutes" than have it not go and me not be alert enough to handle the fucking situation.

Thank you for posting this and making me audibly laugh.

... two blondes giving me the BJ sandwich in a Ferrari at 200 mph going over a cliff. ....

I'm sure the blondes would be honored to go out that way too. ;)

Base rigs for the blondes, their talent may still be needed elsewere.

I asked my hommie, a MD/PhD student (4th year in a combo program) - (he has two tamdems and one bunggie) old freshman year roomate-

he thinks jumping is healthy in terms of the adrenaline, and that as long as your earning your rush in a safe moderated manner that you are more healthy for it.

my dad has the "if you are gonna eat like a caveman, live like one" so he defends eating meat, buy runing and trying to experience "leg-wetters" on a regular basis

of course on TV they have that cheesy wieght loss pill which claims that stress causes fat-gain,

but I always find in easy to stay fit when jumping, my hippy theory is the energy, stirs up the body, and when combined with, Gyrotonic(R) or rock climbing you are really set.

pre-meds aren't doctors, I'd estimate at least half of them never get to be doctors, mostly they get off on the prestige of telling people they will be doctors.

And what do you wanna bet they have a website like DZ.com where the newbs can exchange poor advice? ;)

Seriously, it sounds like another rationalization: "This is why you shouldn't do any thing even remotely risky - even if it doesn't kill you, it's still gonna kil you!"

I am now rationalizing not becoming a pre-med student.
T.I.N.S.

...it sounds like another rationalization: "This is why you shouldn't do any thing even remotely risky - even if it doesn't kill you, it's still gonna kil you!"

Yes. Now they can not only avoid something that may be "dangerous", but also avoid anything that may be exciting, and therefore dangerous.

I think that each jump is easily worth several days of golf-playing, and possibly years worth of couch-sitting.

I think that CRW jumps can actually extend your life. Sometimes terrifying things happen that cause your life to flash before your eyes - that's like getting extra days !! Then you're actually gaining time. ;)

Kevin

If you go by the limited-number-of-heart-contractions theory, it probably has some validity. Slowing your metabolism is about the only way we know to reliably extend your lifetime; restricting caloric intake can accomplish this, and does extend lifetime in rats and mice. Increasing your metabolism (as happens during high stress events) could be reasonably expected to decrease lifespan somewhat.

The question of whether it's worth it is, of course, a completely different question.

Great topic, I just had adrenergic drugs last friday in Pharm, so here a few adverse effects of epinephrine (aka adrenaline)

*Central Nervous System - Cerebral hemorrhage - i.e., stroke (from marked elevation in blood pressure), anxiety, tremors, fear, headache, tension, etc..
*Cardiovascular - Hypertension(see above), ventricular arrhytmia, tachycadia (sinus), anginal pain, palpitations, etc...
*Lungs - Pulmonary edema

Thats all I remember, need to go study... but procrastination is so gooood

so it could end your life or debilitate you if you're in the habit of getting shots of epi. , but not from endogeneous production.

Your friend is sorta kinda right, in a completely clueless wrong way. :P
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

lol some of you attacked me in your reply, your igorant, i was simply asking what anyone had to say about the silly ching chong <__> bank lady who shorted me 1 dollar.

It's spelled "You're ignorant". And the word is i-r-o-n-y.

~ Lara (aka just another silly <__>)
Blue Skies Mag

some of you attacked me in your reply, your igorant, i was simply asking what anyone had to say about the silly ching chong <__> bank lady who shorted me 1 dollar.

I read through this whole thread - who attacked you, and how?

"silly ching chong lady" - Are you serious with this? I'm not Asian but I'm pretty sure that's offensive.
T.I.N.S.