salami88

Dropzones that allow 16 year olds

Hiding it from the business is just an asshole thing to do. I'd expect that from a kid, but not to have an experienced jumper recommend it. The DZOs should be able to choose if they let a 17 year old jump, not have it 'snuck' past them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

now youre being "pissy". my bet is the majority of the DZs dont want to know....just give em the money.
Do you pay dues to a club to be so holier than thou ?.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

(I wasn't calling you pissy, I was calling a tandem skydive a pissy reason for putting a DZO in legal harm's way)

If the DZs don't care, just tell them the kid's under 18 and let them decide. What is so hard about that? Then they can take the money, do the jump and I've done my duty.

I've been in the sport only 20 years, but we've likely had the same experience - Little DZs, the DZOs were good friends, etc.

I wouldn't want some underage puke coming to my DZ, lying about his age, then having him put my friend's DZ out of business with a law suit. And if one of the regular skydivers was responsible for telling the little puke to lie about his age, then he'd be on my shit list and likely everyone else's too.

not pissy, not holier than thou - it's just the way it is. My loyalty in this sport is to my friends and fellow jumpers, not some kid that wants to make a jump and is too lazy to go find a DZ that'll accommodate him.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(I wasn't calling you pissy, I was calling a tandem skydive a pissy reason for putting a DZO in legal harm's way)

If the DZs don't care, just tell them the kid's under 18 and let them decide. What is so hard about that? Then they can take the money, do the jump and I've done my duty.
----------------------------------------------------------
I gave up my tandem rating when I hit 1000 tandems.
We used to do Japanese tourists all week . I had no clue, nor did the DZO, how old these people were. It happens...its gonna happen and you and I trying to split hairs over the issue is pointless.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

It has been mentioned how other sports seem to exist just fine in the USA with kids involved, but with the counter argument that skydiving is different in terms of actual risk of death, rather than just injury.

But even compared to other forms of aviation, skydiving is more restrictive. Teens can solo a powered airplane at 16 (with instructor supervision), and get their full private license at 17. Or solo a glider at 14, with licence at 16. [USA & Canada numbers]

(I often heard tales of how some airline pilot's son or daughter soloed a dozen different types of aircraft on their 16th birthday.)

At first glance, businesses teaching people to fly seem to have no more problem with liability with minors than with any other newbie.

...its gonna happen and you and I trying to split hairs over the issue is pointless.

:D:D:D I thought we were going to fix the world with this thread.

Agree, it is going to happen. But I don't think I'd ever actively participate in frauding of my friends.

I have seen waivers ("waivers" - :S) that have a place to confirm legal age. FWIW

blues

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I echo Chuck's analysis - let's keep the thread on track with the original subject and free from personal disagreements (use PMs) or Bonfire-esque one-liners.

If you want to spin up the debate over underage tandem students, here is a thread in which you can do so:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1170233;search_string=underage%20tandems;#1170233
Arrive Safely

John