thedarkside

Tandems, Hurting or helping membership?

Obviously the 1st timer has to be someone who is genuinely interested in the sport in the first place, not just reacting to peer pressure. Beyond that, they need to have the financial means to pursue the sport...lets face it, it is expensive. After that, the tandem instructor has a great deal of influence on a 1st timer continuing to pursue the sport. How they relate to the passenger, how well they explain the event about to take place. All of this builds confidence in the mind of the passenger and can relieve their anxiety. I was fortunate to have an instructor some of you may have heard of as my instructor...Jay Stokes. He took the time to get to know me a little, why was I doing this, how I was feeling, and then thoroughly explained the equipment, what the experience would be like, the safety factors built into the sport, what he would be doing, what I should expect at each point of the dive. After that 1st jump, I signed up for another tandem 2 weeks later and requested Jay as the instructor. He remembered me, recalled the dive and how it had gone. He explained the sport in depth and discussed what to expect if I continued on. Because of his enthusiasm and the level of confidence I had gained in him in a short period of time I signed up for AFF training and requested Jay as my instructor. The speed at which I progressed and obtained my license is a testament to his teaching abilities.

So, to answer the question...The right tandem INSTRUCTOR helps the sport immensely - consequently, the wrong instructor could also hurt it. For all you tandem instructors out there, emulate Jay and the sport will grow.

This is something that I started thinking about a couple weeks ago and I wanted to hear what other people thought.

I feel that with Tandem it is introducing more people to the sport. Skydiving is now in the reach of a larger audience. The only problem is that I think less and less people are wanting to go through the AFF program and would just rather do a tandem. Do you think that is one of the reasons membership is going down? It almost seems to be a double edge sword.

Let me know what you think!

I am basing this off of my own personal experience but, I fele it is helping. I made my frist tandem and immediately signed up for the AFF first jump course the following week.

In my opinion, the ones who do the tandems and nothing more...do not have the desire to get licensed anyway. I, on the other hand..wanted to know everything there was to know about skydiving. It was an instant addiction and still is. I believe that if a person has it in their heart and mind to get licensed...they will find a way to. A tandem jump is a way of testing the waters.

I think that tandems are the best way to bring new people into the sport. As a member of a college club it is best way to bring people in to the fold safely. It sounds like you need better load management. Better luck in the future.:)

You are right! Thank you! I would love to see all those pretty TM student girls doing RW with us ;)

Good jump!
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

Tandem is simply a tool. Is is what people make of it...nothing more...nothing less. I does allow almost anyone to make a jump, so the number of people available make that first jump is now nearly limitless. However, the number of people who remain in the sport is entirely dependent on how we treat tandem students. In other words, it's up to each and every one of you.

Be happy that we now have turbine aircraft, and beautiful drop zones to jump at. The money to fund these nice things came, in a large part, from tandem students. But also see what you can do to make these people feel welcome. Make them want to come back. Look at tandem as a gift, and don't blow it.

I don't really think the question is why membership is decreasing. There was a huge surge in students through the 90's for whatever reason. It was a different time. 'Extreme' sports were the 'in' thing. Everyone wanted to be 'crazy'. Maybe the fad is over. Now we're into ipods and video games. Perhaps the growth is simply returning to where it once was.

I don't know why we feel the need to get everyone involved in the sport. I don't know why we feel the urge to visit those big beautiful drop zones. I actually like spotting.
I'll jump with people who haven't been told over and over how safe the sport. Those who don't use that idiotic "safer than driving" line when trying to convince others to jump.

I've made my share of money taking pictures of tandems. The idea of tandem probably started out with the best intentions. What it's become is fairly weak. I think it was said here before. It should be used as a tool....not a carnival ride. But I understand, the dollar is a strong pull.

Vent done.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."