Andy_Copland

Baglock (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddYYoHhzjA

I dont know what to make of this, is he fully aware he has altitude and pulling on risers hoping to get it open? It almost looks like hes having fun.

Edit: I keep watching this, his container is open on exit...wtf?! Im almost thinking its staged but i dont see a 2nd reserve

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I dont know what to make of this, is he fully aware he has altitude and pulling on risers hoping to get it open? It almost looks like hes having fun.

Edit: I keep watching this, his container is open on exit...wtf?! Im almost thinking its staged but i dont see a 2nd reserve

I think that my natural reaction would have been to do what that guy did... and then give the camera man a really hard time about not getting the fuck away from me. it looked to me like the dude was not an experienced freeflier and was strugling to keep stable in a semi vertical situation (notice he's arching). If he had an RSL and he dumped right there - that camera guy could have been toast.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Good find. It's certainly not staged but it is a very well-shot example of a horseshoe turned baglock. Also note the freefall speed... the baglocked individual stays at nearly the same fallrate of the camera operator... baglock will stand you up but won't slow you down.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

With added drag of the pilot chute in a baglock i can easily see how it could stand you up, i have seen video of that.

I wonder if he pitched and it cleared...

Edit: sorry, see the PC go. No clear.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

that's very possible. I've cleared a bag lock malfunction by yanking down on the risers. Given the available altitude in the same situation, I would try to clear it again. Two tries and then it's chopped.

Excellent video of reasons why you should get pin checks and protect your pin in the plane.

I like how the video guy just stayed right over the dude with the open container waiting for a pilot chute in the face.

And then how he flew in to try to get his ringsight tangled in the mess. Awesome.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I think the camera man probably didn't notice the open container. When the bag came up he got under it pretty soon. But was ready to catch the guy when he cutaway. Stayed way to long no matter what.

What I like is the teammates trying to do RW with guy vertical.B| Until they saw it.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Doesn't one get a massive slammer if it opens when you clear the baglock? I think I would have done the same what he did btw, try and clear it.

If someone has it as a downloadable file, let me know.

PM sent.

If I can download it from YouTube, clue me in please.

I've had fairly decent luck using the UnPlug plugin for Firefox. UnPlug also works for many other sites that try to force you to use a plug-in to play sound and video clips.

YouTube videos tend to be in Flash Video format with an .flv file extension. The UnPlug FAQ has a couple of suggestions for viewing Flash Video files. You can use MediaCoder to translate Flash Video into something useful like MPEG. MediaCoder also has a small player built in (on the "preview" tab) that can play Flash Video files.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Doesn't one get a massive slammer if it opens when you clear the baglock? I think I would have done the same what he did btw, try and clear it.

I can't access youtube from work, so I haven't seen the video yet. But the canopy should still have a staged deployment once it comes out of the bag. It might be a little rough due to line twists, but in theory it shouldn't open any harder.

When I cleared my baglock, it didn't open any harder than any other terminal deployment.

I did have a shit-ton of line twists though... good thing I was still at 6k when the baglock cleared.

That's a great video example of what happens when one has an out-of-sequence deployment with a BOC. If someone has it as a downloadable file, let me know. If I can download it from YouTube, clue me in please.

Use Firefox, get the VideoDownloader plugin, download vid using icon on statusbar, rename downloaded file to .flv, view in flv player (download link is given by the plugin).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Did this most likely occur because of a broken closing loop, dislodged pin, or a bridle caught on a door frame, or what? Can anyone tell what the brand of container is?

When I watched it the 1st time, I thought it was staged and that one of the other guys deployed his PC for him, but like someone already said, his main flaps were open and loose from the beginning. It appears one of the guys tries, only for a second, to extract his PC for him after seeing the bag come out, but I'm not sure.

I know I'm not qualified to speculate here, but it appears this might be the reason my instructors have told me to watch how I move about the plane. Pretty freakin' scary. I hope I look that graceful if I ever have that mal.
T.I.N.S.