briangilbertson

Has anyone done tandem out of a Helicopter?

The opportunity is available this weekend in Minnesota and I want to encourage my friends to do this "once in a lifetime opportunity"

I remember when I did my heli jump at Z-hills that the pilot was concerned about our "jumping" and emphasized that he wanted us to just fall back instead. I also have no idea how you attach harnesses in the restricted space that a helicopter would present, especially with such a large rig on your back.

This would be the first time doing a tandem-jump from a helicopter for this tandem-master & I've heard that he's bringing an experienced jumper down first with him.

Has anyone in here done tandems from a helicopter? What challenges does this present?

It's not the challenges of doing a tandem out of a helicopter that would scare me....it's who the TM is that would:D:D:D;)

Just Kidding Joe! (Not really, but sort of, maybe;))

I've got several friends that want to do tandems, but I don't want their first experience to be in the middle of a Minnesota January. I jump all winter long and even I admit that's a little crazy.

Hope to see/meet more of the Baldwin/Hutch/Waseca divers this Saturday!

Helicopters were not built specifically to go to altitude, but if they can, then cool... but I would think that opportunities to jump one from that high are rare, very rare...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

hey don't get me started or I will ban you to the side lines and all you will be able to do is watch. oh yeah, any public forms of oral will be done on the organizer:ph34r:;):D

Todd's organizing?:o He didn't tell me that.;)

I'm very much looking forward to this weekend!!!!

Not liking the weather report though...20% chance of snow. The highs range from 18-24F (depending on the source) with a "realfeel" high of 1F.

I will be doing my "snow, snow, go away, snow" dance until Saturday.

Hopefully this will be like the other 95% of the weather reports and be wrong.

Not liking the weather report though...20% chance of snow. The highs range from 18-24F (depending on the source) with a "realfeel" high of 1F.

Hopefully this will be like the other 95% of the weather reports and be wrong.

I doubt it is gonna be a wash just cold is all it is gonna be a blast no matter what last year was great this year is looking 2x as big
Westside is the best side!

Helicopters were not built specifically to go to altitude, but if they can, then cool... but I would think that opportunities to jump one from that high are rare, very rare...

I did one some years back in Fla. for an air show promotion type thing.
I took the local sports caster guy, a retired Tampa Bay Buccaneer...and semi-professional asshole.:|

The two of us and a camera man made for slow going and a minimum altitude exit with considerable forward speed for an egg beater.

Everything went well if you don't count his puking breakfast
in free-fall...B|

I CAN tell ya he puts WAY too much pepper on his scrambled eggs! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well if its snowing..........................We'll have to have.....
.......................SNOW CONES...................................

And

SNOW FLAKES for Miranda...............AND.........

AVALANCHES for Dave cuz its his birthday!!!!!!!!

It'll be fun!!!!!

And Dave, if you don't know what that is..... :o

you'll find out soon....

See ya'll Saturday...

Scooter
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

Well if its snowing..........................We'll have to have.....
.......................SNOW CONES...................................

And

SNOW FLAKES for Miranda...............AND.........

AVALANCHES for Dave cuz its his birthday!!!!!!!!

It'll be fun!!!!!

And Dave, if you don't know what that is..... :o

you'll find out soon....

See ya'll Saturday...

Scooter

you got the keg figured out for DAVE well me since I end up doing it all anyway

Yes. I trained some military PJ's a couple years ago to get tandem ratings. We had to use a BlackHawk. They are qualified at 200 jumps to gat a tandem rating.
After the training was done, they were taking 375lb barrels out the door ;) I posted pics of it on here somewhere.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

whew, this weekend is looking to be rather interesting. See everyone on Saturday!

Back on topic: looks like it has been done before, I would consider telling my friends that want to do a tandem about it if it wasn't the end on Jan :ph34r:
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

whew, this weekend is looking to be rather interesting. See everyone on Saturday!

Back on topic: looks like it has been done before, I would consider telling my friends that want to do a tandem about it if it wasn't the end on Jan :ph34r:

yeah no worries on it being safe here is my info:
I am a USPA TI and AFFI with 3000+ skydives, 2000 of those are tandems, and 850 of them just last season. I have seen a fair bit. In regards to the tandems out of a helicopter, I have had a passenger in the harness hooked up and in the aircraft with the seat belt through the main lift web of the sigma tandem rig. Yes, it is a snug fit but very doable.