jtval

Tension knots

So wasn't the lesson on her jump to ensure that you're slinks can not get tangled with the control lines as well as ensure that the slider grommet either be pulled down all the way on the risers and/or ensure that the grommet is stopped before the slink by using slider stops?

NO. The lesson was "Don't spend the rest of your life trying to solve the malfunction on your main. Be altitude aware and start your reserve drills at your hard deck."

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So wasn't the lesson on her jump to ensure that you're slinks can not get tangled with the control lines as well as ensure that the slider grommet either be pulled down all the way on the risers and/or ensure that the grommet is stopped before the slink by using slider stops?

NO. The lesson was "Don't spend the rest of your life trying to solve the malfunction on your main. Be altitude aware and start your reserve drills at your hard deck."

t

I agree with your statement, but I remember reading that Holly's malfunction (in her particular case) seemed to occur around or below 500ft AGL, which is way below anyone's hard deck (I hope!).

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

My Bad. Sorry.

I've been telling people about this particular risk for some time, but few are prepared to listen. Prevention is always better than cure.

t

Agreed!

thisis why I asked the question. never had to deal with a tension knot. and out of all the shit that can happen this the one I think about least.
My photos

My Videos

t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with your statement, but I remember reading that Holly's malfunction (in her particular case) seemed to occur around or below 500ft AGL, which is way below anyone's hard deck (I hope!).

And if I remeber in Hollys case she could have pulled the other toggle down and not been in a spin...So it applies here as well.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just to add something to the mix, Bill Booth said in a thread in G&R that movies of suspension lines just after the pack opens are really, really scary. It's a thoroughly chaotic-looking situation. So his suggestion to fight that is to stow as much of your lines as you can, to prevent the chaos.

Obviously you have to make sure that you don't wrap your lines tightly around the corner of your pack tray, but I wonder if there are more tension knots when the lines are thinner, or when a larger amount is left unstowed?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I wonder if there are more tension knots when the lines are thinner, or when a larger amount is left unstowed?

My bet would be the thinner lines.

I only use the 2 locking stows on my main but the lines are big old fat braided Dacron.

Can you remember a case of “tension knots” before the wide spread use of Spectra?

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Can you remember a case of “tension knots” before the wide spread use of Spectra?

Come to think of it, no. And there were a lot of free-stowed lines in those days.

However, there wasn't the internet either; if someone had a tension knot in Minnesota, the next DZ over would probably hear about it, and that's it. The conventional wisdom where I was (Texas) included the conclusion that a lineover was probably not possible on a square. We hadn't seen or heard of one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Had it on my BT-40,kevlar lines were a bit fuzzy.
Steering line around the right rear line group,shortening it about 4 inches/10 cm.

Come to think of it, no. And there were a lot of free-stowed lines in those days.

I had over 500 jumps on the old “trash pack” using a CruisAir.

a lineover was probably not possible on a square.

And that was before the wide spread use of “Pro Packing”.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had what I can only assume were tension knots on my AFF level 2. I had a really nasty deployment with multiple line twists, which, after clearing them, left my slider stuck halfway up with the lines twisted around the grommets on one side only. No amount of brake pumping cleared it and I spent a long while wondering if I should cutaway. In the end, I decided that I could turn left, I could turn right and I could flare OK, and the very slight spin was easily compensated for by a small amount of toggle input on the opposite side, so I thought I could land it. Much to my relief, as I turned onto my baseleg at about 800ft, it cleared and the slider came down and I landed fine. Nevertheless, it was slightly worrying for someone so inexperienced and I think I have a good understanding of the way it all works.
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Just to add something to the mix, Bill Booth said in a thread in G&R that movies of suspension lines just after the pack opens are really, really scary. It's a thoroughly chaotic-looking situation. So his suggestion to fight that is to stow as much of your lines as you can, to prevent the chaos.

I could not find this thread in a search...do you happen to have a title or can post the URL? I tend to have a lot of line (28+ inches) between the first stow and the end of the risers.

Thanks in advance!

Jordan82

https://youtu.be/hg5EoCDwhnk

This is what I’m talking about...

Why didn’t he hook knife the affected lines?

https://youtu.be/hg5EoCDwhnk

Because its a lot easier to say than to do.

You may not have a hook knife.

You may not be able to tell which lines to cut?

Jump more, post less!

If you still have 28" of loose lines, try stowing the remaining left line group in a small rubber band on the left side of your d-bag. Same on the right side. Distance - of un-stowed lines- from the d-bag to top of risers should end up the same. As little as 6" of un-stowed lines is okay with this method.

This method works great with static-lines because it lifts risers slightly earlier and slightly reduces the risk of a main riser snagging on the a corner of the reserve container.
Armies tie (80 pound break cord) risers to d-bags for the same reason.