Kynan1

Random Advice Givers...

Perhaps if people heard this girl on her period yapping at me, you'd all understand where I was coming from. I'm usually pretty mellow and take advice well, but its how someone comes across more than anything.
Ok, I'm spent on this topic. Thanks for all your advice on this topic.

:D Wow! So you checked that she's on her period? Or she told you? Yeah...didn't think so. :D

God...I'd love to see Melissa (aka Missy) Nelson talk with him. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I think all jumpers probably drift all over the sky while learning actually, I know I do when I try it on my own (I'm not much of a freeflyer). I think you're much better off with a coach or good freeflyer regardless of jump numbers. But higher jump numbers = more awareness of the fact that you ARE moving, I guess.

Now there's a much more mature approach to the whole problem. Thanks.

--------
Hey asshole! You trying to kill everybody by going head down at 100 jumps?
"FU"

or

You know, learning head down is much safer and much easier to learn if you get someone to do coach jumps with you. Waddaya say we get somebody over here to help you out?
"Uhhh, yeah. OK."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Your right Andy,but judging by the posts I IMO I don't think it really matters.This guy got the attitude that he brought here and then hurt he position more IMO by making comments about this persons menstrual cycle,immature at best.You must remember we are only hearing one side of this and I suspect there is a whole other story.

wow, these threads really look like a cheap bar fight,
and we the people of the forum are not to bright. I personally would like to identify some of ya' by putting you internet handles'on your helmet or jump-suits so I know when to be on the plane or in another county.as far as advice, my best learn always
comes from more exper.jumpers. andwhen the beer
light is ON! I''ll start with my name on my helmet.
you'll know if you want to jump or get off the plane.
wow ok let the basting rebegin. Ducktape.

This post not aimed at ductape but at all of the 100 jump wonders that need to be talked to nice.

I see a pretty wide range of jump numbers and years in sport replying to this thread.So what is your threshhold for listening?One point to be made here is this,Just because someone doesn't say something nice does not necessarily mean you shouldn't listen to them.Some people have run out of patience watching their friends and others get hurt or killed.I for one am getting to that point.Sometimes saying to someone," Hey your being a dickhead and your going to die", is the only way to get it through.Sometimes it's not the morons you are worried about,it's your friends they might take with them.Go right head believing that it's the experienced people that have it out for you and we'll see who lives longer.

every jump should be a learning jump. we will always be students of our sport. trying to learn to quick or not properly takes people out of the sport. my numbers are very low. I have lost a friend in this sport, The worst feeling in the world is telling someone's parents what happen!

Part of the problem is that the targets of this lack of patience don't have that experience, and don't know why you're talking like that. It's kind of like a first-grade teacher getting tired of teaching the same stuff over and over, forgetting that there's a new class of first-graders every year.

We have a new class of newbies every year. A decent percentage of them are going to listen to pretty much anyone who talks to them. Some won't, some will figure it out, and some will be assholes.

But we have to remember that they're part of the new class, and are used to being adults in their own world. FJC doesn't teach you that your opinions no longer matter, and your general ability to figure things out no longer matters. It doesn't even teach you whom to listen to.

All that said, those with more experience have to learn that delivery matters sometimes. While you might reach someone with the "you're going to die asshole" approach, you're going to alienate other people who are approachable by a less confrontational approach.

So if someone is thoroughly blowing you off and safety is involved, then talk to the ASO or DZO or someone whose approach they seem to respect.

If safety isn't involved, then either they'll learn the hard way, or they'll quit, or they'll just move on to some other discipline. In which case, it's harder on them, but, well, it's no longer your problem.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The worst feeling in the world is telling someone's parents what happen!

No, I think the worst feeling would be realizing I caused it because I didn't take the advice of a lot of people.

Of course if they had been nice to me...?

It can be hard not to come off a bit gruff whe you see something you know to be dangerous. Picture a near miss in a parking lot. How calm are you at that moment when someone just exposed you to risk?

I can only fly straight head down on solos. If there are others in the sky they just zoom away....or is that me zooming?:S
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Wow! So you checked that she's on her period? Or she told you? Yeah...didn't think so.

She was staying in the bunkhouse with only one other girl there. Tampon wrapper in garbage can. I'm no detective, but I'm guessing this was part of her cut throat advice giving...ahha
Funny thing is, if I were doing a sit fly, most people wouldn't say much, but a "head down", look out. I have been back sliding a ton on a sit fly, but it's very hard to feel. Doing a head down, while sliding, is much easier to feel. So, you could argue a head down is safer than a sit...for drifting purposes. No doubt, it's faster and easier to lose altitude awareness, just a little important as well.;)

>So, you could argue a head down is safer than a sit...

True in many other areas. I've heard that small canopies are safer than large ones, because you get better penetration, and the flare is better. (As long as you're a natural, of course.) I've also heard it's safer to pull as low as possible - less chance of a collision after opening. No one else opens at 1600 feet! In general, the things skydivers want to do are "safer" than the things they don't want to do, and they often continue to feel that way until they see their first fatality, or have a serious injury or close call that injures someone else. (Or until they themselves die; hopefully most people won't have to pay that steep a tuition to learn about good judgement.)

" Hey your being a dickhead and your going to die", is the only way to get it through.

Do you try nicely first? I always took criticism with the utmost humility because I figured the person doing so was trying to prevent an accident. That said, I think if you start by being abrasive you may cause a receptive student to shut off.

You may have seen a certain error 10000 times and are fed up with it but the guy you are correcting is new and is making it for the first time. If you at least try to treat this person with respect (this does not mean to sugar coat the criticism), he might see you as a valuable source of info and may use you as an example for his own development.

Had a skygod shred me for an honest mistake and I thought I was the dropzone pariah untill one of the instructors came over and told me he does that to everyone, and to take him with a grain of salt. He was quite experienced and I could have developed a tremendous respect for him, but he ruined it by doing that to me (and every other newbie who he felt like flexing his dick on).

Why not give newbies the benefit of the doubt and then if it becomes apparent that they are not heeding your advice then go with the "dickhead" remarks?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

So, you could argue a head down is safer than a sit...for drifting purposes.

When you fly head down, the first thing penetrating the relative air is your head, followed immediately by your torso. If those things aren't straight, generally speaking, your gonna move.

From my limited experience, when you fly head down, it only takes a slight amount of "mis-alignment" at freefall speeds for your body to zoom across the sky.

Your results may vary. B|

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

The reality is that head down is far more dangerous for other skydivers than you appear to believe it is.

It's plenty dangerous, I was just saying how I slide more on a sit than a head down. Plus, it's easier to feel yourself sliding on a head down.

First of all you took that out of context by leaving off the word sometimes.By readding that word you can answer your own question.

Second as stated in a later post I made if there is a dangerous moron that won't listen I turn it over to the S&TA.I simply don't have the patience any more.

First of all you took that out of context by leaving off the word sometimes.By readding that word you can answer your own question.

Right. My error.

Second as stated in a later post I made if there is a dangerous moron that won't listen I turn it over to the S&TA.I simply don't have the patience any more.

Just skimming through and I saw the post. Obviously made the mistake of not following the whole thread through. Anyway, I was not trying to be obnoxious, I was just curious.

Never had too much problem with criticism. I was pretty passive with my progression and kept within the limits that were advised to me by the DZ staff.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I love this quote. This is perhaps the finest example of "I have Mad Skillz, you just don't know". You just don't see good quality like this. :)

Some people can drive 200,000 miles and still suck at driving, others can get behind the wheel and win Nascar.

The only thing that is exasperating about the Scavenger Hunt thread is that it takes 3 years to bite you in the ass.
:D

but listened when people told me I was going to fucking die.

Sorry but people on this forum tell other people that they're going to die a lot. Hopefully you don't listen to everyone who tells you that your going to die... I guess there's good and bad about this website. The good this is you get to express what you really feel because you don't have to come face to face. And the bad thing is you end up bashing people when you wouldn't if you did come face to face.
Na' Cho' Cheese