Brumby

Massive amounts of help needed. PLEASE

Unfortunately, our local DZ is under threat of closure.

I dont know how to add links to the site but as a community i would appreciate so so much if people could visit www.ukskydiver.co.uk and go to forums, select Peterlee and go to Petition.

I know alot of you are not uk skydivers but we dream the same things and love the sky so please help by going to the site and downloading a petition form. E-mail it to [email protected]

If you are willing to help, please do it as soon as possible as the final decission will be made by Tuesday.

Many thanks

Brumby

Unfortunately, our local DZ is under threat of closure... due to construction of AKS wind turbine.

Who is "AKS"?

Is this a government facility, commercial, or private?

How did things get this far along without you having the opportunity to do something about it sooner?

I am here in the United States. How is my signature going to help you in the United Kingdom? I will never vote in your local elections.

You might want to start a grass roots campaign with locals in the area. If you get a bunch of signatures from people who make a difference in elections they will be worth way more than a bunch of signatures from a skydiving website.

Just a thought. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Unfortunately, our local DZ is under threat of closure

Has the BPA been approached to assist on this? Surely that is one of their core functions? (I'm guessing here but allowing DZs to close is not helping to promote the sport!)

Good Luck.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Unfortunately, our local DZ is under threat of closure

Has the BPA been approached to assist on this? Surely that is one of their core functions? (I'm guessing here but allowing DZs to close is not helping to promote the sport!)

Good Luck.

There's a public hearing tomorrow about it, the BPA is involved with it, the chairman (Eddie Jones) is speaking along with other people against the turbine. There are also going to be around 50 or so jumpers going there to support the DZ. From what I understand Peterlee is only asking for the turbine to be moved slightly away so they can keep on training their RAPS (S/L) students.

I have attached another document, if you want more information about this you can check out the Peterlee forum on UKS http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I am here in the United States. How is my signature going to help you in the United Kingdom? I will never vote in your local elections.

You might want to start a grass roots campaign with locals in the area. If you get a bunch of signatures from people who make a difference in elections they will be worth way more than a bunch of signatures from a skydiving website.***

The way i see it, every little helps. I we get objections from people involved in the sport then it may help, it may not but its worth a try!

Awsome!B|

Peterlee PC Defeats Planning Permission for AKS Wind Turbine

Written by Paul McCormick

On the evening of the 6th of February, around 80 skydivers and pilots descended on the offices of Easington District Council for the planning application meeting for a Wind Turbine to be built at the neighbouring AKS factory.

It was standing room only and the most people they have ever had attend a planning meeting.

As previously reported here, the turbine in its proposed location would prevent solo student parachuting in winds from the NE or SW (SW being the prevailing wind) and would ultimately see the demise of the centre.

The local planning officers had recommended that approval be given for the wind turbine and the planning meeting was to allow both sides to state their case, before the locally elected councillors voted. Representatives from different aspects of the airfield made statements including university cubs, the microlight club, pilots, the previous owner, an expert in business our own Stu Fergusson representing the greater skydiving population and UKS, the BPA and STC chairman and finally an impassioned speech from the current owner Ian Rosenvinge. Various objections were made including asking for the turbine to be relocated outside the 1200m requirement from the PLA. Also the case was stated that it would be neigh on impossible to find alternate location for the DZ by John Hillam, who had previous attempted to find a new location for Border after the centre closed. The economics of the proposal was also brought into question as the numbers simply did not add up and also the plans of parent company NKS now concentrating its operations in Poland and the Far East.

On the AKS side represented by TNEI (the turbine contractor) and supported by another local business TWR, who are were watching the outcome as they also wish to site a turbine near the DZ. It certainly seemed strange that no employees appeared to be present at the meeting after AKS claimed this to be such an important decision for their future.

After all the statements for both sides had been made it was down to the councillors to make the very difficult decision. What seemed to sway things in favour of the DZ was when a councillor asked the question if the factory would still be in existence in seven years time (the expected pay back time for the turbine). The answer from AKS wasn’t enough to sway the councillors and there was only one vote in favour of the application.

This is a great victory for the DZ and DZs and airfields throughout the country that are under threat from such developments.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.