WooHoo

What is the highest wingloading?

On a long drive, I asked some pals who jump, did they know anyone who regularly junped at a wingloading of over 2.0

This set off a bit of a debate and one of them reckeoned some folk out there are jumping over 3.0 on a regular basis. So as such rambling conversations go, we didn't establish much, no proofs given. Other than the well known, "My mate knows a guys whose friend......."

So what is the highest wingloading that a jumper is using out there?

For the record, I have no plans to match you, just curious.

If I recall correctly, Luigi already jumped the VX-45 at wingloads in excess of 4.

Just curious, btw: what would be the largest wingload and/or smallest canopy anybody would want to take to terminal?

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

>Luigi already jumped the VX-45 at wingloads in excess of 4.

And Chris Martin jumped a canopy loaded about 8 to 1 (21 sq ft.) But neither of those loadings is a "normal use" canopy.

Around Perris, the upper end seems to be around 2.5 to 1, with a very few people exceeding that during normal skydiving.

If I recall correctly, Luigi already jumped the VX-45 at wingloads in excess of 4.

One of the guys out at SDD used to jump a VX55, and I'm sure he was 220+ otd. As far as I know he never took it to terminal, just hop n pops, but he did jump it regularly.

I seem to remember a guy posting in canopy control who boasted about jumping regularly at 4.0+. He made a big thing about being the first guy to regularly jump that highly loaded. A quick search might bring up those posts.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I seem to remember a guy posting in canopy control who boasted about jumping regularly at 4.0+. He made a big thing about being the first guy to regularly jump that highly loaded. A quick search might bring up those posts.

Yeah, but he's not exactly the best of swoopers or even that good of a canopy pilot. Infact one of the PD factory guys, when he was at his DZ, made the comment "holy shit, is he going to jump again? He is? I've got to watch, he's gonna die."

I jump a wingloading of 2.39:1, Hooknswoop used to regularly jump a VX loaded at 3.1:1 (and he did very well on it). There are quite a few others jumping in the 2.5:1 range.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

One of the guys out at SDD used to jump a VX55, and I'm sure he was 220+ otd. As far as I know he never took it to terminal, just hop n pops, but he did jump it regularly.

You are correct. How is B?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You are correct. How is B?

Last time I saw him he was doing good, although I haven't seen him out at the DZ a whole lot over the past few months.

And Chris Martin jumped a canopy loaded about 8 to 1 (21 sq ft.) But neither of those loadings is a "normal use" canopy.

Did Chris Martin land the canopy?

That just wasn't the right question to ask. :(

Hey, he's new.

Butters, the answer is no.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, but he's not exactly the best of swoopers or even that good of a canopy pilot. Infact one of the PD factory guys, when he was at his DZ, made the comment "holy shit, is he going to jump again? He is? I've got to watch, he's gonna die."

From what I read his ego certainly seemed bullet proof enough:P Anyway, whether he was competent or not, he was jumping it regularly.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That just wasn't the right question to ask. :(

Hey, he's new.

Butters, the answer is no.

I ran a search after reading the first reply and then deleted my post. Sorry. [:/]

IMO no need to be sorry for asking that question.There are new people here all the time that don't know all the old stories.People die doing this shit.

So what is the highest wingloading that a jumper is using out there?

Anywere from about 12 to up in the 90s somewhere...

...before they get out of the plane. :)

OK, it's a totally different game if you get to use aluminum and engines instead of nylon and gravity, but I still think it's interesting to compare aircraft wing loadings with canopy wing loadings:

Cessna 182T: 11.3 empty, 17.8 max takeoff
PAC 750XL: 24.6 (unspecified condition)
DHC-6-300 Twin Otter: 16.6-19.0 empty, 29.8 max takeoff
Douglas DC-9-21: 97.9 max takeoff

(all figures in lb/ft^2)

I don't know what the wing loading of a wingsuit is like, but I'd guess that it's somewhere between most canopies and a 182 - maybe closer to the high end. Say around 8 or so.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I don't know what the wing loading of a wingsuit is like, but I'd guess that it's somewhere between most canopies and a 182 - maybe closer to the high end. Say around 8 or so.

Eule

I'm not sure what suit you had in mind, but I'd estimate my wingloading wearing an S3 at somewhere around 17:1.

On a slightly different topic:

Who was the first to jump a 3.0+:1 wingloading? My bet's on Charlie Mullins. Beezy Shaw, you got any details on that jump, including the date? I believe it was an Icarus Extreme 58, and he had to beg Precision to build it for him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

To add,I think they finally figured out that higher wing loading was not always better

Maybe Dave can help us out here. There is a point beyond which performance deteriorates and more WL is counterproductive. There was some discussion about this a while back, but I haven't seen anything about it in over a year. Of course there are new canopies and new theories, like wearing weights with a larger canopy to get wingload with some actual wing as well.

So at what point does wingloading degrade performance ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !