daniel52587

Jumping with sunglasses

I wear Gatorz for all m,y jumping, and as yet have not had a problem with them.

I chose Gatorz over other types as they were the only ones that fit my face and gave an "wind proof" seal.

I also wear contacts and have as yet not had a problem with them and the shades.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I'm very light-sensitive, so for me (in full daylight), some sort of shading is a must, whether it be sunglasses under my full-face or tinted mini- flex goggles. Sunset loads I can get away with clear goggles or just the visor on the full-face.

I'm exactly the same way. Whether driving, even on an overcast day, or jumping, I can't stand not having some kind of tinted lenses. I hate jumping on sunny days with clear lenses. I used to jump with prescription sunglasses all the time, then I switched to dark-tinted prescription "sport goggles" I got from my optometrist. I have to admit I'm considering getting yellow-tinted prescription sport goggles, since it does seem to bug some people, plus lately I've been doing more "pay it forward" coach jumps with newbies learning RW.

I used to have Oakleys...

They broke on the plane ride up, they are crap. I have gone thru so many of them - the last pair I ever wore broke on the plane on the ride up (the plastic arm broke).

Since then I have purchased Gatorz. Probably have 200 jumps on them last year. Never an issue... They don't scratch (like oaklys did) and the frames are strong. Every time I have dropped them or found them in the bottom of my gear bag I have said, "Oh crap, I bet they are ruined." I clean off the dirt and they look brand new.

I am a loyal fan because they have lasted the "T test", which means I have used them and they have not broken.:P

Wear glasses don't wear glasses, entirely up to you - if you are learning/teaching/competing you probably need to think about it a bit more than if you are just out having fun
The CLF

On break off turn and track as far and as fast as possible....
Because not only your life depends on it but so does mine!!

first thing... goggles or glasses: stay with clear lenses for a while. you need 110% of your depth perception to avoid putting divots in a perfectly good landing area.

so, later, when landing under fire comes natural..

gatorz with a strap under a well fitted helmet have worked well for me. If it is getting dark, i just pull em down (on a strap or crokies or whateva, dontchaknow?) once under canopy.

unless you have an odd shaped hed, you can find a pair of gatorz that seal against your cheek. if not, stick with goggles.
namaste, motherfucker.

gatorz with a strap under a well fitted helmet have worked well for me. If it is getting dark, i just pull em down once under canopy.

So you'll settle for impaired vision in freefall?

nice catch, but come on, JR, work with me.

of course i won't settle for impaired vision in freefall.

so let me be more specific: If I am on a load later in the day and the landing area is falling in the shadows of the hills, i pull my shades down so i can more safely land.

if we are sneaking a load up and it is 'getting dark' i would like to think i would wear something more appropriate (and i have)
namaste, motherfucker.

You can buy clear lenses for Wiley-x glasses. They have foam almost all the way around the edges. I don't have many jumps with them, but they worked great even tracking on the ones I have made. They come with elastic straps that plug into the temples after you take off the back portion of them. I bought mine on E-bay really cheap. They came with tinted and clear lenses.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

You can buy clear lenses for Wiley-x glasses. They have foam almost all the way around the edges. I don't have many jumps with them, but they worked great even tracking on the ones I have made. They come with elastic straps that plug into the temples after you take off the back portion of them. I bought mine on E-bay really cheap. They came with tinted and clear lenses.

What model do you have. I would like to have the glasses so I can wear them outside of jumping. The goggles dont really look that good for everday wearing. I am not going to spend $130 for glasses that I would only wear in the sky. Know what Im saying.

I dont think i would ever spend $130 on sunglasses, period unless they were perscription. I lose & break them too much.

I could buy 11 pairs of gas station glasses for that!
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

you can pick up curv-z sunglass/goggles for 25 to 30 bucks. They have foam all around the eye socket and come with an adjustable lanyard that works quite well in freefall-it will keep them on in a variety of body positions. liked them enough that i got a second clear set for cloudy/sunset conditions. Sorz on the other hand, I think suck.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

What I have seen a couple of experienced jumpers do is to wear sunglasses for the ride up (C-182), then take them off shortly before jump run. They put on clear goggles to jump with. I think the idea is that they don't have to deal with the light and glare for most of the ride up, but they take the shades off soon enough that their eyes can adjust before they get out. It's a small DZ so sometimes they just stash the sunglasses in the plane somewhere and retrieve them when the plane lands. Otherwise I _think_ they stow them inside their jumpsuit somewhere for the jump.

Personally, I have to wear prescription glasses, so I just use some clear Flex-Z over-the-glasses goggles. (To give you an idea, i'm using your basic $10 desktop PC keyboard right now. Without my glasses, my eyeball has to be no further than 6 inches (15 cm) from the keys to be able to read the letters clearly.) Sometimes it's a little fiddly to get my glasses, goggles, and Protec to agree about where they need to be on my head, but it's not that big a deal.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

You know what I mean...

No. Either you truly believe that your actions don't affect when or how you die (which is what you wrote), or you don't. If your actions don't matter, why bother with the parachute? It just costs money and is a hassle to pack. If you don't believe what you wrote, stop using it as an excuse for your actions.

But to get back on track. I jump with some Adidas Elevation Climacool sunglasses/goggles with prescription lenses. I've had to remove them when jumping in low light conditions to properly detect other canopies. Luckely I didn't have to land out at that time. I got them, not so much for looks, but simply because I want an open-face helmet and prescription lenses. I'll get some clear lenses for them before the season starts again though.

I believe in fate. That is all I mean. I am just saying that when it is your time, it is your time. I never said your actions dont affect how you die. You misinterpreted what I said, and now you put words in my mouth. I said, if it is your time to go, then you will go. Regardless of circumstances. Meaning, for example, if you and your friend get into a car accident and he dies and you dont. Then it was his time. Or if a healthy athlete dies of cancer, then it was his/her time. Regardless of how healthy he/she was, he/she still got cancer and died. If you jump out of an airplane without a parachute and commit suicide, of course you will die. And it was because of your actions, but it was still meant to happen. Your actions do affect whether you die or not, but whatever happens was meant to happen. That was it.

Why do I see this going to speakers corner?

But... if a drunk driver hits you and you die, since you were meant to die at that moment, should the drunk driver really go to prison for merely doing the job fate dictated for him?

Or if you are the drunk driver and you die, did you die because fate said it was your time or because you made a stupid decision to drive drunk?

If your decisions 'do affect whether you die or not', then how does fate have anything to do with it?

If that healthy athlete who died of cancer was a chain smoker (or married to a chain smoker, so second hand smoke), then was it fate or choice that did him in?

If you jump out of a plane without a parachute because you honestly forgot to put your rig on (it's happened) rather than intentional suicide, is that fate or choice?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Why do I see this going to speakers corner?

But... if a drunk driver hits you and you die, since you were meant to die at that moment, should the drunk driver really go to prison for merely doing the job fate dictated for him?

Or if you are the drunk driver and you die, did you die because fate said it was your time or because you made a stupid decision to drive drunk?

If your decisions 'do affect whether you die or not', then how does fate have anything to do with it?

If that healthy athlete who died of cancer was a chain smoker (or married to a chain smoker, so second hand smoke), then was it fate or choice that did him in?

If you jump out of a plane without a parachute because you honestly forgot to put your rig on (it's happened) rather than intentional suicide, is that fate or choice?

Why does everyone think fate 'controls' you and your decisions? You control yourself and your actions. All fate means is, it was meant to happen or supposed to happen. If you walk out the door, it was your decision and you committed to that action. It was just meant to happen. And by the way, if a healthy athlete chains smokes, well he isnt considered healthy now is he.