daniel52587

Jumping with sunglasses

I have to say I am not a fan of goggles. I have seen some pics of guys jumping with sunglasses. The Gatorz glasses look okay, but I would much rather get some oakleys. Has anyone jumped with sunglasses? Do they actually stay on? And would they fit in the mindwarp helmet I am going to get. The attachment pic is the kind I am going to get.

i jump with my Oakley Minutes on every jump. i attach a pair of crokies (sp?) that keep them nice and snug. most people i have talked to prefer gatorz over almost anything out there, but in my own situation i have found that the minutes are a perfect fit for my face for keeping air out and comfort. i wear mine under a 2kcomposites ffx with no problems and i dont think there would be much if any difference for a mindwarp.

your results, of course, may vary if they don't fit your face like they fit mine.

I dont like the way goggles look. Sunglasses are much more sleek and cool looking.

I didn't know that it was supposed to be a fashion show :S

Seriously though, a lot of people won't jump with others that are wearing sunglasses because it's just not the same type of vision. At 10 jumps, I wouldn't be so worried about 'looking cool' but instead, staying safe.

But hey, do what you want.

I guess your right. I just like the sunglasses. Then when I saw pics of other divers wearing them, well I thought they looked pretty cool. Plus you can block out the sun while your diving which is a plus. I believe you can get better shaded vision with sunglasses than with a pair of 14 dollar shaded goggles. But I dont really know since I am a noob, which is why I am asking. Your right though, safety definitely over looks.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2653041;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

From a conversation largely on helmets (post #25)
skycat:"Mind you this is more for snowboarding/skiing, but I believe the concept is the same for a landing crash. Mary used to be ski patrol and someone crashed skiing 1st hit dislodged the sunglasses, 2nd hit the arm of the sunglasses when through his eye."

Up to you to decide how probable/scary you find that scenario. Or of freefall with nothing. I had some loose goggles blow up to my forehead and I didn't find it too difficult to see while I pulled them back down. Not so cool in a group jump, though.

So much of freefall communication is eye contact... if other jumpers can't see your eyes, it's a lot harder for them to read you. I don't like other people jumping with sunglasses. I'll still do it, but don't like it. I wouldn't let a student jump with me on a coach jump with sunglasses though.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

SWEET! That made my day. Thanks. I wasnt sure. I dont like the way goggles look. Sunglasses are much more sleek and cool looking.

Well, you have to look cool, that's for sure. Next in importance is "don't die".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Plus you can block out the sun while your diving which is a plus.

Except when you rush to get onto that last load at sunset, and by the time you get to altitude, the sun is setting, and it's getting dark down below. And now you're vision and depth perception are going to be impaired by those very same sunglasses...

Anybody ever jump in something like these?
http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfolder/motorcycle-glasses/motorcycle-glasses/yellow-lens-glasses/yellow-lens-glasses.html#sunglasses

I find that when I'm riding my motorcycle at dusk, if I put on a pair of yellow-tinted glasses I get a lot better contrast than thru the clear faceshield. Plus, you could definately see the wearers eyes thru these, and plus since they're designed for motorcycling, they keep wind away from the eyes.

I bought a full-face helmet without a shield to continue my training in next season & I was thinking glasses like these might be better than clear goggles, especially near sunset
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Good point John *puke* :D

Seriously i was on a sunset load in the summer and i was in DARK goggles. I even had people commenting saying "you aint gonna see shit"

I really wanted some clear plastic student goggles right then :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Except when you rush to get onto that last load at sunset, and by the time you get to altitude, the sun is setting, and it's getting dark down below. And now you're vision and depth perception are going to be impaired by those very same sunglasses...

C'mon JR..... Think about it.

Ever done a night jump?:P

Seriously. It's the same thing... on a sunset load.

If you wanna be cool. shades are the way. Once you get thru that phase you will understand that skydiving w/ friends is about communication w/ skydivers in freefall. (your friends)

Shades are your worst enemy.:|

If you're a tandem instructor... they are your best friend:):D:D:D
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Sunglasses and kneeflying don't mix, learned the hard way. I wouldn't wear anything up there which cost more than $10, preferably free.

Just for expending my culture ... what exactly is knee flying?
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

... been there done that, was on a "sunset" load a Perris with some way higher jump # buds, at the time... well, they still have a lot more jumps then me... but anyway, I had around 300 jumps at the time, and was on this "sunset" load at Perris, that I should have logged as my first night jump because of it being way after legal "sunset" & having sunglasses on... takin' them off once under canopy wasn't an option, they were perscription... :S

Anyway, my 2 cents to the original poster... try jumping sometime without goggles... then maybe you won't hate them as much.. :P

Just for expending my culture ... what exactly is knee flying?

I think thats what you call it when you're trying to transition from a sit to a stand-up or somesort of other freefly move and wind up on your knees... :P

... kinda like getting out... getting unstable... and calling it freestyle... :P:P

I think thats what you call it when you're trying to transition from a sit to a stand-up or somesort of other freefly move and wind up on your knees... :P

... kinda like getting out... getting unstable... and calling it freestyle... :P:P

OK I see, so it's a transitory&unstable position! Can it give you some drifting if you hold it?

:DNot a freeflyer huh ;)

Knee flying is basically flying on the shins. Did a LOT of that as a camera man. There's much more to it than just part of a transition ... or being unstable cuz ya never learned how to deal with anything more than an advanced student arch :D

Head down, sit, knee flying can be simply just a position... or you can actually fly it.

D123, go ask stuff about freeflying and such in the freeflying forum. You'll get flamed for low jump numbers but blow it off.

As for sunglasses. I jump in gators sometimes but prefer just using mini Flex-Z goggles. The Gators get squished between my head and the helmet which hurts. I've lost one pair of sunglasses already on exit.

Unless you're a student, I don't care if I can see your eyes because the face tells what's necessary by a smile, look of horror or something in between. Only draw back is during a multi-way because you can't tell for certain what the person is looking at.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks guys for clearing that out for me! Right now I'm interrested more in canopy controll than I am in FF but it's a good thing to know what's a kneefly (so I don't die stupid:P)! When I said canopy controll I didn't ment high speed landings!

wiley x's...never had a problem....i only belly flew with them though.....never even came close to flyting off....but to test them to a beter extent...i did this test b4 i jumped to make sure they wont fall off....my friend took me out in his car....put my head out the sunroof, did 150 mph for about 30 seconds....moving my head around all diff ways, still didnt come close to falling off

my wife and i jump with clear lenses...specifically to communicate. once you do many jumps with the same partner, you do communicate with your eyes...no other signals needed. get over "looking cool" to others and start repeating to yourself...."the only person i have to impress in myself." otherwise the skydiving world may not be for you.

I believe that when I am meant to die, I will die. Regardless of circumstances.

That's BS in our sport. There's a lot you can do to improve or lower your chances of living through the weekend. Most of it is in the choices we make . . . gear, training, practice, judgment, and maturity. Be smart and live longer.

BTW, I jump in sunglasses sometimes doing tandems, but don't like tracking wearing them. The air gets under them funny.

I'm very light-sensitive, so for me (in full daylight), some sort of shading is a must, whether it be sunglasses under my full-face or tinted mini- flex goggles. Sunset loads I can get away with clear goggles or just the visor on the full-face.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've travelled a bit and have noted a connection between experience and what kind of eye-wear people use.

Based on personal observation it seems the more jumps a person has the more likely he/she is to use simple cheap goggles such as Flex-Z.

Makes sense. Flex-z's and its counterparts are cheap, extremely durable, comfortable, don't restrict vision and are easily replaceable.

Can't say that about Gatorz. Gotta say they do look cooler but it's a bitch when you're flying in weird position and air hits at a strange angle and pushes a contact lens up somewhere it's not supposed to be. Flex-Zs don't have this disadvantage.

The more you jump the higher the risk of breaking or losing stuff.